BLACKBOX 1/6 Rocketeer BBT9023A/B

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The original 'rocket man' was the Jeff King in the serial, King of the Rocket Men (June, 1949):

rm jk.jpg

The second was Commando Cody in Commando Cody: Radar Men from the Moon (January, 1952):

rmcc.jpg

For unknown reasons he was renamed 'Larry Martin' for the sequel series, Zombies of the Stratosphere (July, 1952):

rm lm.jpg

I have Zombies... in the great looking 1990s colourized version. It's interesting also for Leonard Nimoy playing one of the Martians.

He was back as Commando Cody for the next series, Commando Cody: Sky Marshall of the Universe (February, 1953).

With the helmet on they were practically all the same character, particularly from 1952-1953.

Ironically, their descendent, Cliff Secord, is actually their forebear since The Rocketeer was set in 1938.

It doesn't compute in my brain chronologically because, I know that when I put the two figures together, the Go Hero / Executive Replicas Cody is going to look like Black Box Rocketeer's dad. :lol

51990195431_32e8e62779_z.jpg

Curious about the inclusion of the holster, I went through all the comics from 1982 up until this month's issue of The Great Race.

Cliff was only shown wearing one in posters/cover art, and not during an actual story until 2011.

This was the original 1982 artwork, albeit worn as a cross draw and on the hip:

The Rocketeer - The Complete Adventures-077.jpg

It was IDW who first put a holster on him during a story in 2011:

Rocketeer Adventures 004-016.jpg

In 2012 they made him left handed:

rocket202-08.jpg

A few months later he was right handed again:

rocket204-08.jpg

In 2013 it looks like they just decided to make him ambidextrous!

The Rocketeer - Cargo of Doom-028.jpg

The Broomhandle Mauser has been his iconic pistol from the start, though in the original comics he only briefly held Peevy's Schnellfeuer (with the extended version of the detachable magazine):

The Rocketeer - The Complete Adventures-051.jpg

Black Box's inclusion of a holster is a welcome addition, but the drop down gunslinger style seems a very impractical choice for a rocketeer once the wind takes hold of it.

What Black Box looks like they actually made was a bandolier style holster, which would explain why it's so long and low hanging when worn from the hip.

m1.jpeg
Black Box Rocketeer (5).jpg

The ends of the belt are pegged around the holster rings onto spikes, so it may be possible to safely unpeg them. So with two small strips of leather it should be quite simple to attach the holster to the belt instead:

Black Box Rocketeer (1).jpg

Yeah it's odd that they threw in a holster, but I gotta admit it does compliment the outfit really well. And I can easily imagine him adding one in the sequel if we had ever gotten it.

It does look good. The only thing that I would add would be a leather cord to tie the bottom of the holster around his leg.

It would keep it tight to the leg and not flopping around when flying. (plus look better).

Helmet is gigantic and plastic-looking. The rest doesn't look all that bad.

Those flames are "hot" :ROFLMAO:

c19671118187a40a72a1583a239eadf61555020286.jpeg

Last edited:
It might be the focal length, or the head jutting forward, but it doesn't look far off this angle from the film:

The Rocketeer costume 3.jpg

Black Box Rocketeer in hand 2.jpg

Compared to the tight fitting comic book version, the film helmet looked bulkier.

The shape seems to have improved since the prototype images as it's no longer so slim.

No doubt Joao's working on his video, and the truth will be revealed.

Joao confirmed:

Joao Breda
Author
the helmet is a bit big

Joao Breda
Author
The thing is, if they made it smaller the head wouldn’t fit well inside.

It's unusual for a company to make a helmet that fits over an unmodified sculpt with this much hair:

Black Box Rocketeer (6).jpg

I intend to put another sculpt under the helmet and keep this one back for something else.

Are you crazy?? You have to latch every button?? Anyway, impressive outfit, with all those complex layers, and the final fit is very tight!

Back