Border patrol seizing collectibles! Help please

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwelveInchFigures

Super Freak
Reaction score
I made a purchase a few weeks ago from Mexico for a 1/6 scale BARC Speeder and some Clone Wars weapons. Everything went fine, merchant was great to work with. This is my first time ordering internationally with FedEx as the shipper... my order was shipped... and now it's been stuck at customs for nearly 2 weeks, which the merchant said was unusual. I made calls to Federal Express, and was told one thing and then another. It was a little confusing and frustrating because mostly people at FedEx just didn't seem to have any information.

The last thing I was told today was that the US Border Patrol has my package because of a "security issue" and "security infringement"... I was told nothing more, and FedEx said that was all the information provided them. FedEx also told me that the Border Patrol is not obliged to give any more information - they can keep the package as long as they want, release it, send it back or even destroy it. These were beautiful collectibles, the merchant sent me pictures of the completed painted items, and it just makes me ache to think that they could simply be destroyed without a second thought, not to mention the financial loss... it's also angering that people with that kind of power can basically tread all over whomever they wish to, with no consequences. If it was dangerous or illegal then yeah, I'd be in their corner.. but this....???

I talked with the merchant, and both he and myself are blown away by this, these are 1/6 plastic collectibles, nothing that would threaten national security! He's been making 1/6 scale collectibles and custom stuff for Star Wars figures for a couple of years now and they're apparently in the long process of becoming licensed by Disney; they've had around 80 shipments to the USA without incident. FedEx is just telling them that the package is "lost".

I'm wondering if anyone else has had any issues or experience with this sort of thing, and if there truly is nothing I can do? This is just so bizarre... and after trying to get a BARC Speeder and AT-RT through Kamino 3D Facility (who basically tried to screw me over), now this! I'm starting to feel cursed, and I'm pretty sure if this doesn't pan out I'm giving up since I don't need any more of these strange things happening to me.

Any feedback, thoughts, advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I made a purchase a few weeks ago from Mexico for a 1/6 scale BARC Speeder and some Clone Wars weapons. Everything went fine, merchant was great to work with. This is my first time ordering internationally with FedEx as the shipper... my order was shipped... and now it's been stuck at customs for nearly 2 weeks, which the merchant said was unusual. I made calls to Federal Express, and was told one thing and then another. It was a little confusing and frustrating because mostly people at FedEx just didn't seem to have any information.

The last thing I was told today was that the US Border Patrol has my package because of a "security issue" and "security infringement"... I was told nothing more, and FedEx said that was all the information provided them. FedEx also told me that the Border Patrol is not obliged to give any more information - they can keep the package as long as they want, release it, send it back or even destroy it. These were beautiful collectibles, the merchant sent me pictures of the completed painted items, and it just makes me ache to think that they could simply be destroyed without a second thought, not to mention the financial loss... it's also angering that people with that kind of power can basically tread all over whomever they wish to, with no consequences. If it was dangerous or illegal then yeah, I'd be in their corner.. but this....???

I talked with the merchant, and both he and myself are blown away by this, these are 1/6 plastic collectibles, nothing that would threaten national security! He's been making 1/6 scale collectibles and custom stuff for Star Wars figures for a couple of years now and they're apparently in the long process of becoming licensed by Disney; they've had around 80 shipments to the USA without incident. FedEx is just telling them that the package is "lost".

I'm wondering if anyone else has had any issues or experience with this sort of thing, and if there truly is nothing I can do? This is just so bizarre... and after trying to get a BARC Speeder and AT-RT through Kamino 3D Facility (who basically tried to screw me over), now this! I'm starting to feel cursed, and I'm pretty sure if this doesn't pan out I'm giving up since I don't need any more of these strange things happening to me.

This is incredibly surprising. But also not. Being someone that ships and receives at a national warehouse all year long I've noticed what a **** show that FED EX literally has become. FED EX IS ABOUT 80-90% CONTRACTED OUT NOW for deliveries. Those that are actual FED EX employees dont have their own trucks, and they are driving Penskes rentals as a result. The rest are delivering however they can. SORRY TO HEAR. I would let your merchant know to go with DHL or UPS from now on. I feel like the misrepresentation of the company could have a **** ton to do with whether packages are more scrutinized. Also it would make me wonder what was declared on the shipping manifest. Maybe any verbiage of weapon, gun etc kept it from moving? All in all I'm sorry for you brother. I can suggest more in the USA for you that i didnt already suggest before, but I know that that doesnt help with your current situation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If you are sure the Border Patrol has it, I wouldn't hesitate to contact the local office first, followed by regional, with your paper trail. At the same time I would contact your Congresspeople as my fam, in the past, has had good success, as congresspeople have aides that do follow up. Pain in the *&^% but do it all in writing. Drug runners or whatever don't go making inquiries. This is interfering with a legitimate purchase, and at minimum you deserve notification that the shipment was seized.

Unless the package was just stolen by the delivery person - plenty of complaints about Instacart deliveries being stolen by employees, I had a UPS order just vanish (tho that could have been a neighbor but doubt it). UPS insisted it was delivered. Still, that wouldn't stop you from talking to Border Patrol and at least find out more or if Fed EX is just lying.

It’s one thing if it’s a pile of Chinese bootlegs, but I’d think a case could be made that a one-of-a-kind custom made item is an art piece or something like that. I dunno if it would work but I feel like a distinction could be made.

It's so great to see taxpayer money used to pay police to use their limited resources to monitor and confiscate bootleg Pokemon toys instead of going after rapists, murderers, drug dealers, thieves, human traffickers and organized crime. Making sure Nintendo (or any other corporation) doesn't lose any merchandising profits should be the #1 priority of all law enforcement.

It?s one thing if it?s a pile of Chinese bootlegs, but I?d think a case could be made that a one-of-a-kind custom made item is an art piece or something like that. I dunno if it would work but I feel like a distinction could be made.

I don?t think the license holders would see a distinction between the two.

I'm not sure how relative it is to your situation but in the past month I scored a ROTS Figuarts Obi-Wan for $60..... lost... and the real kicker, a $300 shipment of books for summer college courses...lost.

Obi was Fedex that screwed up, books were coming to me from a destination 2 friggin hours away and was handled by both UPS and USPS!!!!!!! I guess my point is, I share your pain to some degree although I got my money back or replacement in both cases. The mail is going crazy right now. I guess people are still buying and shipping online even though things are opening back up.....

Do you not get any insurance paid out from Fedex for lost items? Sounds wrong to be confiscating items not labelled as (pretending to be) official Merchandise, that would mean all custom figures made by ourselves cannot be re-sold if they?re trying to look like a licensed character. Good luck policing that!
I?ve been the victim(idiot) of buying fake items pretending to be ?real? on eBay, unable to get my money back. I don?t buy certain items like retro computer games on eBay anymore. It would be nice if the police helped out with catching those crooks!

Do you not get any insurance paid out from Fedex for lost items? Sounds wrong to be confiscating items not labelled as (pretending to be) official Merchandise, that would mean all custom figures made by ourselves cannot be re-sold if they?re trying to look like a licensed character. Good luck policing that!
I?ve been the victim(idiot) of buying fake items pretending to be ?real? on eBay, unable to get my money back. I don?t buy certain items like retro computer games on eBay anymore. It would be nice if the police helped out with catching those crooks!

As has been implied, they (border patrol) don't give two s#its about everyday people. As long as the big companies can profit and not have any fake stuff hurting their bottom line, I'm sure they consider their work done.

Re Fedex insurance: I was told by Fedex in my case that I would have to have the seller refund me. I think, it works like this: Fedex will pay insurance on the item to the seller and then the seller can refund the buyer (if he is honest/trustworthy)...... but the seller is then screwed out of merchandise unless the item is found. If the seller is a ****** he gets the insurance from Fedex & keeps it but the buyer gets screwed.

Thank you for the responses.

The seller, Stadin Technologies in Mexico, has been VERY pro-active, professional and helpful from the beginning, and I have no doubt they would refunded me even if they didn't get their product back. Stadin has been a class-act, and in the long process of becoming licensed for selling Star Wars products, but as you probably know, getting licensed to sell Star Wars takes YEARS, it doesn't happen overnight. Also, I believe Stadin use industrial equipment and not the cheaper $6,000-$12,000 3D printers that hobbiests use.

The FedEx guy who told me the Border Patrol can hold packages and even destroy them was correct. But as I told him I didn't know what to expect since I hadn't gotten an international package from FedEx before and Stadin said it was taking longer than normal. I was quite polite and simply inquiring, but I think Fedex was messing with me since he never bothered to put it into any context, and the implication was that I was probably never going to see the package - he actually said "I don't know if you'll get your money back." Again, technically right, but with bedside manner like that I'm glad he's not a doctor.

I made some calls to the Customs authorities and different FedEx departments. Next day the package was released and is scheduled to be delivered today. Probably coincidence, but who knows.

I know someone who worked for FedEx, he told me "they play football with customer's packages". We've all seen delivery services caught on Youtube - I saw one just a few days ago of a guy who tripped over something someone had on their steps - he clearly didn't know he was being recorded because he proceeded to pulverize the customer's property he tripped over, AND the box he was delivering, kicking things around the person's yard and generally having a man-tantrum). Which brings me to my recommendation FedEx update their tag line: "Federal Express; we nasty with your stuff when you ain't lookin."

As for non-licensed stuff... the virus and terrorists have gotten into the country, but thank God we are protected from evil Pokemon knock-offs! Unfortunately, if Customs does get more aggressive, it won't be just the cheap Chinese knockoffs that could be affected, but places that make great stuff like Stadin and Jazz Inc. Dioramas or smaller customizers - Customs would likely have to work off of tips or suspicion to catch them, but I'm pretty sure if it's not licensed and they find out, it would be confiscated. And that's why you buy the Justice Mobile and not the Batmobile.

It's so great to see taxpayer money used to pay police to use their limited resources to monitor and confiscate bootleg Pokemon toys instead of going after rapists, murderers, drug dealers, thieves, human traffickers and organized crime. Making sure Nintendo (or any other corporation) doesn't lose any merchandising profits should be the #1 priority of all law enforcement.

You realize the police can do more than one thing at once right? It's not A or B.

I was mistaken, apparently Disney is allowing Stadin to sell Star Wars items and use official names and such, so while they're apparently not yet officially licensed Disney is allowing them to sell during the licensing process I guess (must be a gray area). Here's the relevant part of the convo from Facebook...

Convo.jpg

THANK YOU. Of all the stupid, wasteful and frankly hilariously off-putting uses of law enforcement resources, this has GOT to be #1. Oh well, if they're doing this at least it keeps them busy NOT doing stuff like no-knock raids at the wrong house.

I'm not sure how relative it is to your situation but in the past month I scored a ROTS Figuarts Obi-Wan for $60..... lost... and the real kicker, a $300 shipment of books for summer college courses...lost.

Obi was Fedex that screwed up, books were coming to me from a destination 2 friggin hours away and was handled by both UPS and USPS!!!!!!! I guess my point is, I share your pain to some degree although I got my money back or replacement in both cases. The mail is going crazy right now. I guess people are still buying and shipping online even though things are opening back up.....

The last I heard was that the Detroit?...? MI PO hub had a backlog of 10+ semi containers full of mail. It is supposed to be mass chaos at many of these larger hubs. Which I believe, I just tracked a package that sent seven days in Detroit and another three in a smaller MI city as it moved south. Its been 14 days now and still not here.

I meant to say I'm sorry you're dealing with these problems too. I suspect thatRamatuelle is right and that there is a lot of back-logging, and so workers let off steam on the merchandise... such as the border patrol, and my box that came mangled today. Bark speeder looks like it lost a battle with clankers. It's repairable, Sergio at Stadin felt really bad to see his baby messed up, and I did too. The FedEx guy said he was embarrassed to deliver it, the box was mangled and had border patrol tape on it, but it was barely holding together. Sergio is going to help me salvage things, and I plan to buy from him in the future - his work is impressive, what survived looked excellent.

I may just wait awhile until shipping companies and homeland security are more caught up and less stressed, because when they take their stress out on the stuff I paid hard earned money for, it makes me want to strangle some border patrol apes.

border patrol box.jpg

"Gee, it's a good thing it was marked fragile, or Border Patrol might have broken something." Shakes head with disguist... homeland apes, get your damn dirty paws off my BARC Speeder!

Why all the assumptions about BP seizing unlicensed merch? The OP was not notified or told that was the case.
Customs are backed up because of reduced personnel, so it's possible they put holds on packages. I have a few USB cables sitting in customs since Apr 22nd.
I also doubt that some BP employee knows what a 'BARC speeder' is, or if it's licensed or not.

Back