Batman Forever 1/6th Scale Sonar & Robin **COMPLETED WITH PICS**

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarylS85

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Batman Forever fan and decided to have a go at making a custom 1/6th scale sonar suit Kilmer to go along with the xensation 1/6th scale Mr ? aka Riddler and Double Face aka Two Face. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do a Robin.

But I am happy with how this Sonar figure is coming along. first off I bought a sonar resin kit from China but I hated the head sculpt and decided to use the head sculpt from the Revell Batman Forever kit. It was a bit of a challenge to cut off both heads and try to line up to glue then fill the neck out to make it look as one piece. I tried my best but I'm sure it would have looked much better in a pros hands. I then primed it all in grey then masked off the eyes and mouth area and sprayed the whole figure in gun metal.

Kilmer 1.jpg

**Robin**

Update on Custom Robin 1/6th Scale, First up I started with a Billiken Batman 89 Kit, I thought I would be able to just stick on the Robin Parts I saved from the Revell kit as posted in the first post. But I quickly found out that wouldnt be the case... So I bought some DAS Air Drying Clay in terracotta colour so I could see where it was going on the white sculpted kit. I must admit this was the first time working with clay and through trail and error... I realised that keeping my fingers wet was the best way to work with the stuff to some out details, I also bought a cheap modellers tool kit on ebay, well it was a cake sculpting kit but was listed as a model sculpting tool kit and was cheap lol :) It really helped me out a lot! I found working with the one that looked like a dentist tooth scrapper worked best with me :) so after about 3 days on and off I slowly built up the batman kit to look like robin.

Heres a few pointers to say here incase anybody wants to try this out themselves... the billiken kit is totally off in size compared to the other figures I have in my batman forever collection... they are all 1/6th scale for sure as they all sit nicely against my other hot toys, Well except for Mr ? aka Riddler who I had to swap around the Foot pegs to the longer versions to bring him up to the same size as Batman and Double Face aka Two Face.

1: First off I cut all the parts of the billiken body parts that came in the kit then glued them together... arms... legs... pretty basic, this is when I noticed the size was well off!! So I cut the ankles and put added a bit off length to them with epoxy putty to support the cuts, I also trimmed off the knee caps and boots details as the knee caps where no longer in the right place anymore... Also the boots details needed to go, as they are nothing like the Robin boots. I then started to build the left leg up with clay to match the robin costume the best I could as well as the crotch and lower stomach muscles, I know the stomach muscles are not 100% accurate but this kit give me the best option to work from.
View attachment 200304

2: I then finished off the other leg details and fixed the belt from the revell kit and also placed the boot tops on as well with finishing off the legs with new knee caps and making the clay flush with the old boot tops that where on the billiken kit which where way up the leg originally. I then cut off the billiken keaton gloves of the body and glued the robin revell gloves on, they where not a good match in joining to the body so clay was used to hide all the gaps, Also the hands on the revell kit look terrible as Robin was crouched down throwing a batarang on that kit so the hand was twisted in a awkward pose, so decided to cut the keaton hands of the gloves and attach them to the robin revell gloves, these worked out great! to my surprise and give the whole look of the arms a better look :)
View attachment 200305

3: After all that I took a break lol, then came back to it the next day and spent the whole day and night building up the upper body... first the top of the chest where that big hole was on the billiken kit for batmans head and cape to drop into, there was no way I was filling the whole inner body with clay... so I filled the inner body with sponge then covered it with some clear plastic from a soda bottle to give it a bit off support, I glued in into place so the clay I build on top wouldnt move, I then added detailing to the upper arms to match the Robin Suit as the Billken kit had no resemblace to the Robin forever suit in that area... Lastly I added the detailing to the suit by cutting small rectangles to run down the centre of the chest and cut a plastic cocktail stick to give him those unforgiving BAT NIPPLES!! lol, It had to be accurate! lol and lastly glued the R symbol I managed to cut from the revell kit.
View attachment 200312

4: I then moved onto the Head and cape, The head from the revell kit had a really bad neck shape as the head on that kit was designed to be crouched down looking up at the sky, so I had to cut that neck off and build a new one up, so it would be in a correct pose to sit on the body and cape, filled in the gaps on the cape joining parts and that was it finished :)
View attachment 200325

5. Finished on my end, will send off to be professional painted. finished in grey primer.

Robin Primed 1.jpg

6. Finally after all this time he is finished, just recieved these photos from the painter today. Could not be happier with the paint work done by Darren Carnell.

received_10155279607209119.jpg

received_10155279607224119.jpg

received_10155279600019119.jpg

Re: Batman Forever Custom Val Kilmer Sonar Suit WITH PICTURES

Thank you attom44,drjedisith and batman forever, appreciate the comments, if yourself or anybody else can put me in touch with someone who makes custom hot toy bases it would be great thanks :)

Love it mate.. Great detail

could you stand that up with a regular HT figure? I wanted to buy one as well but I was afraid it was a tad smaller.

could you stand that up with a regular HT figure? I wanted to buy one as well but I was afraid it was a tad smaller.

Hi Amusedjester, I will certainly take new pics of this standing along with the Double Face & Mr J, when they arrive to me as waiting on Double Face to come into stock with seller before they post them both to me to save on postage.

But can assure you it is the perfect height next to my Batman & Robin 66 Hot Toys. Will get some pics of this resin model next to them over the next week for you :)

I would say though that the original head that comes on the resin kit isn't accurate to likeness or detail it is also noticeably smaller than the body. Hence why I cut it off and replaced it with the Revell Kit head. It is slightly bigger on the body but I could compensate that for the likeness compared to the head it came with. Only thing off with the Revell head is the ears are too big compared to photos of the movie. I suppose you could maybe cut them and reshape the ears also. But I didn't want to play about with it too much. But defo recommend the head change :)

That Looks awesome bud.!!

I had a crack at the revell kit a while back. But couldn't get the suit colour right. That looks perfect what you did. What brand of paint was the gun metal mate?

That Looks awesome bud.!!

I had a crack at the revell kit a while back. But couldn't get the suit colour right. That looks perfect what you did. What brand of paint was the gun metal mate?

Cheers Platty :) glad you like it. I asked the local car body repair shop to mix me up the paint and showed him the pic of Kilmer in the suit... The guy at the counter took me down to the painter who took a look at the pic and said that is Gun Metal you are after but will have to add 30-40ml of metalic blue to give it the slight blue tint to it, He mixed me up a 400ml can it only cost £8.95 + VAT, I had enough for 3-4 coats easy and the very little left I'm hoping it lasts for a coat or 2 for a custom cape I've yet to buy to spray the same colour, but I might go over the cape with a black at a distance to give it a slightly darker look to the suit. Still undecided atm.

Thanks for the reply, daryl. If it stands up fine with 66 batman, that sounds pretty good.

Cheers Platty :) glad you like it. I asked the local car body repair shop to mix me up the paint and showed him the pic of Kilmer in the suit... The guy at the counter took me down to the painter who took a look at the pic and said that is Gun Metal you are after but will have to add 30-40ml of metalic blue to give it the slight blue tint to it, He mixed me up a 400ml can it only cost £8.95 + VAT, I had enough for 3-4 coats easy and the very little left I'm hoping it lasts for a coat or 2 for a custom cape I've yet to buy to spray the same colour, but I might go over the cape with a black at a distance to give it a slightly darker look to the suit. Still undecided atm.
Awesome mate thanks for the info. The suit colour is perfect, they did a good job for you there at the garage!

Re: Batman Forever Sonar Suit & Robin WIP

**Robin**

Cut out what I could salvage from the Revell Robin Kit, I really don't know what way to approach this custom, I have no skills with body sculpting and was thinking of using a 1/6th Scale Body... But any help or ideas would really be appreciated. :)
5XoWMSj.jpg

How about the body armor for Robin ?

Unfortunately the body armour on the model couldn't be salvaged it is twisted and bent in a unusable pose on the Revell model, so getting the body armour is something I'm going to have to look into... I was thinking about the Batman 89 Biliken Vinyl kit for body armour as they are kind of similar. But its sourcing one at a resin able price to justify buying it just for the chest piece, I've since cut the top half of the arms out since taking the latest pic so really only need to source the body armour and make up another knee mould to match the other side then I can start thinking about attaching these to a 1/6th scale body or statue if I can find a suited one for Robin...

The Hot Toys 89 Keaton body would work nicely....

Back