Buying from abroad

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omegaglory1

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm thinking of buying a figure from an eBay seller from abroad. The country of origin is in Southeast Asia and I live in the UK. His stated shipping time is 15-30 days by airmail. Although I know shipping time varies and tends to be be a lot faster in practice, I'm concerned about a valuable collectible moving from a hot climate into a cold plane cargo hold and sitting there for days at a time.

The figure is a Hot Toys with a rubber type suit and I know that material can be sensitive. Any thoughts? Are there any special packing methods the seller could use to protect from moisture or minimise temperature extremes?

I wouldn't worry too much about a figure being in a sub-optimal environment during transit. Unlikely a figure would be damaged or deteriorate in that kind of timeframe. And even if it is, you should have buyer protection since the item would arrive in a not described condition.

A figure is not going to deteriorate within a month from indirect exposure to varying temperatures. If it's a newer release, it will be fine. The figures go through the same or worse on their way to retailers when they're first released.

But if it's a much older figure, I would be concerned of its state coming out of Southeast Asia, even if new in box. A lot of materials don't do well in that humidity; past releases with a lot of rubber and pleather especially.

A figure is not going to deteriorate within a month from indirect exposure to varying temperatures. If it's a newer release, it will be fine. The figures go through the same or worse on their way to retailers when they're first released.

But if it's a much older figure, I would be concerned of its state coming out of Southeast Asia, even if new in box. A lot of materials don't do well in that humidity; past releases with a lot of rubber and pleather especially.
Guess I’m Just being paranoid 😅 The figure is actually the DX09 Batman body, the one I currently own is breaking down due to poor ventilation and being stored away for too long. This is a rare chance to get a new body 😄

Guess I’m Just being paranoid 😅 The figure is actually the DX09 Batman body, the one I currently own is breaking down due to poor ventilation and being stored away for too long. This is a rare chance to get a new body 😄
Rubber needs to be maintained with a rubber specific maintenance product. That is key to longevity, along with keeping it away from direct head and UV.

303 Aerospace Protectant is commonly used for protection and maintenance and a good option.

If the DX09 in question is new in box and from Southeast Asia, it may or may not be in good shape from being stored in a humid, tropical environment.

But if you’ve seen it and it’s in good shape, it will be fine during the trip.

It’s unfortunate Hot Toys was not using the best materials back then, especially rubber quality. They’ve overall improved since, though there’s still some shortcomings.

Hopefully they’ll revisit the Keaton suits again with better quality materials.

Rubber needs to be maintained with a rubber specific maintenance product. That is key to longevity, along with keeping it away from direct head and UV.

303 Aerospace Protectant is commonly used for protection and maintenance and a good option.

If the DX09 in question is new in box and from Southeast Asia, it may or may not be in good shape from being stored in a humid, tropical environment.

It’s unfortunate Hot Toys was not using the best materials back then, especially rubber quality. They’ve overall improved since, though there’s still some shortcomings.

I asked the seller and he said his storage spaces are air conditioned, although it’s prudent for him to say that to a potential buyer 😄

It depends on how it was stored more than anything, is more risky coming from where it does, I wouldn't risk it personally

actually really depends, if they are being sent on a ship, and somehow the container was sitting on the top, it will be exposed to strong sun and temperature will build up inside the container, even for few days it could be damaging rubber materials.

does 303 Aerospace affect the rubber finishing, like make it glossier? are there cheaper alternatives to 303 aerospace?

does 303 Aerospace affect the rubber finishing, like make it glossier? are there cheaper alternatives to 303 aerospace?
Being water based, it won’t be super glossy and greasy like a solvent based dressing, which is good. It will not affect the finish per se, but it will darken it slightly as the material absorbs the protectant.

303 Aerospace is very good value for money. I would say it’s very inexpensive for what it is at $13 for the the standard bottle. The 303 automotive interior protectant is the same product and comes in a slightly larger bottle, and may be a little cheaper depending on where you get it.

You don’t need a lot for figures and the shelf life of the bottle will be about 2-3 years.

It also comes in a very small bottle and wipes, both of which cost a bit less than the spray bottle.

Another cheaper brand may not work as well if it has infedior ingredients in it that, or may be solvent based which will not be good for figures.

It seems like a small cost to pay to protect the figures versus what the figures themselves cost.

Being water based, it won’t be super glossy and greasy like a solvent based dressing, which is good. It will not affect the finish per se, but it will darken it slightly as the material absorbs the protectant.

303 Aerospace is very good value for money. I would say it’s very inexpensive for what it is at $13 for the the standard bottle. The 303 automotive interior protectant is the same product and comes in a slightly larger bottle, and may be a little cheaper depending on where you get it.

You don’t need a lot for figures and the shelf life of the bottle will be about 2-3 years.

It also comes in a very small bottle and wipes, both of which cost a bit less than the spray bottle.

Another cheaper brand may not work as well if it has infedior ingredients in it that, or may be solvent based which will not be good for figures.

It seems like a small cost to pay to protect the figures versus what the figures themselves cost.
i placed an order for Hyper Dressing, it can be diluted for different finish. hope it works. i could also use it on the rubber parts around the house and cars. not sure about the shelf life, but 2-3 years doesn't sound too long unless you wash the car often or have a car wash business..

i placed an order for Hyper Dressing, it can be diluted for different finish. hope it works. i could also use it on the rubber parts around the house and cars. not sure about the shelf life, but 2-3 years doesn't sound too long unless you wash the car often or have a car wash business..
I’m not sure why (presumably Meguiar’s) Hyper Dressing was chosen over 303. 303 is inexpensive, has been vetted by other collectors (there are YouTube videos of people using it on their figures), and could also be used for household and automotive purposes.

I have professional auto detailing training and have experience with Hyper Dressing. I’m not a fan and would not use it for detailing myself as I think there are better products out there.

It works fine for car exterior parts, but I would personally not use it for my car’s interior (I could not anyway, as it’s not good for leather), which means I wouldn’t want to use it on 1/6 figure materials.

303 is safer on a wider variety of materials than Hyper Dressing. I would classify Hyper Dressing as a tire and exterior trim dressing first, with the possibility of using it on some interior materials. Whereas 303 can go on pretty much anything on the interior of a car.

If you must use Hyper Dressing for whatever reason, I would dilute it beyond the recommended to make it weaker than for automotive use, use sparingly, and test it first on a lower value figure first.

Last edited:
I’m not sure why (presumably Meguiar’s) Hyper Dressing was chosen over 303. 303 is inexpensive, has been vetted by other collectors (there are YouTube videos of people using it on their figures), and could also be used for household and automotive purposes.

I have professional auto detailing training and have experience with Hyper Dressing. I’m not a fan and would not use it for detailing myself as I think there are better products out there.

It works fine for car exterior parts, but I would personally not use it for my car’s interior (I could not anyway, as it’s not good for leather), which means I wouldn’t want to use it on 1/6 figure materials.

303 is safer on a wider variety of materials than Hyper Dressing. I would classify Hyper Dressing as a tire and exterior trim dressing first, with the possibility of using it on some interior materials. Whereas 303 can go on pretty much anything on the interior of a car.

If you must use Hyper Dressing for whatever reason, I would dilute it beyond the recommended to make it weaker than for automotive use, use sparingly, and test it first on a lower value figure first.
i don't know, i just read around for 303 alternatives only came up with 2 recommendations and Hyper Dressing is 1 of them. it's water based like 303 so i assume it does less harm than petroleum based. What is the main issue you have with Hyper Dressing that you didn't like it?

i don't know, i just read around for 303 alternatives only came up with 2 recommendations and Hyper Dressing is 1 of them. it's water based like 303 so i assume it does less harm than petroleum based. What is the main issue you have with Hyper Dressing that you didn't like it?
I gave my reasons in my previous post. Regardless of what their descriptions say, from experience I feel 303 is best as an interior and trim dressing and Hyper Shine is best as a tire dressing.

Water based is a broad category (dressings are generally either water or solvent based). There are a lot of different chemicals in various dressings based on manufacturer, brand, cost, and intended primary use.

303 is more versatile and is safer for a wider type of surfaces. It can be used on vinyl, synthetic rubber, natural rubber, plastic, finished leather, gel-coat, fiberglass, and carbon fiber.

Meguiar’s Hyper Dressing is safe only on non-painted rubber, plastic, and vinyl.

I generally feel more comfortable using a good quality automotive interior oriented dressing for a figure because the materials are similar.

There are more premium products than 303 (I use Ultima Interior Guard Plus for my current vehicle as I have red full leather), but I would consider the materials in 303 to be of good quality.

Last edited:
So I took the risk and ordered the body. Visually it looks fine but I’m not sure if I should be concerned.

The suit doesn’t feel sticky or wet when handled casually. but with prolonged handling I can feel a very, very mild damp feeling on my fingers. It’s almost like a very light oil on my fingertips that washes off easily with normal hand washing. I’ve done the smell test and there is a very faint chemical whiff.

Quick update. There was a lot of back and forth messaging between the seller and I, who was reluctant to take responsibility for the problems I had described. Some of the communication was very unhelpful and I was able to secure a return request. The seller asked for a PayPal address so that he could reimburse me for return shipping but never replied to acknowledge if my message had been received. Days went by and now I’ve been fully reimbursed and get to keep the item. Not sure what I’ll do with the body though 🤔

5nmp4y.jpg

Hi all, I'm thinking of buying a figure from an eBay seller from abroad. The country of origin is in Southeast Asia and I live in the UK. His stated shipping time is 15-30 days by airmail. Although I know shipping time varies and tends to be be a lot faster in practice, I'm concerned about a valuable collectible moving from a hot climate into a cold plane cargo hold and sitting there for days at a time.

The figure is a Hot Toys with a rubber type suit and I know that material can be sensitive. Any thoughts? Are there any special packing methods the seller could use to protect from moisture or minimise temperature extremes?
How do you think figures get to you locally anyway? Star Trek transporter? They generally sit in a cargo container on a ship, with any temperature humidity variances that entails.

Back