DC Collectibles shutting down

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It?s not debatable. No one is buying ST figures and DC still sells aside from some of the movies.

We're discussing those movies. If the ST was a misfire, you can't pretend that's not also true of BVS and Suicide Squad, which also damaged their brand in a similar fashion.

That's why I said an uptick in DC movie figures is tied to how successful the actual films are (mostly).

It was bad news when AT&T got involved. Sad to see all those that lost thier jobs during a pandemic.

DC Fandome in 2 weeks to distract everyone with movie and game trailers.

Batman, Batman, Batman, Batman and Superman?

Are you sure they only release those?

I wouldn't mind more Batman actually, it's for them to build up a name for themselves under the DC brand starting with tons of Batman. Gain more traction and then release other DC characters.

As for the McFarlane stuff, Unparalleled Universe did an SDCC interview with Tye Butler, who said a lot of the character selection has been from the license holder rather than McFarlane. He basically not so subtly insinuated the lack of non-Batman and Superman stuff is due to that, as the execs at WB/AT&T don't really know or care about anything that isn't Batman or Superman because those are the two DC heroes everyone knows.

It was bad news when AT&T got involved. Sad to see all those that lost their jobs during a pandemic.

DC Fandome in 2 weeks to distract everyone with movie and game trailers.

good news from some aspects and bad in others.

Good news for movies as they got rid of the suits making bad "executive" decisions and completing changing director visions (both JL and Suicide Squad were nearly completely changed in tone, director vision and story).

Apparently bad for toys/collectibles. Makes sense now as to why we haven't seen any DCD products for WW84 at all, but all other collectibles companies have had stuff ready.

However, lots of ppl are struggling during the pandemic as well as losing their jobs. It sucks but that's what's happening right now across the board. It's not like DC Fandome's purpose is to "mask" DCD getting the axe. Did you watch online Comic Con? That thing sucked. It's no wonder NO ONE wanted to be part of that and why DC decided to do their own thing and not be part of it.

Good. Karma for cancelling the DC films line after 2 figures.
Imagine being this much of a manchild.
So because they didn't make some toys you specifically wanted all these people deserve to lose their jobs and for their families to suffer? Holy ****.
I always wonder if the stigma towards toy collecting is still relevant, its comments like this and others in this thread where you of course whine about how Star Wars was "ruined" that give merit to those stigmas, which is very unfortunate.

I hope one day you will realize your shameful behaviour.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Imagine being this much of a manchild.
So because they didn't make some toys you specifically wanted all these people deserve to lose their jobs and for their families to suffer? Holy ****.
I always wonder if the stigma towards toy collecting is still relevant, its comments like this and others in this thread where you of course whine about how Star Wars was "ruined" that give merit to those stigmas, which is very unfortunate.

I hope one day you will realize your shameful behaviour.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

If you can't stand the heat, the world needs plenty of bartenders.

Super sad.

When I first got into collecting back in the day a lot of the stuff I was after was DC Direct. I remember getting the entire Superman line with Cyborg, Doomsday etc. When I got into 1/6 I was collecting their 13 inch line. Loved that Catwoman and Batgirl. Oh and the Hush line too.

Lots of great stuff over the years. I have nothing but respect for DC Direct, sure they had missteps over the years but overall they were a staple in the community.

Good luck to those who lost their jobs. Hope you find something soon and thanks for all the great collectibles.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

In all the time since BvS came out, not a single company has done a proper Batfleck.

DCD's prototype looked like it would be the one.

View attachment 492859

Then they canceled it for no reason.

I was really looking forward to that figure, and the Knightmare version. I even picked up the Armored figure which is probably my favorite figure of that suit in this scale. I’m really curious what the final Batfleck figure would’ve looked like, since most of the prototypes they showed didn’t have articulation added yet. MoS Zod and Faora being cancelled hurts a lot too.

DC_Films_AF_03_Zod_56bce5a65c6890.31472532__57987.1455814572.jpg

MAR160326.jpg

I think they said they cancelled the line because there were already premium 6” figures being released from other companies, but other companies weren’t covering the characters they would’ve - so in the end, fans lost. Although I understand Lex Jr. and the entire Suicide Squad would’ve been hard sells for $40 a piece, but that wasn’t the reason they gave for cancelling the line.

Again, their Batfleck looked like it would be the best. I hate the scrawny yellow MAFEX version. The SHF JL figure is probably my favorite, and even he’s a little too stylized in the face and would’ve greatly benefited from a second head with an angry expression or something. Mezco’s is good but vastly overpriced, his body looks too wide, and he has the bat brand on the wrong hand.

Last edited:
DC Direct dominated my action figure purchasing from early 2000 to around 2012. I have 100s of extremely unique and wonderful version of characters no other company would make in such exquisite detail.

Some of my all-time favorite DC Direct figures would be Cyborg Superman, Swamp Thing, Uncle Sam, Silver Age Batman, and the list can go on and on.

They also produced the gorgeous Women of the DC Universe statue line by Adam Hughes along with the extensive collection of Batman: Black and White.

I'll definitely miss this wonderful company.

Does anyone know if the McFarlane Batman B&W statue is still planning to be released?

I was a big into DC Direct from about '99 to 2012 (and then some DC Collectibles after that). My first purchase was the Hawkman/Hawkgirl box set - I stared at that thing on the shelf for a long while thinking, "I really should buy that...". Sad to see this happen to a group of such talented people. Hopefully, they will easily find spots within other companies out there. Would definitely be a benefit to those companies.

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/jim-l...yjw3p56hPnmPxmaG4Otn-OroR7QGn8Qywoik4yQGk78rU

Earlier this week came a huge swing of the ax at WarnerMedia, and with it were major layoffs at DC Entertainment. Among the changes were the removal of editor-in-chief Bob Harras, editors Mark Doyle, Brian Cunningham, and Andy Khouri, VP of marketing Jonah Weiland, senior VP Hank Kanalz, and VP of global publishing initiatives and digital strategy Bobbie Chase. Another major loss was the entirety of the DC Direct collectibles office with everyone reportedly laid off. So what does this mean for the future of that integral arm of DC? Jim Lee has the answer.

"When we started, we were one of the first companies, if not the first, to go out and create a business that catered to that specialty market," Lee told The Hollywood Reporter in a new interview. "That success has brought in a lot of competitors and a lot of companies that are now in that space. So it’s about evolving the model. We want to produce those collectible and serve those fans, but we will probably shift to a higher price point collectible and more of a licensing model, working with manufacturers we already work with."

[continue]

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/jim-l...yjw3p56hPnmPxmaG4Otn-OroR7QGn8Qywoik4yQGk78rU

Earlier this week came a huge swing of the ax at WarnerMedia, and with it were major layoffs at DC Entertainment. Among the changes were the removal of editor-in-chief Bob Harras, editors Mark Doyle, Brian Cunningham, and Andy Khouri, VP of marketing Jonah Weiland, senior VP Hank Kanalz, and VP of global publishing initiatives and digital strategy Bobbie Chase. Another major loss was the entirety of the DC Direct collectibles office with everyone reportedly laid off. So what does this mean for the future of that integral arm of DC? Jim Lee has the answer.

"When we started, we were one of the first companies, if not the first, to go out and create a business that catered to that specialty market," Lee told The Hollywood Reporter in a new interview. "That success has brought in a lot of competitors and a lot of companies that are now in that space. So it’s about evolving the model. We want to produce those collectible and serve those fans, but we will probably shift to a higher price point collectible and more of a licensing model, working with manufacturers we already work with."

[continue]

With that answer it sounds like they might be partnering more directly with companies that are already producing DC products rather than making their own. Maybe similar how Sideshow now partners with TBLeague for female 1/6 figures.

Very sad news.
Personally I’ve just bought Batman/joker expression packs, standard Harley Quinn, the Batmobile and the batwing ( I sold quickly because quite impossible to display).
It was absolutely awesome figures. I bought it just for nostalgia because it was for me the direct evolution of the original Kenner line which was my favorite toys as kid.

Crazy to me that AT&T got broken up in the 80s because they got 'too big'. Now they're bigger than they ever were back then, but because they don't own all the telephone companies .... somehow that's okay.

Back