Custom Star Trek TNG Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I get a package in the mail today ... kind of small, can't figure out what it is...don't think I've got any ebay stuff on the way, but you know, sometimes you forget that you bid on something, at least if you are me ... open it up ... it's Spot! For Data -- mine broke about five minutes after I opened up the figure last year. So thanks to Ironman, for doing a fellow collector a very cool favor!

So I get a package in the mail today ... kind of small, can't figure out what it is...don't think I've got any ebay stuff on the way, but you know, sometimes you forget that you bid on something, at least if you are me ... open it up ... it's Spot! For Data -- mine broke about five minutes after I opened up the figure last year. So thanks to Ironman, for doing a fellow collector a very cool favor!

I-man is the best!

Haven't had much time for customs lately, but I did finally manage to finish piecing this guy together a couple weeks ago - Locutus of Borg made from the Geometrics kit. Body is a Sideshow Pro, bodysuit is from the Sandtrooper Sergeant. Head is Playmates. Bit of a challenge to get all the parts attached, especially the ones that have to attach directly to the bodysuit. The Borg head piece was too small for the Playmates Picard head, so I had to divide it up and create some extensions to get it to fit.

locutus9.JPG
locutus7.JPG
locutus8.JPG

locutus11.JPG

Locutus turned out great! I've had this same project sitting on my desk now for months. I had actually talked myself out of trying to make it into a figure several times and just put it together as a model, but yours turned out so good, it has definitely inspired me to give it a try as a figure!

well done!

One day soon I really hope to see a high quality 12" Star Trek line either from a company or custom. I think one way or the other it's getting closer and closer.

I don't see any one [custom or company] doing more than Nanjin for 1:6 Trek.
I have a number of different genre projects working, one of them also a Locutus. I don't like the size difference of Playmates 12" line. I am reconfiguring mine to use a DML TNG Picard head. Lore is also on the table as well as some original Trek ideas.

WGP and Spencer are both making progress in getting the original Trek characters off the ground. My point is more that TrueType bodies (among others) and digital sculpting is closing the gap on affordable production of low-run/niche characters. The only other major hurdle is 1:6-scale costume fabrication, but there will be some kind of solution beyond handmade for that as well. Also I think Sideshow still holds the Trek license (not sure if it includes 1:6). But I'm sure they are watching Hot Toys and Enterbay pulling down $175-$225/figure and want a bigger chunk of the market beyond simply distribution. They've already announced they will be doing 1:6 DC characters. So really wouldn't be surprised to see them dust off some of these licenses and start testing the waters for high end figures (i.e. in the $200 range as opposed to the as opposed the $75 range).

I've been doing some work on Worf.

worf4.jpg

worf3.jpg

worf5.jpg

HT body, resculpted Playmates head, DML gear. I just got the Geometric Worf kit so I'm going to cut out the more accurate sash to use with him.

WGP and Spencer are both making progress in getting the original Trek characters off the ground. My point is more that TrueType bodies (among others) and digital sculpting is closing the gap on affordable production of low-run/niche characters. The only other major hurdle is 1:6-scale costume fabrication, but there will be some kind of solution beyond handmade for that as well. Also I think Sideshow still holds the Trek license (not sure if it includes 1:6). But I'm sure they are watching Hot Toys and Enterbay pulling down $175-$225/figure and want a bigger chunk of the market beyond simply distribution. They've already announced they will be doing 1:6 DC characters. So really wouldn't be surprised to see them dust off some of these licenses and start testing the waters for high end figures (i.e. in the $200 range as opposed to the as opposed the $75 range).

Sideshow has the Trek license?

Sideshow did release PFs of Spock & Kirk.

kirk_figure_sideshow.jpg

pfspockside.jpg

I always wanted the 1/6 Picard that Gentle Giant showed off years back, anybody know what happened there?

IMG_6320.jpg

PF license is seperate from the 1:6 I believe.
And Gentle Giant's dropped to the wayside. Dragon then seemed to take over.

I love seeing all the Next Gen stuff here. The recent Worf looks great. That "Locutus of Borg" from one of my favorite episodes is really impressive.

I look forward to seeing everyone's custom creations.

I've been reading this thread with a lot of joy. i just got data from dragon for cheap. the only thing i'd want to change is the body and the jumpsuit. does anyone make a tighter fitting suit?

I don't know that I would change the body but thats a matter of personal preference I guess.
As for better uniforms?
Contact ffolkes75, he made some blue TNG unis for me and they are better quality than waht DML did and they fit properly!!
The prototype pix are in post 35.

Back