Big Chief Studios - 10th Doctor (2005-2010) TARDIS 1:6 Scale Collector diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just realized I've never posted this and I have a ton of stuff I haven't posted that I've only shared on instagram.
Yes, that is the Big Chief 221B door diorama. I felt that since it was a door, it was a shame that it didn't open, so I decided to modify it to open. Then I realized, that when it opens, it needs the interior to match what is seen on the show, so I made that, then the diorama continued to snowball until I extended the left and right sides. Added additional LEDs for lighting the interior, restaurant and outside light and voila!
Mind you, this was all done by hand, no 3D printing and most of the pieces are made of real wood.
You did post it in the Baker Street thread. I remember seeing it and being blown away (unless there is another guy who did this which I doubt) Still scratching my mind how you were able to saw that door open. It seems so sturdy? And isn't there electronics for the light, hope you did not saw through that?

The way you extended it to both sides sure makes for a great diorama to photograph figures in. The door alone is way too narrow if you want two figures together.
DSC06122.jpg

wonderful work
Even the lettering was hand cut vinyl since I wanted to make this diorama the "old school" way. I sculpted the folds of the awning and pineapple finial on the fence. I even made the racks, oven thing, to go boxes, and menus in the restaurant for more realism.
Here's a picture comparison with the real thing:
View attachment 533773
excellent work as usual

Yeah I remember this one. It was impressive then, and it is still impressive now. :clap

Even the lettering was hand cut vinyl since I wanted to make this diorama the "old school" way. I sculpted the folds of the awning and pineapple finial on the fence. I even made the racks, oven thing, to go boxes, and menus in the restaurant for more realism.
Here's a picture comparison with the real thing:
View attachment 533773
I am truly lost for words.
Absolutely beautiful. Labour of love. Work of art.
You did like that show, didn't you?
Good work!

You did post it in the Baker Street thread. I remember seeing it and being blown away (unless there is another guy who did this which I doubt) Still scratching my mind how you were able to saw that door open. It seems so sturdy? And isn't there electronics for the light, hope you did not saw through that?

The way you extended it to both sides sure makes for a great diorama to photograph figures in. The door alone is way too narrow if you want two figures together.View attachment 533784

Thanks! That’s a beautiful set you have. You’re right though about how narrow the original diorama is for photos, which was another reason I wanted to do the extensions.
Lol, I had a feeling I posted this build before, but I couldn’t find the thread.
The wire for the lights had a channel routed in the back of the door, so I just moved the battery pack and wire to the top of the new room I made.
There are 3 brass hinges for the door which I inset into the back wall and the door sections and mounted with epoxy so it is super sturdy.
I also used magnets so that when the door is closed, it stays closed until it is pushed open.

I really need to do more dioramas since this was such a fun build.
Now that I have a 3D printer, it just opens more possibilities.

Thanks! That’s a beautiful set you have. You’re right though about how narrow the original diorama is for photos, which was another reason I wanted to do the extensions.
Lol, I had a feeling I posted this build before, but I couldn’t find the thread.
My background with the white bricks is just a printed paperboard that I can get in the craftshop. I should make the effort to have at least yellow bricks in bigger size to match the door, even if there are no windows or other things.

Found it! There does not seem to be a Baker Street Door thread, you posted in the main Sherlock thread. Here is the thread page where you started, scroll down for all the posts (and for everyone else, many more details to be seen):

https://www.collectorfreaks.com/threads/big-chief-studios-bbc-sherlock.115882/page-100

Back