**Beware SPOILERS** Obi-Wan Kenobi Series on Disney+ **Beware SPOILERS**

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take your mature, nuanced and tempered interpretation of out-of-context remarks and get outta here, we're trying to get a witch hunt going!

6d9f16a9acf27fb73476e9832d2e2ea5.gif

Seriously though I think the actor does carry a responsibility to properly research the character he is playing, particularly when playing a character with a rabid fan base like Star Wars. You can't just demand that other people on set do your homework for you, then throw your hands up saying "what did I do wrong" when you get backlash on the internet.

Last edited:
Who cares if he "knows Star Wars"? What the hell is there to know?
Well if you ask Rian Johnson ... :LOL:

... but seriously ... I don't expect some actor to "know the lore" but I don't think it's too much to ask they do a little bit of homework.

Knowing the lore doesn't guarantee anything. Exhibit A: Dave "The Space Whale" Filoni.
Seriously though I think the actor does carry a responsibility to properly research the character he is playing, particularly when playing a character with a rabid fan base like Star Wars. You can't just demand that other people on set do your homework for you, then throw your hands up saying "what did I do wrong" when you get backlash on the internet.
Agreed. They don't need to be fans but come on, earn the paycheque.

Ewan is jealous of Hayden's spin move.
387180-20220509-001006.gif

View attachment 578651View attachment 578652
- I'll Try Spinning, That's A Good Trick. ...YIPPEE!!

Knowing the lore doesn't guarantee anything. Exhibit A: Dave "The Space Whale" Filoni.
Oddly enough, also gave us this nonsense...
682wpy.gif

Hopefully nobody takes off with it like a helicopter.

Although seeing Anakin/Vader snag one from an Inquisitor taking off into the air yelling this is how it's done, ... Yippee!
Would be hysterical. :lol

Last edited:
View attachment 578628

Indeed. He's playing a character that has been established already (by a better actor at that). He really ought to watch a few clips, make sure he gets the essence of the character.
It doesn't help that his character looks so crap. His performance is going to have to be extra good to overcome that.

This thread is going to be booming for the next couple of weeks. Can’t wait. I didn’t care much about boba but this right here is the one that’ll either make me rage or make me happy lol

In my heart I want this thread to be full of joy for the new series, but there's a part of me that would enjoy the BoBF thread Mark 2.

Dont worry, you will get your wish.

Im less emotionally invested this time, so it will be more academic for me. But yes, outrage incoming as we see characters we love severely mishandled YET AGAIN.

The G.I. using a lightsaber to fly as though he were Thor helicoptering Mjolnir will just be the icing on the cake.

Im less emotionally invested this time, so it will be more academic for me. But yes, outrage incoming as we see characters we love severely mishandled YET AGAIN.

The G.I. using a lightsaber to fly as though he were Thor helicoptering Mjolnir will just be the icing on the cake.
Yeah the helicopter lightsaber was bad enough in animated form, I'm imagining it looking utterly ludicrous in live action.

I was halfway through this and agreeing, going “yeah, I wish they were more like Marvel” until I got to the Marvel part.

I’ll disagree there. Marvel’s “representation quota” is just being comic accurate. Marvel has always been inclusive, diverse, and celebrated for not just being full of representation, but doing it WELL.
Gsx-page-one.jpg

Stan Lee always talked about making stories that reflected the real world around us. That heroes and stories emerged outside of just white Americana but were global, universal events. If anything, the MCU is not remotely as “woke” as the comics they’re based on yet. It took 18 movies before a black man led an MCU film. It took over 21 films for a woman to take the lead in a Marvel movie. Where the comics are openly showing gay heroes, the MCU dips their toes in it and makes sure they can cut those scenes for international audiences.

But mostly I think Marvel is NOT like Star Wars because they DON’T play it safe. We just got an Evil Dead movie wearing a Marvel movie’s skin last month. We just got a crazy guy going through childhood abuse trauma with the help of a hippo goddess. We’re seeing the best elements of the stories of Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction, Dan Slott, and others in recent years.

I WISH Star Wars was like that. I wish they had the courage to make Boba Fett a villain like Marvel did with Wanda. I wish they had the competence to do a story without putting in every single cameo they can squeeze in there like Moon Knight accomplished. I wish they could move beyond regurgitating the same plots, same conflicts, same fights, same planets, over and over. Even friggin’ Eternals tried to do that.

Star Wars diversity was never the problem. Rise of Skywalker did an article showing off “the most diverse cast” in Star Wars history… but most of them didn’t DO anything. They were mostly set dressing. What’s the point of diversity if the story does nothing with them?

Rogue One actually pulled it off.
The movie didn’t succeed because it was diverse. It succeeded because the story gave its cast something to DO.

rogue_one_cast1__medium.jpg

Mini-rant over.
Oh I agree...when it comes to the actual comics, Marvel has always done it's best to create stories and characters that reflect and expand the world around them in a creative and interesting way. I'll just respectfully disagree with you about the latest crop pf Marvel shows and movies. The "representation" is set dressing that works overtime with pixel-based flashpots of color and big noise to cover the stench of the agenda. I would be interested in watching something from them that wasn't a thinly disguised emasculation and deconstruction of all the characters that came before.

And as you point out, that wonderous aberration Rogue One's success stemmed from a well-told story with a terrific collection of characters that were interesting and propelled the story forward. No agenda, no quota to fill, just a good movie that stands alongside the classic films.

I so badly want to see the ship righted...to await something new from Star Wars with a fun anticipation instead of the unfortunate feeling of dread I have now. It's become like Lucy with the football in the old Charlie Brown comics. Kennedy keeps holding that SW-shaped football for the fans to kick with joy, only to jerk it away at the last moment and chortle with glee as the fans land flat on their back again. How many times will we keep coming back for more?

begun-the-meme-wars-have.jpg

Oh I agree...when it comes to the actual comics, Marvel has always done it's best to create stories and characters that reflect and expand the world around them in a creative and interesting way. I'll just respectfully disagree with you about the latest crop pf Marvel shows and movies. The "representation" is set dressing that works overtime with pixel-based flashpots of color and big noise to cover the stench of the agenda. I would be interested in watching something from them that wasn't a thinly disguised emasculation and deconstruction of all the characters that came before.

And as you point out, that wonderous aberration Rogue One's success stemmed from a well-told story with a terrific collection of characters that were interesting and propelled the story forward. No agenda, no quota to fill, just a good movie that stands alongside the classic films.

I so badly want to see the ship righted...to await something new from Star Wars with a fun anticipation instead of the unfortunate feeling of dread I have now. It's become like Lucy with the football in the old Charlie Brown comics. Kennedy keeps holding that SW-shaped football for the fans to kick with joy, only to jerk it away at the last moment and chortle with glee as the fans land flat on their back again. How many times will we keep coming back for more?
I still don’t get the Marvel shows and movies having this issue. Every diverse casted character is often from the comics themselves and isn’t set dressing at all.

But back to Star Wars. Diversity isn’t the issue. Diversity in Star Wars was always there. It was baked into the soul of the series from the start. As you said, it doesn’t matter who is in the movies or shows if the story is GOOD.

Who is complaining about Moff Gideon? Who is saying Darth Vader needs to ditch James Earl Jones? Who hated Lando? If the role is good, it wouldn’t matter. Holdo and Rose would have been bad characters if they were straight, white dudes too.

Man..they will show the first two episodes of this during celebration on Friday , imagine seeing this live with an audience around you :eek:

Back