Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been following this thread for the longest time now and despìte pre ordering my 10th doctor at the beginning of 2022 I'm quite pleased with the final result! He arrived yesterday and even though I had to give the figure a new body (as the original was absolute trash) i was extremely happy wuth the way it turned out. Now to wait for my 11th nd 12th doctors to arrive in January and I'll be set!
Looks really good!!
What body did you use?

Looks really good!!
What body did you use?
Thank you! It turned out pretty good. I used the Worldbox standard 020 it's basically a much higher quality version of what big chief uses but unlike Bcs bodies it comes with proper ball joint ankle articulation allowing him to stand properly.

Also adds considerable weight making it feel much more like a premium figure. The skin tone is different but if you use the neck and hands from the original you'll never know the difference.

Thank you! It turned out pretty good. I used the Worldbox standard 020 it's basically a much higher quality version of what big chief uses but unlike Bcs bodies it comes with proper ball joint ankle articulation allowing him to stand properly.

Also adds considerable weight making it feel much more like a premium figure. The skin tone is different but if you use the neck and hands from the original you'll never know the difference.
Thank you. Exactly what I needed. This is the second time I've owned this figure. I had the original brown suit but sold it. This is my first blue suit. I just saw a worldbox body I'm purchasing as soon as I post this. Again thanks.

Thank you. Exactly what I needed. This is the second time I've owned this figure. I had the original brown suit but sold it. This is my first blue suit. I just saw a worldbox body I'm purchasing as soon as I post this. Again thanks.
No problem at all! Glad I could help 😊. I would have loved to own the 50th anniversary edition as the head sculpt was far better on that one. Looking forward to seeing some photos of your body swap if you have the time 😉

Last edited:
No problem at all! Glad I could help 😊. I would have loved to own the original or even the 50th anniversary edition as the head sculpt was far better on that one. Looking forward to seeing some photos of your body swap if you have the time 😉
I made a few more modifications this afternoon to make him look closer to promotional material for David Tennants later doctor merchandise.

I wish I could get my hands on the 50th anniversary head sculpt 😥 by far the best likeness I've ever seen.

I can write a full list of mods to this figure if you're interested. But here's a couple of shots of what I've made so far lol
20221211_123123.jpg
20221211_125027.jpg

20221211_125038.jpg

This was my set up at one time. I have gotten rid of all three figures but replaced with Sideshow Superman with C. Reeves head, SMDM Steve Austin hunter figure, and now 10th doctor (again). I sold that TARDIS in the pics which I regret. It was an awesome custom. It was only the front which is great for saving space on the shelf. The windows and sign are backlit. I could make one but just finding the time is difficult.
What other changes did you make? I see you switched the shirt. I've gotten a light blue one ordered which hopefully will be here soon after Christmas. Also ordered some sunglasses.
Excellent posing btw. Very natural and doctor-like.

Attachments

• IMG_0563.JPG
    IMG_0563.JPG
    839.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0564.JPG
    IMG_0564.JPG
    605.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0567.JPG
    IMG_0567.JPG
    719.5 KB · Views: 0
This was my set up at one time. I have gotten rid of all three figures but replaced with Sideshow Superman with C. Reeves head, SMDM Steve Austin hunter figure, and now 10th doctor (again). I sold that TARDIS in the pics which I regret. It was an awesome custom. It was only the front which is great for saving space on the shelf. The windows and sign are backlit. I could make one but just finding the time is difficult.
What other changes did you make? I see you switched the shirt. I've gotten a light blue one ordered which hopefully will be here soon after Christmas. Also ordered some sunglasses.
Thank you! I like your previous set up it looks Fantastic! Your posing is also very natural 😉 it's always great to see collectors achieve realism with their figures! The light blue shirt will look fantastic once it arrives! Especially if yoi can still posehim with the 50th anniversary sculpt.

I made a few minor mods to this figure like replacing the original neck with a neck piece from a COOMODEL body that matched the skin tone a little better. While also giving his neck an appropriate height. The wrist pegs are also changed out to some DID pegs I had from an older body that seemed to not only be stronger than the originals but also matched the skin tone of the hands perfectly. Another minor mod I did was to reposition the shoulders of the Worldbox body to slope slightly further down by changing out the joints with some COOMODEL parts (this stuff is a little more technical if you dont know how to dismantle 1/6 bodies) but i found this gave it a much closer physique to David Tennant. I plan to change out the mid torso at some point when I find the body I'm after in my parts boxes to slim down his stomach and prevent the clip buttons on his jacket from sticking out quite so much. Finally I will be repainting the sculpt completely to try and breathe more life into the figure. Since I doubt I will ever find a 50th anniversary sculpt on its own to add to my Doctor I will repaint and resculpt the front of his hair to look slightly less goofy.

Excellent posing btw.
I forgot to mention! The tardis in your photos looks beyond amazing! I'm currently on the hunt for one myself. It will have to wait unroll I've paid off my 9th 11th and 12th doctors though as I simply couldn't resist picking up the whole lot upon re release 😁

Here's some more pics from several years back. Even though I had the first release, I managed to get a second release head which I prefer (as long as he has glasses or shades). Everything in these pics has now been sold. I guess it's just the thrill of the chase. Once I have it, I usually end up selling. Space is the major factor. I loved the 12 inch Doctor Who Character Option figures but it's just too much. I mainly now focus on the three figures I mentioned before (10th, SMDM, and Supes) and my Superman comic collection. Hopefully I'll hold onto this version of the Doctor for awhile. Usually if I break down and buy it a second time, it was meant to be.

Attachments

• 546.jpg
    546.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 545.jpg
    545.jpg
  • 547.jpg
    547.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 548.jpg
    548.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 549.jpg
    549.jpg
Here's some more pics from several years back. Even though I had the first release, I managed to get a second release head which I prefer (as long as he has glasses or shades). Everything in these pics has now been sold. I guess it's just the thrill of the chase. Once I have it, I usually end up selling. Space is the major factor. I loved the 12 inch Doctor Who Character Option figures but it's just too much. I mainly now focus on the three figures I mentioned before (10th, SMDM, and Supes) and my Superman comic collection. Hopefully I'll hold onto this version of the Doctor for awhile. Usually if I break down and buy it a second time, it was meant to be.

Looks great dude! I get what you mean in terms of space. My collection is getting out of hand to be honest I have over 80 figures in my living room alone 😂🤦‍♂️. That's without mentioning the comics and pop vinyls which are both in the high hundreds almost thousands now alomg with a crazy aount of other collectibles. I don't know about this 2.0 sculpt to be honest I don't see the likeness like I did in the 50th anniversary figure. I got him more as place holder until I can get my hands on the 50th Anv or the definitive version (when ever that comes out). Although I might have a crack at repainting the 2.0 sculpt in between now and then and see if I can achieve a better result, I'll most likely cut out that awful mess of hair at the front too and sculpt it too look much nicer when I have the time. That's a project for another occasion though. With a collection the size of mine it's hard to find time to modify all the figures to look like you really want them to 😏 not to mention the dozens of figures I have on pre order due to arrive at the beginning of the year 🤦‍♂️😂

I went and darkened up my 10th Drs coat using FabriCoat fabric paint dark brown. It's my first time using this paint and i'm pleasantly surprised by the results:)
Not an exact colour match to the real coat, but i think it's an improvement over the stock colour.

I need to shorten the tie a tad🧐

View attachment 613651View attachment 613652View attachment 613653View attachment 613654
Wowzers! This looks amazing! Did you repaint the head sculpt as well? It looks by far better than the sculpts from the recent re releases that we all seem to be getting. I compared your images to mine and was blown away by the difference!

Last edited:
Wowzers! This looks amazing! Did you repaint the head sculpt as well? It looks by far better than the sculpts from the recent re releases that we all seem to be getting. I compared your images to mine and was blown away by the difference!
Thanks, it was repainted by the very talented Mark Simpson. I've always found the head sculpt on this version to be an excellent likeness to later Tennant. The proto showed that below.

Unfortunately the production piece is let down by poor paint apps, or should i say lack of them.

10thDocBigChief.jpgDSC_4256.jpg

Thanks, it was repainted by the very talented Mark Simpson. I've always found the head sculpt on this version to be an excellent likeness to later Tennant. The proto showed that below.

Unfortunately the production piece is let down by poor paint apps, or should i say lack of them.

View attachment 613693View attachment 613690
I couldn't agree with you more! The prototype photos were excellent but in hand the sculpt looks nothing alike.

I'm considering repainting my own at some stage. Unless I can get a hold of the 50th anniversary sculpt which I've always thought was one of their best likenesses.
Just out of curiosity, is it still possible to get Mark to repaint a sculpt? How much did it cost to do so?

Thanks 😉

View attachment 613693View attachment 613690
Also, when you used the fabric paint did you use a spray can or the sponge method to apply it onto the coat? I'm seriously considering doing the same to mine after seeing your photos.

Could you describe the method from start to finish please? And if you used paint or ink in the process.

Thank you

Last edited:
I went and darkened up my 10th Drs coat using FabriCoat fabric paint dark brown. It's my first time using this paint and i'm pleasantly surprised by the results:)
Not an exact colour match to the real coat, but i think it's an improvement over the stock colour.

I need to shorten the tie a tad🧐

View attachment 613654

Yikes, that is looking brilliant! Im going to have to make the same modification on mine. What brand of fabric paint did you use? Did you have to spray it on? And where did you get that custom tie from?

I couldn't agree with you more! The prototype photos were excellent but in hand the sculpt looks nothing alike.

I'm considering repainting my own at some stage. Unless I can get a hold of the 50th anniversary sculpt which I've always thought was one of their best likenesses.
Just out of curiosity, is it still possible to get Mark to repaint a sculpt? How much did it cost to do so?

Thanks 😉
I bought this repainted sculpt from a fellow collector so i don't know how much Mark charges, but going from his instagram he takes commissions.

https://www.instagram.com/mpstudio79/

Also, when you used the fabric paint did you use a spray can or the sponge method to apply it onto the coat? I'm seriously considering doing the same to mine after seeing your photos.

Could you describe the method from start to finish please? And if you used paint or ink in the process.

Thank you
Yikes, that is looking brilliant! Im going to have to make the same modification on mine. What brand of fabric paint did you use? Did you have to spray it on? And where did you get that custom tie from?
I bought the FabriCoat paint on Amazon, but you could try your local craft shop.

If you've never used this before i'd advise you do a test run first on a scrap piece of material, just to get some practise in.
Just follow the procedure in the video below and you won't go wrong. As the coat is only a small piece you won't need to use a whole lot of paint.
I used a small paint brush and sponge to apply it. Then an old tooth brush and nail brush to work it into the fabric. The most important part is to make sure the coat is nice and damp before you start painting.

Don't worry if you see a blotchy/patchy look after the first application. Dampen the coat down again with water and apply a second coat of paint, again using the same procedure with a tooth/nail brush to work the paint into the fabric.
And don't worry that you might do damage to the coat fabric with the nail brush. I gave my coat a good scrubbing over multiple times with no damage. Just be careful around the wee coat buttons🧐.

Amazon link.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fabricoat-...t+fabric+dark+brown+paint,aps,203&sr=8-5&th=1
The tie is from the old Character Options figure.

Last edited:
Back