BLACKBOX 1/6 Rocketeer BBT9023A/B

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Deluxe on preorder, but may cancel. That Helmet is just unacceptable.

I know it's third party, but I am sure they must also think that Helmet looks huge.

I have the Medicom 2.0 I think, but the jacket is falling apart. I never removed from packaging as I bought it a few years back, but yeah...been looking for a replacement, especially unmasked head.

But Spending 200 plus, with the helmet, I just can't.

I switched my Medicom over to a taller 1/6 body a while ago, and I think the proportions still work fairly well. The helmet might be a bit small, but that's definitely better than being massively oversized. So I'm hoping the helmet will work just as well on the new Blackbox figure.

20220522_094336 (2).jpg

Last edited:
I switched my Medicom over to a taller 1/6 body a while ago, and I think the proportions still work fairly well. The helmet might be a bit small, but that's definitely better than being massively oversized. So I'm hoping the helmet will work just as well on the new Blackbox figure.

View attachment 578425
That looks fantastic, davejames.

I've been thinking of doing the same for years but just haven't gotten around to it.

I opted for the deluxe B version, but definitely on the fence how this looks once in-hand because of the over sized helmet.

Anyone able to speak for how the Medicom version 2.5 holds up? Makes me wonder if that’s a better figure to chase vs this.

But I’m hopeful this one will be legit once in-hand, despite the helmet size.

Collectors regard diecast only second to beskar or adamantium, depending on what they collect.

I opted for the deluxe B version, but definitely on the fence how this looks once in-hand because of the over sized helmet.

Anyone able to speak for how the Medicom version 2.5 holds up? Makes me wonder if that’s a better figure to chase vs this.

But I’m hopeful this one will be legit once in-hand, despite the helmet size.
I have the Medicom 2.5 version (I think that was the final version) and it looks perfect. Absolutely no issues with the jacket. Rocket pack even has the gum for plugging the bullet hole. Nice little detail.

Due to be delivered late this afternoon.
Looking forward to your review, Asta. :clap

A quick unfutzed pic of mine. (I just threw it on a shelf in order to take the pic.) I do believe that an update to the body, as davejames did a few posts above, would enhance the figure, but not really needed.

Medicom 2-5 Rocketeer.jpg

What I find most attractive about the new figure is the unhelmeted option.

I received the set a little while ago.

There's a general feeling that some parts are more low end.

The helmet is wide, but at it's widest it's no wider than Commando Cody's. So in that respect I think they'll fit together.

Joao had bad mould marks on the top of his, on mine it's smaller indentations - one larger on the back, and a couple of small ones under the right eye. They look like marks from where the helmet was pulled from the mould or touched when wet, leaving dark patches without the copper finish.

The jacket pleather is the rubbery kind, almost tacky, but probably quite durable.

The boots look okay but the laces were too long, so I shortened the loop and trimmed the ends.

The trousers are pretty well tailored.

The hands/gloves are shiny and rubbery, and a bit tacky.

The sculpt is okay but there's a sweaty gloss that shows at certain angles, especially under his eyes which makes it looks like he's crying!

The rocket itself is well detailed and thankfully very light plastic.

There's a helmet liner with chin strap made from the same thin pleather as the holster and gun belt. I still intend to remove the holster from the belt, since it's modelled on the original bandolier which naturally makes it too long and impractical for a rocket man.

The ends of the belt prised off the pegs safely, detaching the holster. Now I just need to cut a couple of strips of leather to loop through the holster rings to attach it to the trouser belt.

The Broomhandle Mauser is pretty good. I think the specs said it was a Bolo, but it resembles the M1932/M712 Schnellfeuer since it has both the select-fire mechanism on the side and the sculpt of a detachable box magazine underneath.

(The Bolo, which was loaded from the top with a stripper clip, was produced between 1921 and 1930, and the select-fire mechanism wasn't invented until 1930).

The only moving part on the 1/6 pistol is the leaf sight, but it refuses to lay completely flat. It'll have to be either glued down or flipped up as if in use.

Testing the helmet on the figure without the jacket the size looks off-putting. However, once I stood him next to Cody it didn't look bad at all. I'm expecting it to improve more once he has the extra thickness of the jacket.

I swapped the sculpt out so I could use the more unique and period looking Cliff for something else.

As I feared, the jacket bib is a nightmare because the buttons aren't sewn on very securely.

I had to resort to a DiD button hook, and two buttons pulled completely off the jacket. Luckily they weren't the critical ones at the top or corners which are required to hold the bib tight, so the buttons can be pushed through the holes from the outside and used 'decoratively'.

You also have to watch out for the nail art buttons glued to the harness, because two of those fell off. These don't really matter though, unless you're going to display the bib flipped down.

I wasn't considering the sculpt when I was taking the photos, so didn't realise how badly the flash affected it. It doesn't look that bad in hand.

100_2427.JPG

100_2428.JPG

100_2429.JPG

100_2430.JPG

100_2434.JPG

I tried repainting the black marks and indentations under the right eye with a mix of Games Workshop paints. They don't show up on display:

100_2433.JPG

With his descendent, Cody:

100_2438.JPG
100_2440.JPG

100_2442.JPG

The changes I made were:

Unpegging the holster from the belt and fastening it to the trouser belt with two strips of leather glued into loops.

Swapped the sculpt out for a VTS Revenger/Punisher 1.0.

Cut the boot laces shorter.

Glued the two buttons to the bib that pulled off the jacket.

Cut off the zip toggle so it wouldn't show through the bib.

He looks okay. There's things they certainly could've done better, such as making the boots sculpted; and making more interesting hands. The only trigger hand is the gloved one, but the index finger doesn't go far enough through the trigger guard, so the thumb doesn't line up with the hammer. The matching left hand is an old open, pancake style, which is awkward to use naturally.

The jacket could've been designed better, as the shirt collar shouldn't be showing at all.

Honestly seeing your pics make me feel better about it. Still makes me wonder if I should keep it vs chasing the more pricey Medicom 2.0 or 2.5, or just do both lol but I do think the helmet doesn’t look as terrible as I feared in these photos. Great review though!!

I have the Medicom 2.5 version (I think that was the final version) and it looks perfect. Absolutely no issues with the jacket. Rocket pack even has the gum for plugging the bullet hole. Nice little detail.

Looking forward to your review, Asta. :clap
Man that Medicom definitely looks legit. I dunno, maybe both is my answer, despite my wallets pleas lol but now after seeing Asta’s pics, I feel better about how this should turn out.

The highest compliment I can pay the Medicom though imo, is the color scheme and aesthetic look more movie-accurate to me. But this new one still screams Rocketeer to me too.

Man that Medicom definitely looks legit. I dunno, maybe both is my answer, despite my wallets pleas lol but now after seeing Asta’s pics, I feel better about how this should turn out.

The highest compliment I can pay the Medicom though imo, is the color scheme and aesthetic look more movie-accurate to me. But this new one still screams Rocketeer to me too.
Yes, if I didn't have the Medicom 2.5, I would most likely pick up this new one, if only for the head sculpt option.

I do like how the pants fit on this new one. The body fills the outfit up nicely.

I think that I mentioned it earlier in this thread but I feel that the Medicom better captures the film version while this new one could be from, "The further adventures of the Rocketeer!"

Honestly seeing your pics make me feel better about it. Still makes me wonder if I should keep it vs chasing the more pricey Medicom 2.0 or 2.5, or just do both lol but I do think the helmet doesn’t look as terrible as I feared in these photos. Great review though!!

Thanks. :)

The helmet doesn't bother me now. Maybe I just got accustomed to it?

I'm pleased with the figure after making the little modifications, and getting him into his final pose which doesn't put any stress or deep creases in the pleather.

100_2456.JPG
100_2457.JPG

Maybe I just got used to it

Yes, if I didn't have the Medicom 2.5, I would most likely pick up this new one, if only for the head sculpt option.

I do like how the pants fit on this new one. The body fills the outfit up nicely.

I think that I mentioned it earlier in this thread but I feel that the Medicom better captures the film version while this new one could be from, "The further adventures of the Rocketeer!"

The body appears to be good on this. No loose limbs and a solid feeling to it.

The clothes fit very well. The jacket is as snug as a DiD, only lacking their quality of materials... and button stitching.

The shoulder straps use working buttons as well, which I found out because the right hand one came unbuttoned a couple of times while putting the bib on.

The light plastic rocket pack is great. I'm glad they didn't feel the need to go diecast like the Executive Replicas/Go Hero Cody - because that's so heavy they gave him the stand with the long rod to help support it.

Nice pics! The helmet doesn't look nearly as monstrously huge here as it did in the BigBreda review. Although appears it could definitely use a repaint and a bit of weathering.

It's a shame about the buttons, but I had a feeling they weren't going to be attached well.

Nice pics! The helmet doesn't look nearly as monstrously huge here as it did in the BigBreda review. Although appears it could definitely use a repaint and a bit of weathering.

It's a shame about the buttons, but I had a feeling they weren't going to be attached well.

Thanks. :)

I was really worried about the buttons after the second one came off, wondering what I'd do if the corner ones went as well. :panic:

The alternative would either be gluing the bib in place permanently because I never intend to take it off, or getting some small magnets to try and make it temporary.

Back