Did ‘Star Wars’ become a toy story? Producer Gary Kurtz looks back

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm listening to that Daily Show interview.

I like Lucas' attitude towards the hate of the PT. "It's not real." Incredibly true.

I can ingnore those movies. No problem. I just wish he would still throw his fans a bone, and give us what we want, so you can make more money.

I enjoyed the battle scene in AOTC and know exactly whats going on to ANakin, Obi-Wan, and Padme because they keep cutting back to them the entire time. Actually, when things go to hell in a hand basket there is a rescue at the end which leads to the battle at the end of the movie.

Yeah I know you did. I know you like those movies, and that's cool....but I just disagree. To me, it takes away from the point. A good action scene revolves around the main character(s). Everything that happens is either a direct result, or an indirect result of their actions.

Some times yes, the characters get placed aside for a scene of action, but it has to have a reason. I didnt like that scene because it just seemed too much for a rescue scene. IMO.

The ending battle of TPM was better. All nitpicks aside, every battle is a direct, or indirect result of the characters. Obi, Qui Gon, Maul. Anakin, Spaceship. Pademe, That one guy.... Jar Jar, Droids.

I dunno, that's how I learned to do action.

Guess thats the great thing. You can ignore the PT and just pretend its a three movie series and I can enjoy Star Wars for what it is a six movie series. Oh and the CW which is pretty damn awesome.

I want to watch that show. Pretty damn badly. But I just cant sit down and watch a show...:( I dont have time. :(

But I will get to it when it's all done with. I heard nothing but good things.

I want to watch that show. Pretty damn badly. But I just cant sit down and watch a show...:( I dont have time. :(

But I will get to it when it's all done with. I heard nothing but good things.

Buy them on Blu. You can watch them whenever you have time. Each show is 22 mins long.

But the locus of the action moved from rescuing the jedi and senator to pursuit of Dooku and arrest of the Separatists.

There was that whole big battle of just Clones and Droids. I didnt care for it.

And i'll consider the Blu Ray. It looks great, and ive heard little negetivety towards it.

You can't put two armies together in battle and tell them to stop because film esthetics demand it. :lol

Seems to me like CelticP's point is, AOTC could have not shown any of the battle, outside of what Anakin/Obi-Wan/Padme are experiencing.

He's saying that when a bunch of clonetroopers drop out of a gunship and start running across the dessert shooting at the droids, since the main characters are somewhere else, the scene is no longer relevant.

I agree to a point, but at the same time, this is more than a battle. It's the beginning of a war that will canonically shape the fate of the entire Star Wars galaxy.

You could consider it an "establishing shot," for the Clone War itself. It's important to see. Just as you'd need an establishing shot when introducing a new character, you need one when introducing a major ongoing event.

The relevance to the main characters is that it changes their entire world from then on. The battle itself is a direct result of Palpatine's actions anyway. So just because it breaks the rules you were taught does not mean it shouldn't have been there, you just have to look at it differently.

And also, some people actually like to watch massive armies fight each other and blow stuff up. :lol

ANYWAY, to keep this post relevant to the actual topic of the thread, I'll say that Gary Kurtz does seem a little overly bitter about Star Wars/Lucas, but I agree that Lucas just wants to wipe his arse with as much money as possible.

I don't think there's any relevance between decisions about character death and the toy sales of said character. Han dying in a meaningful way might make him more popular in toy sales, so kids can re-enact his tragic death. I think the decision was made by Lucas regardless of toy sales.

Also, Star Wars is Lucas's sandbox, but he's charging us to play in it. And he only built the box. He had other people fill it up with sand for him.

Last edited:
Seems to me like CelticP's point is, AOTC could have not shown any of the battle, outside of what Anakin/Obi-Wan/Padme are experiencing.

He's saying that when a bunch of clonetroopers drop out of a gunship and start running across the dessert shooting at the droids, since the main characters are somewhere else, the scene is no longer relevant.

I dunno...maybe if they gave the clones more character...or something. I just didnt like it. I think putting Obi Wan and Anakin in the battle would've been better. But this is just me.

It all does boil down that the PT doesnt have a single main character.....which yes, the RLM guys showed me. Although, there's nothing in the rule book that says you cant have more then one main character...so who knows.

Also, Star Wars is Lucas's sandbox, but he's charging us to play in it. And he only built the box. He had other people fill it up with sand for him.

Disagree. It's nothing you have to pay for. There's no 300lb Guido holding a gun to your head making you buy tickets to the Star Wars films or making you buy the DVDs.

Disagree. It's nothing you have to pay for. There's no 300lb Guido holding a gun to your head making you buy tickets to the Star Wars films or making you buy the DVDs.

:lecture I disagree about your disagreement.

I never said anything about being forced to "play in the sandbox."

However, it does in fact cost money to buy movie tickets or DVD's. You can choose to buy them, or not. So you can play in Lucas's sandbox, or not.

Once again, you seem to infer someone has said something, when they never did, and then disagree with it. Just as teemu never said he thought the world would end in 2012.

You've rejected my reality and substituted your own.

I hope you enjoy arguing more than I do, or else you must have a terrible time on these forums. :)

:lecture I disagree about your disagreement.

I never said anything about being forced to "play in the sandbox."

However, it does in fact cost money to buy movie tickets or DVD's. You can choose to buy them, or not. So you can play in Lucas's sandbox, or not.

That's my point. Nobody's forcing you to pay. You don't have to play in his sandbox if you don't want to pay for it. But if you do, that's on you, not Lucas. And I wouldn't expect him, nor anybody else to offer handouts. That's entitlement douchery.

Sometimes I think people are being contrarian and feeling picked on just because it's nam posting. Not actually reading what he's posted nor thinking about what they are saying instead choosing to be argumentative and to feel picked on.

That being said, pix likes Ewoks. Pix likes Harrison Ford NOT dying.

Last edited:
Sometimes I think people are being contrarian and feeling picked on just because it's nam posting. Not actually reading what he's posted nor thinking about what they are saying instead choosing to be argumentative and to feel picked on.

From my point of view, nam was being (as he has been before) an instigator. It seemed to me like he was trying to start an argument.

Perhaps in this scenario, I am the instigator, so I will apologise. But it seems nam was pulling things out of thin air to disagree with.

I suppose my past experiences with nam have prejudiced me against him somewhat.

I am somewhat offended by your comment (as if it wasn't obvious.) But in any case, I will move on.

Sorry for all the fuss.

From my point of view, nam was being (as he has been before) an instigator. It seemed to me like he was trying to start an argument.

Perhaps in this scenario, I am the instigator, so I will apologise. But it seems nam was pulling things out of thin air to disagree with.

I suppose my past experiences with nam have prejudiced me against him somewhat.

I am somewhat offended by your comment (as if it wasn't obvious.) But in any case, I will move on.

Sorry for all the fuss.

IdeaOfEvil and myself were just having a simple discussion about our differences of opinion on the topic. Starpoof and you are the tag team trolls who derailed the thread with off-topic, instigating bull____. Scroll back and see for yourself. :huh

IdeaOfEvil and myself were just having a simple discussion about our differences of opinion on the topic. Starpoof and you are the tag team trolls who derailed the thread with off-topic, instigating bull____. Scroll back and see for yourself. :huh

Yup, thus I apologized "for all the fuss."

I'm not sure what you mean about a simple discussion with IdeaOfEvil, but I took pix's post to be directed at me, as it was posted directly afterwards. If not, then my mistake.

Anyway, I suggest that if you have anything further to add, that you PM me instead. I have nothing more to add, and will apologize again for the super thread-derailment.

Back