Customizing vs. retaining value

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BACON!

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I don't collect to re-sell; I have not done it since I started collecting 1/6. I do, however, like to make each figure my own and/or follow the lead of some of the excellent customizers on here by repainting/weathering/adding detail. I have not touched my Pennywise yet, but it occurred to me that eventually this figure is going to commend large sums in the after market. My question is that if his clothes are weathered more than he come out of the box, along with a removal of the fat suit, slight repainting of the face, bolstering of the neck lace, etc. Would that make it more desirable or less desirable than a minty fresh one?

But also, in general, if there is a distinction in the ales description when something has been customized, would that influence it to increase or lose value over time?

I think it’s entirely up to the buyer. I feel like most buyers want something as close to the original product as possible, flaws and all.

I personally customize items I don’t plan on selling but I’m sure there’s people out there that will buy it customized if it’s done properly.

IMO, customs with sales as an endgame is an uphill battle.

I've had several buyer's sketch out of sales regarding customized stuff. Owners may be tailoring their collections to match their personal tastes, whereas buyers are usually looking for that moment frozen it time (e.g. MISB).

I've had it go both ways as a seller. I've lost money due to a customization, and made money on others -- usually more elaborate kitbashes but sometimes just minor mods.

I haven't bought much 1/6th in a while, but when I was really into it and into customizing, I always had in mind that this was for my entertainment, from the unboxing to the tinkering and mods, so whether or not it held value was irrelevant to me at the time.

My last big round of collecting, I decided I wanted to keep figures stock as snapshots in time; and fast forward to now -- figure prices have gone up considerably, spare parts are sometimes few and far between (depends on the figure) and seem to have also gone up in price ... and aftermarket prices are goofy.

So in the current climate, I'd likely think twice.

I've had it go both ways as a seller. I've lost money due to a customization, and made money on others -- usually more elaborate kitbashes but sometimes just minor mods.

I haven't bought much 1/6th in a while, but when I was really into it and into customizing, I always had in mind that this was for my entertainment, from the unboxing to the tinkering and mods, so whether or not it held value was irrelevant to me at the time.
This pretty much sums it up for me. I sometimes sell a figure when I've grown tiered of it after a couple of years, or if I upgrade a figure and there's nothing to salvage from the old version, and my modifications have sometimes added to the value, and sometimes hurt it.

But in the end, I collect and customize for my own enjoyment, so any potential effect my mods have on the value are inconsequential. When I buy something for my collection, I consider that money spent (as opposed to invested). So whenever I do actually sell something, anything I get for it is good, because there was no expectation one way or another as to what it would be worth.

But also, in general, if there is a distinction in the ales description when something has been customized, would that influence it to increase or lose value over time?
As a painter and modder myself who has sold customs on eBay I'd say yes and no. A well produced mod, like weathering, blood etc can indeed increase the value of the figure with the caveat that it has to be well done, otherwise you end up devaluing a figure over a stock one. It also helps if the mod intends to be screen accurate rather than an artistic interpretation.

Non-invasive mods (those are reversible) also tend to increase the value (such as a custom cape on a Batman figure, custom boots/gloves etc).

As a customizer (modding, retailoring, painting, sculpting etc.) it definitely goes both ways. However, I will say, the best thing you can do is have side-by-side before and after comparison pics to show how you feel your mods have made the figure greater and long with good description. I have seen some "customs" on eBay (especially when it comes to weathering), where it looks like someone just threw their figure in some muddy water and, to me, doesn't warrant the seller's asking price b/c it looks like the figure was downgraded by the mods instead of upgraded. Or when a "sweat" effect is really just the figure doused in gloss finish. Usually, if you can show that the figure was truly upgraded/enhanced to command a higher price rather than something that was done just b/c of your own personal taste, that's how you can get a sale from my experience.

It may add value to customise but I think your market becomes much smaller. You will have to find that person that values the changes you have made. Are those buyers out there? Most likely, but many potential buyers will keep looking without investigating further.

First and foremost I want the figure to be as close to the source as possible. But even if one or two things are not quite there, I don't mod them. I don't have the skills to do so in this scale, it'd cose a lot to have someone else do it, and frankly, I don't want the figure to lose its value. On the other hand, I do buy all these things for my collection, and don't really have any intention of selling anything. Regardless, I've never been one to look into mods; I just leave them as is.

However, the castings of Kang and Namor in the MCU, two characters I love but am not happy with the actors, are pushing me down that road. Kang's easy, I'll just get an HT HS of an actor I'd have liked to see play the role and doesn't have an MCU role, swap it with the main guy's, and that's it. Nothing's painted, nothing's ruined. I'm hinking Bale, considering he's playing an alien under heavy makeup in the MCU. Otherwise, if they make figures from the new HP movie I'll grab a spare Jude Law head. It's not like they'll ever do anything with his ****** role in the MCU. Namor's trickier. I'm waiting to see the costume. I have a plan to kitbash his Ultimate look, but it's tricky and I'm giving the official look a chance before I start the process.

At the end of the day I stick with the official versions, but I may bend the rules a bit if the figure isn't ruined. I buy these things for my collection, but I don't want to damage them either. I like the feeling of knowing my displays are worth something.

I generally don't think twice about modding figures to my liking, but I also don't spend that much on things to begin with. I've been too precious in the past. I bought the thing to please me ultimately, the money is gone, so I'll enjoy the thing and tamper as much as it extends that enjoyment. When it comes to selling, I only really think in terms of what something cost me, if I make some of it back I'm good. If something holds value and goes for a decent price then that's a bonus. I don't really like the whole secondary market where things gets crazy so I do my best to detatch from it.

I think in theory, it’s similar to a car.

Most people want a used car that’s stock. A car that’s been modified is usually worth less the more mods it has, unless it’s a speciality car.

But you may happen upon the rare buyer that wanted to do the exact same mods anyway, so they are happy to buy it. Usually those are just light, tasteful mods. But that’s still not going to make it more valuable; just not worth a whole lot less.

I don’t like to mod (both cars and figures). I do sometimes modify figures and make customs, but I don’t do it to the figure itself. I prefer to buy additional duplicate parts so that the figure can be returned to stock if needed. Or an entire second figure to mod/customize to keep one as is.

As a rule of thumb I would say anything that’s a more permanent change to the figure (eg. paint, weathering, cutting up pieces, etc.) will drop the value versus reversible mods done well (eg. under suit removal, changing the pegs, switching out parts, so on).

Only the figures that I will never sell...and that I have always wanted will I mod the heck out of. Dark Toys Deckard case in point. I have always wanted a Blade Runner Deckard. I will mod this until to the point of no return until I get the best I can achieve without breaking the bank going the custom route.

I visited a dealer shop years ago ( the ability for a hobbyist to open and maintain a storefront and survive is not easy, I honestly don't know how many of them do it) and he said for every one of those boxed sets that was super rare and desired and spiked massively in price, he had 50-80 sets of things he just couldn't sell and he'd be honestly glad to dump on 40 cents on the dollar if he could get away with it.

He also mentioned that while some collectors thought it was cool to work in the hobby and "play with toys all day", that they didn't see the times where he'd have to sit there on a Saturday night alone breaking down figures, putting them into sealed baggies and then taking photos and uploading them and updating the site, etc, etc.

I see individual collectors the same way. For the one thing you have that appreciated in secondary market value, there are probably 10-12 things you've likely lost money on from the time you spent it.

I would see it as money gone to be honest. Also when you resell in today's environment, what is Paypal taking off the top? Or Ebay? Or what might you lose on shipping costs? Or your time?

But in general though, once it's out of box, it's going to be worth less unless it's a rare set where the parts breakdown is just chock full of valuable and interesting parts. HT Thor is going to get your less mileage out of box than those older HT RPD Leons. I wouldn't think of it as customized versus not as much as MIMB and loose parts.

Otherwise just assume the money is gone. Spent and gone.

Also when you resell in today's environment, what is Paypal taking off the top?p

3%, though eBay doesn’t use PayPal for sellers anymore.

13-15%.

Or what might you lose on shipping costs?

F4C259C6-79E1-4C0E-AC21-738C9021C80A.gif

If it is something you are concerned about, why not buy two? I’m just getting started trying my hand at modifications and the like, but I would never have the courage if I did not have a fresh spare waiting in case I screw something up.

If it is something you are concerned about, why not buy two? I’m just getting started trying my hand at modifications and the like, but I would never have the courage if I did not have a fresh spare waiting in case I screw something up.

I did that a while in the past long ago.

I found a dealer who gave a small discount for preorders, and free shipping if you spent enough in one order ( Back then one boxed HT set wouldn't be enough, but two were enough) and the location of that state at the time also was no sales tax.

Then I tried experimenting selling the loose parts from an entire set plus the loose parts from the core set I wanted, to see what I could recoup.

Obviously you are getting nothing back on a parted out HT Berserker Predator, but a HT Commando is a far far easier set to break down and move the parts.

Right now the most cost effective way I see to collect is to get into 3D Parts and get a 3D printer and start punching out some cool 1/12 scale stuff and using it for trade or sale to generate some "hobby cash" While I'm not a 1/12th kind of collector, I recognize that's where trends are going. And it can't be denied, it's just much cheaper for people to collect, so they are going to stay in it for longer. 1/6th has hit a saturation point. Without the Marvel movies, with that fortunate timing, I don't know if HT would have thrived for this long. But the Marvel run is cycling down. I'd have interest in the new Blade maybe but I'm just not a Marvel guy personally.

Part of the equation becomes, as a part of the hobby experience, can you create some occasional positive hobby cash flow without making it into a 2nd job or an actual business.

I agree that 1/6 has reached a saturation point, but I think that may be because its almost always the same old licenses that get resurrected. Look at what Queen Studios is doing- only safe bets.

Most of my customization is in the form of weathering or body swapping, and I don't plan on selling anything I own anyway, at any point.

"Customizing" purely to sell as a business is one thing.

Just customizing and then contemplating the resale possibility and value resulting from customizing where it altered the original figure, etc., but not as a business is totally something else. However, if that occurs more than once . . . then it's more or less a business (i.e., thinking about profit than the original state of the figure being altered/customized).

Some collectors customize for enjoyment, experience, and keep what they customize. Some don't sell it for whatever to others who'll pay them with some being very price conscientious (i.e., make sure they don't lose $ in terms of original cost, materials, etc./profit).

3%, though eBay doesn’t use PayPal for sellers anymore.

I took a look because I was off Ebay for a long time.
I guess you can use credit cards now and Ebay basically demands access to the sellers actual bank account directly. Do you find that's easier for you? Safe? Just curious. I think I've bought like 3 tiny things off Ebay in the last 5 years or so using old PayPal balance I had left over.

I took a look because I was off Ebay for a long time.
I guess you can use credit cards now and Ebay basically demands access to the sellers actual bank account directly. Do you find that's easier for you? Safe? Just curious. I think I've bought like 3 tiny things off Ebay in the last 5 years or so using old PayPal balance I had left over.

It had no real effect on buyers. If you're buying, you can still use PayPal just the same and they've expanded payment options to include Apple Pay and Google Pay.

eBay used to own PayPal but spun it off as an independent company a couple of years ago. They've phased out PayPal integration for seller payout over the course of the last few years.

PayPal was definitely a lot easier as you had access to the funds immediately. It takes longer for eBay to process the funds and deposit them to you. They also take the fees upfront instead of sending you an invoice for them at the end of the month.

I think it's safe. But it's clearly changes made to benefit them and not users so it feels a bit weird in that regard since they try to spin it as a positive for everyone.

Back