Better Call Saul

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny watching pretentious millennial TV critics bending over backwards to fellate themselves over how "devastated" a stupid TV show made them. It's like they're jealous that they weren't around for Twin Peaks or The Sopranos so they so desperately NEED some kind of high-art television show they claim as their own.

Better Call Saul sucks. It gives new meaning to the words "boring" and "meandering." After a decade of people telling him his **** don't stink, Vince Gilligan believes his own hype. There's nothing "artsy" or "groundbreaking" about this show. It's just student-film level self-congratulatory wankery.

I gave this show a fair shot cause I love Bob Odenkirk and I liked his character on Breaking Bad. After a few seasons, it became evident to me that this was the TV equivalent of watching paint dry and I stopped watching it.

I caught the last two weeks' episodes though cause my parents were watching it. (Well, it was on the TV...they weren't really "watching" it cause both of them were staring at tablets the whole time.) It's just as bad as I remembered it.

Does anyone truly, honestly ENJOY watching this show, or do people just say they like it to sound cultured?
Been watching it since it premiered in 2015 and love the show as much as I love Breaking Bad, Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood and a bunch of others.

Funnily enough I found Twink Peaks and Sopranos got way more pretentious and "artsy" than Better Call Saul ever has, a lot of people watch it and enjoy it for the deep character studies of the main characters much like Sopranos and the like and because it's a fantastic prequel that adds to the world of Breaking Bad.

You should also know Vince Gilligan had barely anything to do with most of the show, he only came back for the final season and it has been fantastic so far, the show is definitely a slow burn and you may find it boring but that doesn't mean everyone else shares your opinion and is simply pretending to be an uptight snob with a master's film studies degree to fit in with a crowd.

I'm a simple guy, my favorite form of entertainment media is video games, I like superhero movies like the Spider-Man flicks and No Way Home, I like mindless action like DOOM, I like sci-fi and some action movies with idiotic plots, I also like Better Call Saul, different folks, different strokes.

As great as it is in its own right, yes it should be seen as a prequel and probably only viewed after BB. Otherwise it might seem weird watching Saul relegated to a background character.
I agree, I meant that it didn't retcon characters and stayed true to the world we know in Breaking Bad while adding more layers to it, the fact they built an entire storyline based on a throwaway line and completely changed the way I view certain things in Breaking Bad is out of this world.

As great as it is in its own right, yes it should be seen as a prequel and probably only viewed after BB. Otherwise it might seem weird watching Saul relegated to a background character.
I know people who love Better Call Saul and haven’t even seen BB. It’s a great character study that stands on its own.

Can’t believe there’s only one more episode left. 😔 I’m gonna have to track down another weekly show to watch. BCS was the only drama with new episodes that I actually looked forward to.

I liked Breaking Bad and thought it was a very entertaining television series, but I didn't think it was the second coming or anything.

One of my favorite things about the show was Odenkirk's character. I've been a fan of his since Ben Stiller Show/Mr. Show, so it's been crazy to see him become a household name after all those decades. (I liked "Nobody" too.)

I tried giving this a shot, and it just bored me to tears. I hung in there til
Spoiler Spoiler:
and then I just gave up. Sounds like I didn't miss much.

I've only checked back in cause my parents were watching the last few episodes and they represented everything that drove me away from watching the show.

I guess I was unfair in attributing this slow, slow, slow boring meandering nonsense to Gilligan. I guess his acolytes are responsible for the over-indulgence.

Well....hopefully the finale satisfies you guys that are fans of the show. I'm just looking forward to whatever Odenkirk does next. (God that was terrifying when he almost died last year. I don't think I've ever been so concerned for a complete stranger in my life!)

Resentment? I don't know about that.

I guess if I resented anything, it's that right from the start it wasn't the show that they pitched. It was supposed to be a "crazy lawyer takes a goofy case of the week" lawyer show, like a mix of "Night Court" and "LA Law." Even the title sequences seemed to be referencing the 80s, especially with the VHS effects.

Clearly that's not what we got. They wanted to go all in on the character drama. It didn't work for me. I was never that interested in Jimmy McGill. I wanted "it's Saul Goodman!" And there was precious little Saul over the course of the show that I watched.

Mostly I was just bored.

I liked Breaking Bad and thought it was a very entertaining television series, but I didn't think it was the second coming or anything.

One of my favorite things about the show was Odenkirk's character. I've been a fan of his since Ben Stiller Show/Mr. Show, so it's been crazy to see him become a household name after all those decades. (I liked "Nobody" too.)

I tried giving this a shot, and it just bored me to tears. I hung in there til
Spoiler Spoiler:
and then I just gave up. Sounds like I didn't miss much.
You missed a lot, season 4 picks up the pace and after Lalo's introduction season 5 and 6 quickly became the best of the show.
I've only checked back in cause my parents were watching the last few episodes and they represented everything that drove me away from watching the show.

I guess I was unfair in attributing this slow, slow, slow boring meandering nonsense to Gilligan. I guess his acolytes are responsible for the over-indulgence.

Well....hopefully the finale satisfies you guys that are fans of the show. I'm just looking forward to whatever Odenkirk does next. (God that was terrifying when he almost died last year. I don't think I've ever been so concerned for a complete stranger in my life!)
Your parents are watching the last 2 episodes correct? These episodes are acting as a kind of epilogue to show, in these episodes were basically following the boring life of Jimmy/Saul undercover and seeing him get progressively worse as a person due to several factors.

Me too, I'm worried about the finale because they said it's "something different" and I don't want something similar to the Sopranos or equally unsatisfying. (Yeah that was really horrifying you never realize how short life is until something so sudden like that happens, we're lucky Bob pulled through not many are so lucky.)

AnnualEllipticalCaecilian-size_restricted.gif

It was bittersweet but I thought it was a very fitting ending.
Spoiler Spoiler:

I mean I get it, but... eh.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I really liked "Nippy," though.

Last edited:
I mean I get it, but... eh.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I really liked "Nippy," though.
Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
It was a satisfying enough ending. The series as a whole was excellent. I think it wrapped up Saul’s character quite well and Kim’s even better. Nacho remains the best character arch and ending in the series for me though.

Spoiler Spoiler:
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:
Spoiler Spoiler:

Not the explosive ending I was expecting but oddly satisfying. Saul is gone and Jimmy reborn.

I was expecting him to pull some killer legal manoeuvre right till the end.

Back