Dune (2020) by Dennis Villeneuve

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is it comparable to? 2049?
I'd say yes in many ways. 2049 was perhaps more visually stunning. Roger Deakins created some real magic there with the lighting colours etc. However Dune is a different situation. No city and lights like 2049. But it is still extremely beautiful and as per Denis Villeneuve's previous work, a real artistic masterpiece on all levels.

The costumes are amazing and something really sci-fi. Also the world building. Everything is very minimalist, which looks great. Special effects for things like the body shields look amazing, and are very realistic in their use and way they work. I won't say any more on that.

I love how they've interpreted stuff like use of "the voice", and the Harkanens are depicted as extremely brutal. Same in many cases with the Fremen, but in a different way.

I really think it helps if you've read the book though.

As I mentioned above this is an artistic movie with many levels, not a Marvel popcorn flick. I guess to circle back to your question, it's like all of Denis Villeneuve's other movies. 2049, Sicario, Arrival etc

D4C8C84B-6E8B-4201-9E47-8E15BBA22FF2.jpeg

This will be epic!

Epic like Star Wars.... no. More like Ghandi. But that's fine. As long as I remain interested.

I have to admit, as much as 2049 mesmerized me, I did lose interest here and there.

Wait, did you mean Alita the movie or did you

Spoiler Spoiler:

Alita, the Movie... the first half of what will never be seen again. My reference was in the fact that they do make 'first halves' that never see their ending. Many actually. Not everything is IW/EG.

Why would I say Alia?

You know, Ghandi. Epic. Academy Best Picture. David Lean. And boring as ****.

I don't even remember it. I've seen it, but I can't remember. To be fair, when I hear the name Gandhi, I think of Kingsley, don't even think about the actual Gandhi. Same happens with Patton and George C. Scott.
T.E Lawrence too. That's terrible.

Hopefully in the future when you hear Dune you won't just think about the Twink lead and nothing else memorable.

I've never seen the original, but I've seen a few scenes, and I prefer Paul's old costume over the new one. It's a vibrant black. New one looks sandy. I had the same issue with Tom Hardy's "Max."

L4XGwOf.jpg

I'm looking forward to watching this at some point. But, to be honest I don't really remember much about the story.

I know I enjoyed the original movie and the Scifi miniseries. I own both on DVD, so debating if I should go and revisit those again 1st before watching this. Maybe they'll jog my memory on the story and I'll actually remember what the hell is going on during this movie. :lol

And I still haven't watched Blade Runner 2049 for the same reason. Its been so long since I watched the original. I need to finally open the deuxe Bluray I bought years ago and watch it 1st so I know what the hell is going on.

Alita, the Movie... the first half of what will never be seen again. My reference was in the fact that they do make 'first halves' that never see their ending. Many actually. Not everything is IW/EG.

Why would I say Alia?
My mistake - it’s been ages since I’ve read Dune or seen the Lynch movie, but as her arrival was pivotal to the latter stages of both she came to mind first. In other words, I initially misread Alita as Alia and thought you were wondering if the movie ends before she appears.

I've never seen the original, but I've seen a few scenes, and I prefer Paul's old costume over the new one. It's a vibrant black. New one looks sandy. I had the same issue with Tom Hardy's "Max."

L4XGwOf.jpg
Yes, the vibrant black suits looked good but they never made sense for desert dwellers like the Fremen. Stillsuits are designed to capture/purify/recycle the body's fluids, but unless I'm forgetting something the idea wasn't to make you sweat profusely all of the time.

I'm looking forward to watching this at some point. But, to be honest I don't really remember much about the story.

I know I enjoyed the original movie and the Scifi miniseries. I own both on DVD, so debating if I should go and revisit those again 1st before watching this. Maybe they'll jog my memory on the story and I'll actually remember what the hell is going on during this movie. :lol

And I still haven't watched Blade Runner 2049 for the same reason. Its been so long since I watched the original. I need to finally open the deuxe Bluray I bought years ago and watch it 1st so I know what the hell is going on.
Sounds like you need to set some priorities :)

Dune follows the book very closely, so a brief youtube refresher would be enough I'd say. Otherwise you know too much going in.

Here's a quick video on the cinematography of Bladerunner. If that isn't enough to make you want to watch it, I don't know what will. Music is second to none for Sci-Fi.

Back