Detolf Lighting - Dioder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLOSI

Nerf Herder
Reaction score
So I just bought a Detolf from IKEA the other day. I'm very happy with it and it seems to be the perfect, inexpensive (59.99), solution to my 12" figure display needs. I picked up a set of Dioder LED lights for the Detolf. I set all four light pads up coming through the hole at the top of the Detolf and strung to each of the four corners, by the vertical metal poles, allowing light to filter down, unblocked by my collectables that are positioned in the center of each shelf.

So here's my issue: What can I do with the miles of wires that I now have sticking out of the top of my Detolf??? I was hoping that some of you may have come up with some good ideas. At the moment I just positioned a picture frame in a way that keeps the wires out of site, but for the long term I'd love to come up with something even more creative and clean, so to speak. I just want the wires to remain hidden.
70152_PE185534_S4.jpg

As you can see by the image there's a TON of wire, and I'm only utilizing about 6-10 inches for each of the lights, add in the connector box and the small box that runs from the power cord and you've got a ton of stuff just sitting on top of the display. The small power cord box does have a couple screw holes, allowing it to be attached to the top of the cabinet. If I can group everything in together tight enough I can then hide it behind (or under????) something.... at least that's my thought. Help!

:banghead

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you, but, can you tell me if these dioder LED light produce any heat if left switched on over a longer periode of time? LED's should be cool, but, since you can tell for sure, I thought I'd ask.
Light is always an issue when displaying collectibles: heat, wires, etc.. I would hate for my 12" figures to start melting, as some on this board have already experienced! Besides, polystone isn't really immune to heat exposure as well.

These dioders give virtually no heat at all, i have about 2 dozen running on my displays, used all evening as my room side lights so i dont have to use my main lights.

As for hiding wires, mine are all high enough to hide the wires and transformers on top without being visible!

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you, but, can you tell me if these dioder LED light produce any heat if left switched on over a longer periode of time? LED's should be cool, but, since you can tell for sure, I thought I'd ask.
Light is always an issue when displaying collectibles: heat, wires, etc.. I would hate for my 12" figures to start melting, as some on this board have already experienced! Besides, polystone isn't really immune to heat exposure as well.

**** W A R N I N G ****

After 4 visits to UK ( Glasgow) Ikea and still no stock I asked an assistant when they would be in- I was informed unlike all the lamps on display the Dioder strip lights arent there to collect- you have to ask an assistant to print you out an order, you pay at the till for them then go collect them in an other area,

Hope this saves somebody the grief I went through trying to get these.
I will not be using them till the week before xmas- building up a Detolf with 1 set of 4 strips on top and 1 set of 4 strips two shelfes down.
I couldnt use the round ones as they werent right for my set up,

Also Note to anybody getting a mirror for the back, If you goto a glass company they will supply the mirror in the perfect size- get them to drill out any holes you need to pass wires through, for these round ones I would get the original glass and mark where the 4 cables would pass through and take this as a template, remember these wires can be cut and joined from the LED units to the connecters if needed as they are low voltage DC.

Note to anybody making a riser, Get some wood form your local wood yard and make a small strong frame(easy to do) then purchase any cheap Ikea wardrobe door or similar in the same colour ie brown/black and cut it up as facing for your riser- aim to make the finished riser around 1 mil or less than the size of the base of the Detolf, I will post my efforts nearer Xmas, got to find a welder next.

Billy

Zip ties. Pull the wires tight, zip tie where necessary, then roll up the final excess, zip tie that and stand the round neatly tied circle of wire upright between the wall and Detolf.

I drilled a hole in the base of mine and ran the wires up one of the side supports. They're barely noticeable now and all the wires are tidy and hidden underneath the units.

The drilled hole is close to the right front support, as i use the dioder strips which are positioned along the underside front of each shelf

I have my wires running down the side of the detolf, out through the front door, then underneath. You can pull them tight at the bottom and secure with a zip tie to make sure they aren't loose/ugly/intrusive. :duff

_MG_6110.jpg

This is what I did: I carefully lined the wires along the metal frame with clear tape. It took a while but it's worth it! You can just hide all of them behind the tin frame. I then, drilled 2 holes at the back of the Detolf and ran the wires under the glass.

NKvJMl.jpg

rMSzRl.jpg

I hope that helps! :hi5:

I have my wires running down the side of the detolf, out through the front door, then underneath. You can pull them tight at the bottom and secure with a zip tie to make sure they aren't loose/ugly/intrusive. :duff

_MG_6110.jpg
Hey man, where did you get that Walter White figure from?

Back