BLACKBOX 1/6 Rocketeer BBT9023A/B

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am surprised to read praises for the Medicom version. Talk about a "project." I owned all three versions, and they all had issues. I customized my Medicom into a comic version. I also have the Toribox version (pictured with Bettie Page). That figure is a grail piece. I ordered two Black Box versions, but it seems that only OSK has received and shipped the product. My only big concern is popping the loose buttons. I think it has potential.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1647151871014.jpg
    FB_IMG_1647151871014.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1647151899517.jpg
    FB_IMG_1647151899517.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220209_155355639~2-01.jpeg
    IMG_20220209_155355639~2-01.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220311_141624597_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20220311_141624597_HDR~2.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220127_162316379_HDR_1.jpg
    IMG_20220127_162316379_HDR_1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1630471178525.jpg
    FB_IMG_1630471178525.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1625443810410.jpg
    FB_IMG_1625443810410.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 0
My figure came today and I think mostly it's servicable but I can't get past the helmet. It's ridiculously large. The helmet in the promo image on the box is even smaller than what shipped. The outfit is tailored well and very slim fitting but when you get above the neck it screams Action Man. Such a bizzare decison to not include a seperate sculpt. For me it ruins it. I'm going to pack it back up and think on it over the long weekend to either get that shapeways helmet or just sell the figure.

I microwaved a cup of water and gave the helmet a dip. I pinched the front by the mouth in a bit and I think it looks alot better. It made me happy anyway.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20220527-155948_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220527-155948_Gallery.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 0
Just received mine today, and as a basis for a custom I'm actually pretty happy with it. The outfit looks great and the likeness on the sculpt is a whole lot better in hand than appears in pics, and is simply let down by a bad paint job.

Obviously the helmet is ridiculous but I wasn't planning to use it anyway. And both it and the jetpack have a very rough texture for some reason, so will probably need to be sanded down.

I put the original sculpt back on the figure after realising it was quite a bit shorter than the one I was using, so the helmet now sits lower. The gap to the collar had been bothering me.

I might try The Jerker's heat 'n squeeze idea, but as it is the helmet doesn't bother me much because it's in-keeping with the scale of Cody's.

If anyone was curious, here's how the Medicom jetpack compares with the new one. I'm by no means an expert on Rocketeer props and costumes, but to my eye the Medicom looks miles better and more accurate compared to the Blackbox which seems too flat and wide. So it's probably the one I'll stick with, even if it might be a bit small on the figure.

20220527_175647 (2).jpg

And here's a quick mockup with the Medicom helmet on. I haven't gone through the trouble of attaching the front flap yet, and there's a ton of work I need to do on this, but I'm pretty happy with the overall proportions. (Sorry, not trying to rub it in for people who don't own the Medicom figure).

20220527_180006 (2).jpg

20220527_175936 (2).jpg

If anyone was curious, here's how the Medicom jetpack compares with the new one. I'm by no means an expert on Rocketeer props and costumes, but to my eye the Medicom looks miles better and more accurate compared to the Blackbox which seems too flat and wide. So it's probably the one I'll stick with, even if it might be a bit small on the figure.

20220527_175647-2-jpg.579707
View attachment 579707

I found this photo of the prop before I got the figure, but never bothered to refer to it when he arrived:

The Rocketeer costume 2.jpg

I don't have any particular attachment to the film, because it didn't grab me when I saw it at the cinema, so screen accuracy isn't so important. I just like the idea and the period look of the character.

I love the Medi helmet on that. I had version 1 up through 2.5 and wish I would have kept one. I agree the Medicom rocket pack looks nicer. I'm going to give the Blackbox pack a blach wash at somepoint but I don't think that will do too much.

I microwaved a cup of water and gave the helmet a dip. I pinched the front by the mouth in a bit and I think it looks alot better. It made me happy anyway.
This looks way better! How long did you have it in the water and you just pinched it in with your fingers??

I've been considering ordering a new jacket from Geewhiz Customs which is made of real leather, but haven't been quite ready to pay the $300 for it yet.

View attachment 533699

And there's another guy on FB who made a really nice one for only $100, but I unfortunately missed out on it. So I'm checking with him now to see if he might do another run.

View attachment 533700
Wow, yeah if you here from that guy on fb, I’d put in $100 also - that’s really nice!!

This looks way better! How long did you have it in the water and you just pinched it in with your fingers??
Not for very long. I nuked the water for 3 mintues and dunked the bottom of the helmet for about 8 seconds. It gets really plyable and holds its shape as it cools. It's almost like it's expected to be done. You can shape it and tapper in the front a bit. The head sculpt is kinda squishy so you can squeeze it a little to get the helmet back on without issue.
SmartSelect_20220528-010213_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I've been considering ordering a new jacket from Geewhiz Customs which is made of real leather, but haven't been quite ready to pay the $300 for it yet.

View attachment 533699

And there's another guy on FB who made a really nice one for only $100, but I unfortunately missed out on it. So I'm checking with him now to see if he might do another run.

View attachment 533700
Is the guy on FB who made that one Hendi Cheung, by chance??

Man, those fully gloved hands are absolutely horrid. Not only do they do a terrible job of holding the gun but they're badly sculpted and extend out way too far as well. Think I'll just stick with the other two and paint them up as fully gloved hands (since I don't remember him ever using fingerless gloves in the movie anyway).

Last edited:
Man, those fully gloved hands are absolutely horrid. Not only do they do a terrible job of holding the gun but they're badly sculpted and extend out way too far as well.
I thought the same. They just look bad and there's no excuse for a hand that can't hold the weapon that it's made for. The Medi hands may work.

Not for very long. I nuked the water for 3 mintues and dunked the bottom of the helmet for about seconds. It gets really plyable and holds its shape as it cools. It's almost like it's expected to be done. You can shape it and tapper in the front a bit. The head sculpt is kinda squishy so you can squeeze it a little to get the helmet back on without issue.View attachment 579740

The hot water trick worked well.

Maybe a little too well because I couldn't get the helmet over the stock sculpt afterwards. No problem, as I replaced it one from a Disney Krennic which was the identical height. So I managed to retain the Cliff head again.

The helmet did turn to soft rubber very quickly. I pinched it in at the sides just between the two ridges.

While it may not be accurate to the prop in profile, I like the tapered effect you get by removing the fullness from the sides.

EDIT:

I took a second pass at heating 'n squeezing, softening the inward curve on the sides and focusing more on narrowing the mouth section.

The camera's charging, but from the front it now resembles this image much more closely, with the same amount of the sides visible, and the jaw is narrower:

rock.jpg

Comparing it to the photos I took before the helmet is less 'blocky' looking.

Back