Statue Doctor Doom Maquette (2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This had the possibility of being one of the absolute best Doom statues to date. I absolutely love the stance. The sculptor did an amazing job on the tunic, and the masks are just what I was wanting.. a forbidding authoritarian masterpiece. With high anticipation, I opened mine. The factory did a fantastic job on the piece; the paint looks amazing with fantastic sheen on the armor and just the right amount of shading on the tunic. Photos of the armor are incredibly deceiving because in the photos, the armor just looks like standard metallic paint. But it is something far more than that. In fact, I've never seen anyone accomplish what is going on with the paint here. The metallic effect and color they achieved is truly unique amongst the dozens of armored pieces I've seen. Absolutely beautiful in every way.

Unfortunately, the one thing I didn't notice from the photos was just how out-of-scale the head was to the body. It's something you don't pick up on in the photos, but in hand... it's a deal-breaker for me. It is RIDICULOUSLY small in comparison to the body. It's such a shame really. Seems to be a trend going on where sculptors shrink the head to make the body look even more massive. If you can deal with looking at this on the daily without constantly being drawn to the pinhead, you will love it. It's the best Doctor Doom ever made IMO, which is why the small portraits piss me off so. Neither the sculptor, the art directors, nor the printer/caster said.. "Hey you know, maybe you should go back and take a look at the proportions".. sigh...

Doom without armor, below.

Doom.jpg

Last edited:
I have to agree with you on your points. What a shame, as the overall concept and sculpt is very well done, even if I'm not a huge, huge fan of muscled armor. And on top of that it's from everyone's favorite sculptor Daniel Bel. I just don't like the pinhead look. Some people do, but I'm with you Computerfly. Sideshow could have had a masterpiece on their hands, but the fact that they messed up on what seems like something someone should have easily noticed is just bizarre.

Still, I'm sure there are plenty of collectors who do love the art direction on this piece and don't have problems with the head size. Those guys will be happy with this.

I remember when the last Doom PF came out there were some scattered complaints that he looked too small/thin. That the PF needed to be bigger or have more bulk. Someone specifically mentioned JRJR as an art source. Romita Jr definitely draws a more larger looking Doom. This MAQ certainly qualifies as that. I agree that the head sculpt is too small for his body. That said, I think the hood does a decent job of concealing just how small the portrait is. I think it's a solid looking statue. However, I've never been a big fan of such a thick looking Doom. I always felt he focused more on intellect or knowledge, not his bench press or squats. My favorite version of Doom will always be John Byrne's. He definitely draws Doom as a normal sized man in an armor. I thought the last PF by Ray Villafane captured Byrne's Doom perfectly. I really like that PF, I just wish it was fully sculpted.

Back