Dark Toys 1/6 Rick Deckard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, customs aren't banned. That was something that was done to appease Sideshow, but they went ahead and pulled funding anyways.

Second, the issue is that in order to sell items based on someone else's likeness, you need to have their permission, Buffy didn't do that. Ergo, laws were broken.

You look at it from Buffy's perspective of all the work put into the sculpt. But what about all the work that Ford, Scott, and the film crew put into Blade Runner? Don't they deserve compensation for their work? Buffy is profiting from their work without compensating them.

I think that argument is a little unrealistic if you're then going forward and supporting an unlicensed figure. Within the confines of the unlicensed world there are good actors and bad actors, it's pretty simple. Nobody can acquire the Blade Runner rights. So starting from that point you can behave badly in creating a figure (copying someone's work) or create something from the ground up.

I think that argument is a little unrealistic if you're then going forward and supporting an unlicensed figure. Within the confines of the unlicensed world there are good actors and bad actors, it's pretty simple. Nobody can acquire the Blade Runner rights. So starting from that point you can behave badly in creating a figure (copying someone's work) or create something from the ground up.

If you want to split hairs, I'll split right one right back at you. It it's impossible for Buffy to obtain the BR license, it's equally impossible for me to obtain the Buffy headsculpt, as it was only made available to a select few, so if Buffy can't do it the right way, I shouldn't have to either.

I'd love to support the artists, but if they're making it impossible for me to support them ... it's just like making the BR rights impossible to acquire. Someone will swoop in to fill that void.

If you want to split hairs, I'll split right one right back at you. It it's impossible for Buffy to obtain the BR license, it's equally impossible for me to obtain the Buffy headsculpt, as it was only made available to a select few, so if Buffy can't do it the right way, I shouldn't have to either.

I'd love to support the artists, but if they're making it impossible for me to support them ... it's just like making the BR rights impossible to acquire. Someone will swoop in to fill that void.
It's not really splitting hairs though, it just sounds like you're equating every single custom creation out there with what Dark Toys has done, because neither have acquired the rights for said projects. I'm not seeing the equivalence.

Do you feel the same about how Jnix's Officer K sculpt was taken and recast for the Present Toys figure? That sculpt was offered to anyone who wanted it by Jnix.

Some Company Will do a Copy of enterbay Tony Montana Scarface ...so isnt Just a Custom problem at this point . This Is a collectibles future ?!

i'm sure many folks here wanna sleep with Nicki Minaj but i'm pretty sure unless she organizes constant orgies 99% of you folks will find it impossible to, so should you do it the illegal way? In the future Black Market DNA will be sought after so we can create our own clones of the people we can't get to fulfill our pleasure, is that OK if someone does it to you?

So far as I can tell, Supermad is not taking other people's work outright, though I suspect they reworked the HT old Han for their old Deckard. I can't speak to their other figures, but It seems they're still putting in a fair amount of work for their prototypes and figures.

If anything it seems Present Toys might just now be taking Supermad's accessories for their K. I guess there's different tiers when it comes to these unlicensed figure companies.

Supermad is a design company not a factory. i think they subcontract out the production works to factories. i'm talking about Factories setting up brands so they can sell their recasts. the factories need to be running all the time to make the best out of their running cost instead of sitting idle until work comes in. They don't have the talent to design so they just replicate existing ones.

First, customs aren't banned. That was something that was done to appease Sideshow, but they went ahead and pulled funding anyways.

Second, the issue is that in order to sell items based on someone else's likeness, you need to have their permission, Buffy didn't do that. Ergo, laws were broken.

You look at it from Buffy's perspective of all the work put into the sculpt. But what about all the work that Ford, Scott, and the film crew put into Blade Runner? Don't they deserve compensation for their work? Buffy is profiting from their work without compensating them.

I think customs (different from kit bashes) should be banned here to avoid arguments like these and also reduce the liability of forum owner. If we want to talk custom we can always go to onesixth, or reddit. leave sideshowcollector clean with only official o kitbashes (using official parts of course).

i'm sure many folks here wanna sleep with Nicki Minaj but i'm pretty sure unless she organizes constant orgies 99% of you folks will find it impossible to, so should you do it the illegal way? In the future Black Market DNA will be sought after so we can create our own clones of the people we can't get to fulfill our pleasure, is that OK if someone does it to you?

8C198CC2-A0D1-4ABD-801C-1C1DFA1DA712.gif

It is an interesting debate from both sides. I personally don't like the view that if I want something and the only way to get it is to purchase something illegally then that's fine. That doesn't seem okay to me. However, I own some unlicensed prints of pictures by artists. I'm not profiting if I display them in my own home, but the artist sure isn't either. Can I afford to get licensed/official versions? Maybe, and I do have official signed pieces too, but it is an interesting debate

I also bought a knock off iron man life size bust from Thailand because I couldn't source the original, I don't have it displayed though and am looking for an official one

Yeah, definitely an interesting discussion.

At the moment I only have licensed MR props, but I have had some other hilts at times. And I own a few custom sculpts/figures. Not trying to sway anyone really, just trying to understand different thinking on the matter. I did confirm with Jnix that he didn't grant permission for use of his Officer K sculpt, he seemed pretty upset about it. Have to imagine Inigo is in the same boat with his Indy.

In some ways the nature of this hobby (meaning we've all seen it happen) so these custom artists have to know there is a risk of this occurring, and I would think factor that into how they go about selling their work, whether that be larger runs, repeat runs, higher priced sculpts, since they will ultimately have no legal recourse when it does occur.

Yeah, definitely an interesting discussion.

At the moment I only have licensed MR props, but I have had some other hilts at times. And I own a few custom sculpts/figures. Not trying to sway anyone really, just trying to understand different thinking on the matter. I did confirm with Jnix that he didn't grant permission for use of his Officer K sculpt, he seemed pretty upset about it. Have to imagine Inigo is in the same boat with his Indy.

In some ways the nature of this hobby (meaning we've all seen it happen) so these custom artists have to know there is a risk of this occurring, and I would think factor that into how they go about selling their work, whether that be larger runs, repeat runs, higher priced sculpts, since they will ultimately have no legal recourse when it does occur.

which company used the K Sculpt without permission? Supermad or black box?

which company used the K Sculpt without permission? Supermad or black box?

Probably Present Toys. There was a thread on the BBICN forum but it looks like it's disappeared.

Present Toys K 2.jpg

Present Toys K 1.jpg

It looks like they might've used SuperMad's clothing and accessories.

Yeah, what Asta said. Looks like Jnix sculpt and the rest is Supermad as far as I can tell. Nose looks a bit warped in that last shot -- his left nostril seems smaller and higher.

Yeah, what Asta said. Looks like Jnix sculpt and the rest is Supermad as far as I can tell. Nose looks a bit warped in that last shot -- his left nostril seems smaller and higher.

I never noticed the nose before.

I saw it a few weeks ago on BBICN, but can't find the thread now. Searches turn up blank so it looks like it got deleted. Thought it looked like a Supermad figure, but with a weird looking sculpt, so it doesn't surprise me it was Jnix's.

so would you buy a Star Ace Pulp fiction official figure, or some average looking 3rd party non-license figure. coz Star Ace's figure doesn't look average at all coz it's so bad.

The permutations are endless. As a collector I'd want the best representation available, but we already pointed out that behaviour like that falls outside of legality; to what degree is up to the courts to decide.

BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIIIVE!!

(I've had a lot of coffee today.)

Supermad is better to me in every way.

It?s one of my favorite figures.

It?s important to remember that licensing is a pretty new concept overall in this hobby. Most early 1/6 were not licensed and zero of the customs are.

So it?s kinda hard to get upset at one person breaking the law and not another.

Personally , I don?t think there is anything stopping the custom sculptors from doing bigger production runs except fear of legal action.

China has never been and probably will never be , punished or sanctioned by any US copyrights in this area. The government simpler does not care about intellectual property rights. Unless of course it?s THEIR property.

The US will be on the other side of the coin soon with opportunities to copy Chinese IP.

The question is, where would we make it and we still wouldn?t be able to match the labor costs.

Well maybe soon, the US is crumbling under consistent and devious labor practices killing any upward growth for the middle and lower classes.

Supermad is better to me in every way.

It?s one of my favorite figures.

It?s important to remember that licensing is a pretty new concept overall in this hobby. Most early 1/6 were not licensed and zero of the customs are.

So it?s kinda hard to get upset at one person breaking the law and not another.

Personally , I don?t think there is anything stopping the custom sculptors from doing bigger production runs except fear of legal action.

China has never been and probably will never be , punished or sanctioned by any US copyrights in this area. The government simpler does not care about intellectual property rights. Unless of course it?s THEIR property.

The US will be on the other side of the coin soon with opportunities to copy Chinese IP.

The question is, where would we make it and we still wouldn?t be able to match the labor costs.

Well maybe soon, the US is crumbling under consistent and devious labor practices killing any upward growth for the middle and lower classes.

you know the funny thing is unlicensed customs are very common in Japan, IP holders know these custom makers cannot afford the license, so they set up some wonderfest or something and grant them a 1 day license to sell their products officially. Usually it's Garage kits but there are other things as well.

you know the funny thing is unlicensed customs are very common in Japan, IP holders know these custom makers cannot afford the license, so they set up some wonderfest or something and grant them a 1 day license to sell their products officially. Usually it's Garage kits but there are other things as well.

Wow I never knew that! That?s fantastic.

Never would happen here in America , the giant corporate entities would scream about how those single days were bankrupting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back