Dioder alternative?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys! I have the new dioder set with the warm white color. And I saw at bar lighting.com that they have a cool white set but the cables connector for the strips are only 3feet long:/ too short to go threw the detolf cabinets. Does anybody know if I can use the dioder wires on with the cool white strips from bar lighting.com? Or is there another alternative? Thanks!

very informative thread. I did not know Ikea had changed the LED's in teh Dioder kit until I bought an additional Detolf cabinet to add to my toy display and installed the lights, plugged them in and pushed the switch and shocked the light was so yellow and so less bright than the others I purchased a year or more ago. I was very disappointed to say the least but i ad already run all the wires, etc. and wasn't going to tear it back out. So, now i'm looking at the LED Bar Lighting website or contemplating replacing them all with custom LED strip setup. I"ll need a good 16' at least to cover all the cabinets.

it's clear in the picture which is the new LED Dioder kit and the results it provides are absolutely awful.

photo80.JPG

In this picture, the one that has an orange hue to it. Is that considered the warm or cool white(or just their "new white")? I'm trying to figure out which dioder strip to get.

For those in the UK...

I bought these today from B&Q...

B&Q Select Apex Under Cabinet White LED Lighting Kit, Pack of 4

https://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/kitch...ighting-Kit-Pack-of-4-10547669?skuId=11038360

A bit pricey at almost £30 - but they have more LED's than the IKEA version (about 3 more LED lights in the actual strip). Cool White light (a quick test against the original IKEA ones show they're very similar).

If like me you've been searching for ages with no luck, and you don't have the time/skill/patience to buy an LED strip and piece it together yourself, this is the next best thing to the IKEA ones.

Thanks.

p.s. will post pics once I've installed them.

Ok guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I finally found an alternative for Ikea's old Dioders. Like many of you, I recently purchased Ikea's white dioder set and found that the yellow tint didn't match the rest of my lights. I saw barlighting.com being thrown around as a good substitute, so I decided to give that a go. The problem with barlighting's white leds are that they are slightly cooler than Ikeas, clocking in at roughly 6000k, which gives them a slightly blue hue.

After trying out many different led light strips and comparing them to the old Dioders, I've narrowed the correct color temperature to 4500k. 4000k will be slightly yellow compared to the old lights, while 5000k is hospital white. Anyways, even after narrowing down the color temperature, it seems that many companies sell light strips with color temperatures in a certain range (i.e. 4000k-4500k), as opposed to a set number. After trying several LED strips and promptly returning them, due the the discrepancies of listed vs actual color temperature, I stumbled upon an ebay seller who offers just what we are looking for.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/350788493803?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This is the link for a light strip that perfectly matches Ikea's old Dioders. All you need is a 12v power supply, some red/black extension cables, and you will have the perfect alternative.

If the link is dead by the time you are reading this, they have the color temperature listed at 4200k-4700k, which is our best bet in matching the Dioder's 4500k.

There's only one potential problem with the strip you linked. It's 5050 LEDs in a 60 per meter density. That's INSANELY bright and sucks up a ton of power compared to the smaller 3538 size. The smaller ones are plenty to light any shelf IKEA sells - I have to use very small segments or sometimes knock out groups of 3 LEDs to tone down the light output. If you're trying to light a room, that's anther story entirely. ;)

link to simple power supply and red/black cables from amazon?

There's only one potential problem with the strip you linked. It's 5050 LEDs in a 60 per meter density. That's INSANELY bright and sucks up a ton of power compared to the smaller 3538 size. The smaller ones are plenty to light any shelf IKEA sells - I have to use very small segments or sometimes knock out groups of 3 LEDs to tone down the light output. If you're trying to light a room, that's anther story entirely. ;)

Good point, but nothing a cheap dimmer can't solve.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007V1B0W8/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

link to simple power supply and red/black cables from amazon?
Here's the power supply. There are cheaper options, but there's no delay with this one, and it's a trusted brand.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007A4LTLS/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link to extension cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VCZ4V8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They've got a different connector. I've got a set of the older Idea Dioders and a lot of the barlighting sets, and their cables are not compatible. I like the barlighting stuff better.

Is there any reason that longer connection cable (https://www.barlighting.com/Connector-Cables-LED-Strip-Kit-p/srp-2cc.htm) wouldn't fit in the Ikea Dioder multi-colored strip hub?

I like the blue-ish hue in my cabinets, but the cords are way too short. This would be the easiest answer for me if they would work.

Anybody try this yet?

They've got a different connector. I've got a set of the older Idea Dioders and a lot of the barlighting sets, and their cables are not compatible. I like the barlighting stuff better.

So there is absolutely no chance to find an excention cable for the current ikea dioders? :( :( :(

Inexpensive lighting is easier to install them most people think

I found these Cool White LED panels on eBay for 99 cents
$_57.JPG

Here is a link to the auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1311862418...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

You can easily attach some wire leads to these and power them with a 4-12vdc power supply and a simple switch.

LEDS are hard to break, as long as you don’t exceed the recommended voltage they will be ok. You hook the positive lead to one leg and the ground to the other. If it doesn’t work, swap them.

Once you figure one panel out, you can wire up the rest with red/black 26 gauge wire.

You could light an entire display for less then $20

Here is my War Machine cabinet with full custom lighting:

The shelves have 36” LED rope lights and I replaced the 120VAC halogen lights in the Pucks with the 12VDC LED Panels.

Then I removed the plugs and connected them to a 3.7VDC cell phone power suply with wire nuts.

The center is still Warm White Halogens, so you can see a huge differnce in the lighting.

I could make some inexpensive lighting kits and sell them on this forum but I’m not going to pay $35 year to make a few bucks selling something that is very easy to make.

Has anyone used the sylvania mosiac lights. Looks like costco has/had 6 packs of 2 ft strips for $30. Color changing with remote and dimmer. Seems perfect for bestas.

Back