Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better pics without the pink light! Again, only 4 and 12 are the new figures. The others are originals. I think they look pretty good really. Very obvious they’re not high end but none of the BCS stuff has felt that way until the 3rd Doctor figure which was a big step up.

Attachments

• 9F8F8597-5EAC-4BF3-AA97-169A8F660DA3.jpeg
    9F8F8597-5EAC-4BF3-AA97-169A8F660DA3.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 77788F6A-164B-4247-86F3-FACA35907F5C.jpeg
    77788F6A-164B-4247-86F3-FACA35907F5C.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 952E5098-C333-488B-8E2B-7A6F0704AF01.jpeg
    952E5098-C333-488B-8E2B-7A6F0704AF01.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 678AA38C-9846-41BF-828A-5E2D9D83CBE7.jpeg
    678AA38C-9846-41BF-828A-5E2D9D83CBE7.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
To be fair, all bcs stuff needs A LOT of working with to make look good, so I wouldn't say the reissues look that much different other than hobo paint being removed

To be fair, all bcs stuff needs A LOT of working with to make look good, so I wouldn't say the reissues look that much different other than hobo paint being removed
Do you mean fussing with the product itself? Or does it generally require things it shouldn't like changing out bodies, buying extra clothes or even worse, repainting the heads? True a skilled artist can make almost anything better but a) shouldn't have to and b) not an artist.

Do you mean fussing with the product itself? Or does it generally require things it shouldn't like changing out bodies, buying extra clothes or even worse, repainting the heads? True a skilled artist can make almost anything better but a) shouldn't have to and b) not an artist.
Yeah, just positioning clothes mostly. I will say that I have dremeled down the torsos to slim them down sometimes. I know, I'm extreme haha

That cheap faux-velvet material that companies use always fades over time... unless you literally keep your figure in a dark, sealed room. Granted it takes years but the two or three figures I have had with that material have all faded somewhat. You don't notice until you get a fresh version.
I can't find any old pictures of my figure, but I'll go with it's faded. Personally, I think faded looks closer to the actual coat than bright red.

Generally I prefer striking color for display, but the faded, worn clothes do match the character better. A lot of those older outfits were hand-me-down pickups on the fly or in storage in the TARDIS for God knows how many eons. That's not a deal breaker for me though. The body quality and whether there's loose joints...that could be a different matter.

Saw some of these in hand this morning. 4 looked how I felt when I saw him, 10 looked like a cosplayer and I think the other next to them was Matt. None were instantly recognisable or really wowed me. 9 wasn't bad, but there was no way he was worth the £225 they were asking for him. £35 yes.

I'am the first one to criticise BCS every time something is not good, or not as good as it should be, but some of the comments on these have been too harsh. Those are just slightly better than the original, but so slightly that we can't count those as 1/6 figure made in 2022. They are not hot toys figures that for sure, or at the level of other companies. But technicaly some of those figures are 10 year old. We know whats wrong with them for years now. We now 4th headsculpt is bad without a proper repaint, 10th is an awful figure with a bad head paint and awfull coat, etc.. I don't see the point at criticising again, especialy BCS as they didn't have anything to do with those. The only thing to criticise is that they Should have been an upgrade, thats for sure. But the figures themself aren't that bad. They are slightly upgrade of a few years old figures, made by a small companie, who add their flaws. But overall they are not that bad. On the picture i share 2 pages ago you can see that with good poses and good lightning they are quite nice. They all have their flaws, some more than other (10th), but for 200€ they're good enought.

Personally i'm glad those were remade, because some of them were not available for a acceptable price, and its allows new people to get some of the Doctors. And BCS showed us since the release of 8th that they are now capable of making really great figures so i have no doubt the next ones will be amazing.

I'am the first one to criticise BCS every time something is not good, or not as good as it should be, but some of the comments on these have been too harsh. Those are just slightly better than the original, but so slightly that we can't count those as 1/6 figure made in 2022. They are not hot toys figures that for sure, or at the level of other companies. But technicaly some of those figures are 10 year old. We know whats wrong with them for years now. We now 4th headsculpt is bad without a proper repaint, 10th is an awful figure with a bad head paint and awfull coat, etc.. I don't see the point at criticising again, especialy BCS as they didn't have anything to do with those. The only thing to criticise is that they Should have been an upgrade, thats for sure. But the figures themself aren't that bad. They are slightly upgrade of a few years old figures, made by a small companie, who add their flaws. But overall they are not that bad. On the picture i share 2 pages ago you can see that with good poses and good lightning they are quite nice. They all have their flaws, some more than other (10th), but for 200€ they're good enought.

Personally i'm glad those were remade, because some of them were not available for a acceptable price, and its allows new people to get some of the Doctors. And BCS showed us since the release of 8th that they are now capable of making really great figures so i have no doubt the next ones will be amazing. The BCS logo is on the box so it's still their product. I'm guessing Zavvi helped to get these made with financial backing, hense having them exclusively available for their site.
The BCS logo is on the packaging so it's still very much their product. I'm guessing Zavvi were the financial clout behind getting these made, hence the figures being exclusive to their store.

Its still made by Zavvi. As someone said on Facebook its odd how they trusted their brandings and reputation to someone else, without having a say on how they will look. But still this time BCS can't be blame for how those rerelease looks.

Personally i'm glad those were remade, because some of them were not available for a acceptable price, and its allows new people to get some of the Doctors. And BCS showed us since the release of 8th that they are now capable of making really great figures so i have no doubt the next ones will be amazing.

I’d agree with this. People knew what they were and people looking for some amazing upgrade just made that up in their own heads. The figures were always reissues of 10 year old products and BCS never pretended otherwise, except for maybe saying the paint app should be better which it certainly is for 4. If you really cooked up something unrealistic in your mind and you’re unhappy return them to BCS. Sure they’ll refund.

Also, yes their 8th, 3rd and 13th doctors were far and away their best work. 6 looks excellent. Bodes well for the next releases.

Last edited:
Also, yes their 8th, 3rd and 13th doctors were far and away their best work. 6 looks excellent. Bodes well for the next releases.

3rd and 13th are great but 8 has the five o'clock shadow again and it's worse than the one 4 had, in my opinion. On my figure the light seems to always catch it and make it look like he's actually meant to have a beard and mustache. I would put War above 8 in terms of quality.

I'm working my way through the two blue / brown suit ten reviews now. I much prefer blue tenant's hair but yeah thinking the head sculpt might be better on brown. Or it might just be the harsh light. Hard to tell. But the blue suit did remind me that character options did that particular version too. And it was a LOT more affordable as I recall. For that matter I don't think the companions were just horrible either. Am I misremembering? I know it's been a long time so maybe. But since these are cut-back releases and the boxes not all that special, and Ten's coat is probably the weakest part of the figure...anyone own both? Or seen a review comparing the BCS and Character Options 12 inch figs? Would they "fit in"?

Last edited:
This was the email someone shared on FB

View attachment 602438
Ah i see, so Zavvi are hiding behind the BCS license. Hopefully my 4th won't have any QC issues, as i bought it direct from BCS.

What's Sideshow collectibles involvement in it all is anyone's guess. I don't see them listed on their site.

From the Zavvi product page...

Product Details
Character:
  • 4th Doctor
franchise:
  • Doctor Who
Character Series:
  • Doctor Who
Actor:
  • Tom Baker
Brand:
  • Sideshow Collectibles, Big Chief Studios

I'm working my way through the two blue / brown suit ten reviews now. I much prefer blue tenant's hair but yeah thinking the head sculpt might be better on brown. Or it might just be the harsh light. Hard to tell. But the blue suit did remind me that character options did that particular version too. And it was a LOT more affordable as I recall. For that matter I don't think the companions were just horrible either. Am I misremembering? I know it's been a long time so maybe. But since these are cut-back releases and the boxes not all that special, and Ten's coat is probably the weakest part of the figure...anyone own both? Or seen a review comparing the BCS and Character Options 12 inch figs? Would they "fit in"?
The old CO version had the brown suit. The tailoring was pretty poor though, and not the same quality as BCS.

I tried using that CO suit with BCS grinning 10th sculpt. For 10 Euro it works ok from a distance. Even better when you throw the coat over it:D

BC8.JPGDSC_0269.JPG

Back