Best place to sell college books?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just got finished taking a bunch of classes and now have a lot of books just sitting around. I'd like to sell them online because the buy back policy at my college is ridiculous. Anyone know of any sites that let you sell your books without taking a certain % out of what you make? Thanks

sell them back at the store you bought them from. I kept some of mine and recently tried to sell a few knowing I will never need them in the future, and three stores that take used books (Bookman's and 1/2 Priced Books and 2nd Hand Books) will not touch college text books. I guess they become obsolete. so get rid of them while you still can if you don't think you will use them.

Keep any math or science books if it's related to your work field, you will need those again at some point.

Back in the day I sold most of mine at Half.com. Even though there were fees, I still made out. Selling them back to the store will get you close to nothing.

Thanks. Yea even with fees, I'll still come out on top compared to going back to the school. Looks like amazon has a 15% fee on any book. I'll have to check out half

If its before the end of the semester or if the book is worth money then sell it back at the school. I know my school did 75% value or more during that time period.

If the semester is over, sell it at a book store that sells college books or Half.com. ATleast then you'll get about 50% value instead of like 20% if you sold it back to your school.

I usually buy and sell mine on Amazon because typically you get more money than what the bookstore is willing to pay you for them.

I noticed a lot of times, the schools wont buy them back cause the stupid publishers come out with new ones almost every year, so the ones I couldnt sell that I spent a lot of money on, I just kept. I tried getting rid of them on craigslist, no luck there.

If its before the end of the semester or if the book is worth money then sell it back at the school. I know my school did 75% value or more during that time period.

Thats what I did, sell them back right when the semester was over. usually by then the publisher dosen't have a new book up for order. But it all depends on the semester. Note: This was 6 years ago. Now times have chnaged, not sure what the college book stores are offering now.

No kidding. They sell a book new for $85, buy it back at the end of that semester for $35, then resell it used for $65.

~~Don't even get started on the fact that books get outdated ridiculously fast.

WOW, mine didn't even give that. Had a $125 finance book that the bookstore wanted to give me $15 for..........**** you stupid book store.

I've sold some extraneous books on Amazon (that's normally where I buy my used books at) and some at school with advertisements. Online is a bit easier, with a larger market, but you have to pay some fees.

Thanks for the tips guys. I would post signs throughout the school but, I think I might stick with online sites. As mentioned earlier, its a bigger market. Especially in the summer time when there aren't as many classes being offered. I sold my books back at the book store once but that was only because I wasn't familiar with these online book stores. What a mistake that was. I remember one book where they didn't offer anything because they said they still had a lot of those books but they said they were still willing to take it. Yea, I'm sure they would of gladly accepted it.

Well, I don't know how good the technology is at your school, but here we've got an online classifieds section of the website where people often post selling their books

Damn that would be pretty cool. Unfortunately we don't have that.

In Rochester, NY we have a lot of second hand college book stores and I always sell them back there! I get good money back and I usually buy the texts books I need for next quarter!

Back