DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
February 13, 2014.

It's been officially 10 (TEN) years since this incredible and, at the time, unexpected collection was announced at the 2014 New York Toy Fair.

Who could have imagined that 10 years from then we would still be getting new figures?
Who could have imagined we would have gotten not one, but 3 massive vehicles and a Batcave?
Who could have imagined we would have gotten characters like Montoya, Condiment King, Roxy and Lock-up?

In my opinion, this line revived the Batman Animated merchandise craze. Period.
Only AFTER this line became a hit did other companies start to produce a vast array of BTAS merchandise stuff again, like statues, busts, pop!s and even products for kids and school stuff, just like in the 90s.

It should be studied.
Unlike Star Wars, for example, BTAS hasn't had any new content (episodes, seasons or films) in over 25 years to "justify" the revival of its merchandise. It has been pure love and devotion from fans, new and old ones. It's pure demand. Huge demand.
It's unprecedent.

Last edited:
Bullock was already re-released last year, in an exclusive Wal-Mart 4-pack with Batman, Joker and Harley, all cell-shaded.

Seeing as we've also had an individual re-release of Batman (with a new body), I am hoping that Bullock gets an individual release too. Joker and Harley Quinn as individual releases too would be good.

Despite being cel-shaded, that 4-pack seems to be based on the original DC Direct figure molds, rather than the new McFarlane figures.

As someone who is only now just collecting the line, I'd like my figures to be consistent with each other. I've picked up Batman, Scarecrow, and Mr. Freeze, and I'd like my other figures to be McFarlane versions, rather than DC, if that makes sense.

Seeing as we've also had an individual re-release of Batman (with a new body), I am hoping that Bullock gets an individual release too. Joker and Harley Quinn as individual releases too would be good.

Despite being cel-shaded, that 4-pack seems to be based on the original DC Direct figure molds, rather than the new McFarlane figures.

As someone who is only now just collecting the line, I'd like my figures to be consistent with each other. I've picked up Batman, Scarecrow, and Mr. Freeze, and I'd like my other figures to be McFarlane versions, rather than DC, if that makes sense.
The 'new' McFarlane BTAS figures are still the 'old' DC Direct figures. They're the exact same sculpts, aside from the odd tweak here and there, such as Batman's head sculpt. The only real difference between the 'new' and the 'old' ones is the paint jobs.

The new McFarlane BTAS figures don’t even scale with the old figures. I’m not understanding the praise for the line unless you’re rebuying every figure in the new scale or am I missing something? I was going to buy Condiment King but then saw he was absolutely huge compared to the old figures.

I prefer the matte finish and the non-cell shaded paint DC Collectibles one.
The McFarlane cell shading is not good, to put it lightly.

I had to buy a Batman recently after realizing the bat cycle did not include a figure. I couldn’t believe how odd it looked - luckily he’s hunched over on the bike and the cape is hiding most of it.

At least the Mondo shading is more subtle and looks like some thought went into it.

The McFarlane cell shading is not good, to put it lightly.

I had to buy a Batman recently after realizing the bat cycle did not include a figure. I couldn’t believe how odd it looked - luckily he’s hunched over on the bike and the cape is hiding most of it.

At least the Mondo shading is more subtle and looks like some thought went into it.
Yes, I prefer no cell shading at all,
but I agree Mondo does it better.

I never purchased any McFarlane animated Batman series, how's the mold and plastic compared to the DC Collectibles one?

I don't know if it has been post here already, but have you guys seen the new batman adventures Re-realeses? Seems no BAF this time and batman, croc, two face and batgirl go first. Cel shaded seems pretty tone down so they appear to be listening to fans. Shiny vs Matte is still a thing and at least the old figures rettain some value this way.

The could have changed Two face legs and feet but I'll bite on him and batman. They are pricey in the 2nd market.

Yes, I prefer no cell shading at all,
but I agree Mondo does it better.

I never purchased any McFarlane animated Batman series, how's the mold and plastic compared to the DC Collectibles one?
I don’t recall what the DC Collectible figures were like to compare with McFarlane.

I know that both figures suffer from being top heavy since the legs and feet are so narrow.

I put most of my small figures in storage several years ago when I decided to put an emphasis on displaying my larger scale collectibles (1:6 and up).

for some reason, I must of forgotten or not paid attention when the original Batcycle was released. This reissue is the only reason I got back into the line with the figure and vehicle - although I think the original Batcycle was painted differently (more black, less blue).

I don’t recall what the DC Collectible figures were like to compare with McFarlane.

I know that both figures suffer from being top heavy since the legs and feet are so narrow.

I put most of my small figures in storage several years ago when I decided to put an emphasis on displaying my larger scale collectibles (1:6 and up).

for some reason, I must of forgotten or not paid attention when the original Batcycle was released. This reissue is the only reason I got back into the line with the figure and vehicle - although I think the original Batcycle was painted differently (more black, less blue).
It’s weird. I sold off a lot of my DCC figures last year due to some life stuff and I recently started buying some of the re-releases back on the cheap, but I gotta say: I received Wave 2 the day after I got the Mondo Man-Bat and it just didn’t elicit the same joy I thought it would. I love the new packaging, but even that’s just kind of not enough on its own. I think part of it is that, between the oddly scaled build-a-figures and the sloppy quality, the line very much feels like an afterthought for McFarlane. Which sucks because he’s been putting out some great stuff in the Multiverse line, otherwise.

But the other thing is Mondo’s restructuring into more of a toy company. I know the line has its detractors, but I always kind of committed to “DC Direct will provide an extensive roster and I’ll be lucky if I see so much as a Mondo Robin and Joker within the next decade before they decide they’re done with it.” Now, we’re getting Man-Bat and Bane and Phantasm and all kinds of stuff and they’re looking great. Do I want a Mondo Kyodai Ken or Red Claw? Hell no. I’m not that into it, but the notion that we might get the core rogue’s gallery as well as some surprises like Clayface in the future? I’m definitely a lot more invested in the line than I once was.

It also helps that they’re loaded with accessories and alternate display options, they do a fantastic job of capturing the character models, and just the general shelf presence. I love that DCC scales well with MAFEX and other 1:12th stuff that I collect, but in god knows how many iterations, I’ve yet to see a Batman sculpt that even comes close to capturing Timm’s art style the way Mondo’s do.

It’s weird. I sold off a lot of my DCC figures last year due to some life stuff and I recently started buying some of the re-releases back on the cheap, but I gotta say: I received Wave 2 the day after I got the Mondo Man-Bat and it just didn’t elicit the same joy I thought it would. I love the new packaging, but even that’s just kind of not enough on its own. I think part of it is that, between the oddly scaled build-a-figures and the sloppy quality, the line very much feels like an afterthought for McFarlane. Which sucks because he’s been putting out some great stuff in the Multiverse line, otherwise.

But the other thing is Mondo’s restructuring into more of a toy company. I know the line has its detractors, but I always kind of committed to “DC Direct will provide an extensive roster and I’ll be lucky if I see so much as a Mondo Robin and Joker within the next decade before they decide they’re done with it.” Now, we’re getting Man-Bat and Bane and Phantasm and all kinds of stuff and they’re looking great. Do I want a Mondo Kyodai Ken or Red Claw? Hell no. I’m not that into it, but the notion that we might get the core rogue’s gallery as well as some surprises like Clayface in the future? I’m definitely a lot more invested in the line than I once was.

It also helps that they’re loaded with accessories and alternate display options, they do a fantastic job of capturing the character models, and just the general shelf presence. I love that DCC scales well with MAFEX and other 1:12th stuff that I collect, but in god knows how many iterations, I’ve yet to see a Batman sculpt that even comes close to capturing Timm’s art style the way Mondo’s do.
They are also really expensive, to have the complete rogues gallery(without secondary foes) and some good guys you'll be expending 6000$ aprox. That's if you get it from the states. For european buyers like myself a bit more with taxes and all. I spent maybe 700$ in all my collection with new batman adventures and btas lines, buying the majority of them for 13-20$.

They are also really expensive, to have the complete rogues gallery(without secondary foes) and some good guys you'll be expending 6000$ aprox. That's if you get it from the states. For european buyers like myself a bit more with taxes and all. I spent maybe 700$ in all my collection with new batman adventures and btas lines, buying the majority of them for 13-20$.

Not just that, all their Batman figures (original, black variant and redux) are complete garbage.

The way Mondo painted the highlights on these figures with that like, tamp film is horrendous. It’ll eventually all fall off, just like it has on Batman’s cape.

Back