Big Chief Studios: Peaky Blinders 1/6 figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pulled the plug tonight and canceled. After waiting two years and it still looks like this? Amateur hour—sorry. This looks like something really cool you might find in Target or Walmart toy aisle, not a premium priced collectible. Suckered me with Ming and Flash. No more. Had hope since some of the Dr. Who line looked decent. C’est la vie. Live and learn—don’t waste time or money on Big Chief Studio products.
Exactly. I can't justify the price or even put it next to my other 1/6th. He has chocolate mousse hair for God's sake. My Doctors will go in their own corner, so even if they're older and not up to HT quality, I don't mind. But I'm praying the new Definitive 12th I've already paid off comes out better, because I'll need him to be up to the current standard. With taxes and shipping and everything, BCS won't be seeing my cash again, especially after such a poor showing. I lost 100€, but it's a better alternative to paying another ~400€ for such a figure.

If quality is an issue for you, then you made the right choice. I’m still in, as the representation of a character matters most to me.

But you could have waited for more in hands pictures before canceling. If these somehow end up being better than the early shots (as sometimes happen) you would regret canceling too soon. I would have canceled after seeing some reviews.

If quality is an issue for you, then you made the right choice. I’m still in, as the representation of a character matters most to me.

But you could have waited for more in hands pictures before canceling. If these somehow end up being better than the early shots (as sometimes happen) you would regret canceling too soon. I would have canceled after seeing some reviews.
Eh, I don't care for the show enough. I shouldn't had POed in the first place, but the autograph enticed me. Taxes and shipping kept rising, and I'm not spending 500€ on anything bellow IA level. I'll probably even skip the EXO-6 Kirk/Spock I was planning to get this year due to the rising prices on those fields.

But really, that picture with the mousse hair was enough to convince me, I didn't need anything more...

I did that with Ming and Flash. The wait was just as long and the result just as disappointing. When I look at the recent history for BCS figures, they are like from an earlier era. Not interested.

Yeah those production pics that were posted aren't the best to go from as they were taken with flash photography.
Even the very best from HT look washed out and crap under camera flash.

Truth be told I was looking for a reason to cancel. I wasn't feeling it for a while now but I had dropped that 100€ deposit and wasn't willing to part with it. The photos were a justification. It might turn out to be a tad more detailed, but at the number it'd end up costing me after taxes, it was certainly not worth it to me (no special attachment to the character and the such).

So you think that getting it and then selling it off on ebay would've ended up losing you more money than the 100 euro deposit?

So you think that getting it and then selling it off on ebay would've ended up losing you more money than the 100 euro deposit?
I didn't really think about that. But why buy from me when it's still available? Theoretically I could've paid the 500€ now, then waited a year or something, and tried to unload the Sig edition (which is still in-stock over at BCS) at a higher price. But why would anyone buy from me and import it, paying taxes and shipping? I doubt there are people around my parts who know enough about the hobby, missed the figure, and are willing to pay more to get it. And anyone from the US and UK can easily find someone else in their general area selling any figure. It's why I try to make the best possible buy at all times; I can't really resell. If I buy it, it's done. I bought a Silver Surfer Omni and it came with the wrong spine. I ordered it again from another shop and the same thing happened. Now I both don't have the cover I wanted, and I basically wasted 75€ as I have the extra sitting in a closet. I've thrown away basically 2K in single issues because I couldn't complete the run(s) or had lost interest in the title/character/team. I'm kinda used to practically throwing money down the drain. If it doesn't fit my screwed up idea of my collection, I chuck it away. I'd rather lose 100€ than waste another 400€ and be stuck with a mid figure. That 400€ is basically 1.5 HTs, ~1 rooted IA, or the E6 Kirk or Spock (that I'll probably be passing too). It's not a character or show I love, so eh, why pursue it? Better to lose that hundred I think. How else am I gonna get my Clown Kang from Kang-Man KangMania as soon as it goes up for PO?!

Seeing the latest live stream and hearing that InArt hopes that they can eventually get the Peaky Blinders license gives me hope. If I remember correctly, John mentioned that since someone else (BCS) already had the license, it made it more difficult for them to also grab it, especially considering they hadn’t released a figure yet. I got the implication with a lot of licenses they tried to get but didn’t was tied to them being a new company and not having any products out yet making the licensors a little skeptical. There was a lot of (and I’m paraphrasing) “once we’ve had some actual production figures under our belt we can go back and try again for certain licenses”

Yeah, I see your point. I was just wondering if the money could be recouped.
At this point if I've learned anything it's once something's lost, then that's it. So I just try to forget it and move on.

Seeing the latest live stream and hearing that InArt hopes that they can eventually get the Peaky Blinders license gives me hope. If I remember correctly, John mentioned that since someone else (BCS) already had the license, it made it more difficult for them to also grab it, especially considering they hadn’t released a figure yet. I got the implication with a lot of licenses they tried to get but didn’t was tied to them being a new company and not having any products out yet making the licensors a little skeptical. There was a lot of (and I’m paraphrasing) “once we’ve had some actual production figures under our belt we can go back and try again for certain licenses”
Yeah, it made me think something similar as well. An IA Tommy would certainly be worth the cash as far as quality would go.

That's a very nice review.
The real drawback on these figures are the paint apps on the sculpts, otherwise they should look amazing with some proper futzing.
Once again, even this guy used super harsh lighting, you can see it on his hands and forearms, they are blinding white when he enters the light box.

One thing that worries me is that the sculpts appear somewhat translucent when hit with a strong light. Kind of like the Deckard sculpt from Dark Toys. Hope that’s not the case.

Paint is definitely the drawback here. Feel like even my DamToys Assassins Creed figures have better paint. And detail in the sculpts also look to have been lost a bit.

I agree that proper futzing could probably really help these out. I really don’t like the bodies they use. They have nice, tight joints but are pretty barrel chested with super narrow shoulders.

That's a good video review. Will get the Tommy figure, maybe eventually Arthur in the future.

Back