Dioder alternative?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone used the sylvania mosiac lights. Looks like costco has/had 6 packs of 2 ft strips for $30. Color changing with remote and dimmer. Seems perfect for bestas.

I have a set that I use behind my TV. They're great for setting different colors, but the white is too blue in my opinion.

I have a set that I use behind my TV. They're great for setting different colors, but the white is too blue in my opinion.

yeah I wish they stated the temp, I have read it isn't a warm white (not close to 2700), but video I have seen it looks pretty pure white, although that might only be when at its brightest (which is probably too bright for the cabinets).

Dioder is on sale at ikea this month for $20 ($30 for colors), tempted to jump on it, but $30 for four 24" strips just seems like a better deal and it comes with a remote and easier to buy extenders compared to dioder

The multi color dioders are just as blue. I would say that both the costco lights and the dioders are over 6000K. The only leds I was able to find that were the same white as the original white dioders were the strips I posted about earlier in the thread, which were around 4500k.

I know its a long shot but if anyone has went a different route with lights cause of the shortage and has any Ikea cool white dioders that they are not using now. I'm looking for a set. Ready to buy!

Anyone know the return policy at Ikea? I threw away my receipt before I put my lights up and one of my sets of colored Dioder strips doesn't work. Can I bring them in to exchange without a receipt?

In Canada its 90 days - generally you should have your receipt, so I don't know what they can/will do for you without one. If they're like some other stores, they may be able to easily reference the transaction if you paid using a credit card.

So was there ever a consensus on what the BEST cool white alternative is?

Was at Ikea's a couple weeks back and came across the lights section which had Dioders on display. Fiddled around with the multi-color spots, the brightest setting (full white) on that is 'cooler' than the normal white spots. Wanted to try the same with the strips, but they didn't have those on display.

Still, it is up to you to find out which lights fit the best with your collection.

I noticed people talking about the barlighting connecting strips being too short, and therefore the connecting box has to be mounted midway up a detolf, etc. But doesn't barlighting sell cables in different lengths that will solve this issue?

I'm looking for one set of Ikea original cool white dioders. If anyone is willing to part with a set I'm willing to pay handsomely for them. I am working with 9 sets and even though I know the barlighting.com ones are brighter I just can't fathom changing everything out. Pm me and name your price if your interested. Happy holidays to all!

Any of you guys using tape lights? They are cheap for alot of light considering what you pay for the bars of leds. Just trying to wrap my head around how to set them up for shelves.

Does anyone know what cool white led strips I can use to replace my Dioder warm white strips into the Dioder 2 pin connectors?
Is it easy enough to cut from a reel and connect them?

I'm in the UK. Thanks

If you're going to replace all the LEDs of a Dioder, then you might as well replace the whole thing, including its wiring and power supply. If the power supply is anywhere from 9 to 15v (12v is typical for LED strips), then you can use any number of LED strips. However if you don't know what you're doing you'd better read up a little bit on voltage, current and resistance, the absolute basics. As well as how to calculate wattage (current x voltage). What you'll need to be careful of is that you don't overload the power supply with the new LEDs. You'll need to know how much current the new LEDs are pulling (at the voltage of the supply) as well as how much current the power supply can deliver. Allow 15-25% head room (that means the power supply should be able to supply 15-25% more than your LEDs need).

Someone beat me to posting this in the "Lights for detolf" thread but he didn't get any answers so I figured I'd try this one.

I'm looking at getting my first detolf and ran across these..

| Custom Led Light Kits & Collectable Toys

I was wondering if anyone has tried them. They come in cool and warm light .The Downlighter kit isn't the cheapest.. but then neither are the Dioders.

I might give these a try.. otherwise just buy a roll of LEDs and wiring it up myself.

so now i'll be buying my first set of ikea diorder multicolor led set.

Questions:
- is this a good buy to put in my display cabinets? im using a white cabinet.
- is it bright enough for my display? i'll be using cool white or warm white.
- is it safe to run it on long hours?

Hope someone can enlighten me.
Thank you guys!

read through the thread and was looking at the barlighting.com site but their cool white strip kits seem to be out of stock. trying to find new lights for a billy, any new recommendations?

Its really easy to make you own LED lights, much more customizable and MUCH better lighting....any colors you want.

PM if you need help...took me a few hours on a weekend to do all of them.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/how-to-display-your-collectibles/160832-detolf-build-custom-led-setup-instructions.html

IMG_7469.jpg

read through the thread and was looking at the barlighting.com site but their cool white strip kits seem to be out of stock. trying to find new lights for a billy, any new recommendations?

They're good lights too, I tried to order more but also noticed they were out of stock. Apparently they're changing suppliers.

I'm looking to light a very large curio cabinet. Are Ledbergs any good? I need a longer strip to stretch across the shelves. I also need them to be easy to install. [emoji1] Any advice would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
I'm looking to light a very large curio cabinet. Are Ledbergs any good? I need a longer strip to stretch across the shelves. I also need them to be easy to install. [emoji1] Any advice would be most appreciated.

I just ordered something from NDR Electric and am quite happy with the whole lighting system. Give them a look.

Back