Barbie

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These memes are already delightful. This is my fav.

339969571_1227555634541463_6778277803809539569_n.jpg

I think this will be PG-13 and am sure it will be fun. However, I would have tried to make it for younger audiences as well. The writing in Toy Story was so good that children and adults could enjoy it. There are jokes that go over kids' heads but it's still innocent enough not to be unsuitable for them. Obviously slightly older kids can still watch this, I just think the musical and visual aspects appeal to all ages, if they could have made that work

Well Barbie is colorful and silly. It looks just like that. Just be glad they didn’t make the version with amy Schumer. Yikes.
It would have happened, too, if she hadn't give up the role. I can't think what that would have turned out like!

They might all be trolling us but Gosling saying this is the best script he's ever read

I am intrigued but will not see it in theaters. I fully expect this to be like the horrible experience I had when seeing Mean Girls on Broadway...tons of idiot teenage kids just losing their mind at every joke or anything that directly referenced the movie.

It looks goofy enough that it'll be a day one download for me once it's streaming.

I use a VPN....it's fool-proof! HA HA HA HA

Wait. I'm sure it's not "fool-proof."

Don't tell on me.

After “Barbie,” Mattel Is Raiding Its Entire Toy Box

....In 2019, Greta Gerwig became the latest in a line of writers, directors, and producers to make a pilgrimage to a toy workshop in El Segundo, California. Touring the facility, the Mattel Design Center, has become a rite of passage for Hollywood types who are considering transforming one of the company’s products into a movie—a list that now includes such names as J. J. Abrams (Hot Wheels) and Vin Diesel (Rock ’Em Sock ’Em Robots). The building has hundreds of workspaces for artists, model-makers, and project managers, and it houses elaborate museum-style exhibitions that document the company’s history and core products. These displays can help a toy designer find inspiration; they can also offer a “brand immersion”—a crash course in a Mattel property slated for adaptation. When a V.I.P. visits, Richard Dickson, a tall, bespectacled man who is the company’s chief operating officer, plays the role of Willy Wonka. He’ll show off the sixty-five-year-old machines that are still used to affix fake hair to Barbies; he’ll invite you to inspect life-size, road-ready replicas of Hot Wheels cars. The center even boasts a giant rendering of Castle Grayskull, the fearsome ancestral home of He-Man. “The brand immersion is the everything moment,” Dickson told me. “I have met with some of the greatest artists, truly, in the world. . . . And, if you don’t walk out drinking the Kool-Aid, then it was a great playdate, but maybe we don’t continue playing.”

.....Mattel, he argued, had a children’s-entertainment catalogue “second only to Disney.” Just as Marvel had gone from ailing comic-book publisher to Hollywood behemoth, the toymaker could leverage its intellectual property at the multiplex. Kreiz told me, “My thesis was that we needed to transition from being a toy-manufacturing company, making items, to an I.P. company, managing franchises.”
....Mattel had licensed its flagship properties to an array of studios, and he was intent on reclaiming the rights to Barbie from Sony, where a satirical take on the doll had long been in the works, cycling through such stars as Anne Hathaway and Amy Schumer. A film that ridiculed Barbie, Kreiz believes, would have been disastrous for the brand. “Barbie is aspirational, inspirational—not something you want turned into a parody,” he said. Within two months of his appointment, control of Barbie had reverted to Mattel, and Kreiz had a meeting with Margot Robbie......

.....Robbie, who played the scandal-prone skater Tonya Harding in “I, Tonya,” is attracted to roles that moviegoers already have strong feelings about—positive or negative. She told me, “There are people who adore Barbie, people who hate Barbie—but the bottom line is everyone knows Barbie.” She wanted a film adaptation to confront those “sharp edges, ” but when she met with Kreiz she led with her desire to take the brand seriously. Two and a half hours later, they were in business together. Soon, Warner Bros. had expressed interest in financing the project.....Kreiz, meanwhile, hired a veteran of Miramax, Robbie Brenner, to head up the newly minted Mattel Films. Her first task: assemble a team of development executives to rummage through Mattel’s toy chest and identify I.P. that could be fodder for Hollywood studios. Mattel would help match properties with writers, actors, and directors; studios would provide all the funding. The brands, and audiences’ familiarity with them, were their own form of currency. Brenner told me, “In the world we’re living in, I.P. is king. Pre-awareness is so important.”

.... Meanwhile, Mattel has amassed a long slate of other projects. Daniel Kaluuya, for example, has agreed to produce a feature about Barney, the purple dinosaur. Thirteen more films have been publicly announced, including movies about He-Man and Polly Pocket; forty-five are in development. (Some of the projects have an ouroboros quality. Tom Hanks is supposed to star in “Major Matt Mason,” which will be based on an astronaut action figure that has been largely forgotten, except for the fact that it helped inspire Buzz Lightyear—one of the protagonists of Pixar’s “Toy Story” franchise.).... Lego had created a series of hit animated films, and—as Kreiz and other Mattel executives repeatedly noted to me—the company’s main rival, Hasbro, had turned a faded toy-robot line, Transformers, into a multibillion-dollar movie franchise.

....Nevertheless, the film’s slogan—“If you love Barbie, this movie is for you. If you hate Barbie, this movie is for you”—is indicative of the tightrope it has to walk. “Barbie” is somehow simultaneously a critique of corporate feminism, a love letter to a doll that has been a lightning rod for more than half a century, and a sendup of the company that actively participated in the adaptation. “It’s a tall order,” Robbie admitted. “The dangerous thing about making something for everyone is that you ultimately make it for no one.”....Gerwig’s Barbie Land is a post-feminist utopia, or perhaps a prelapsarian one. “You live in a place where there’s no pain, and nothing dies, and there’s no suffering, and you are not separate from your environment, and you have no shame. And then, all of a sudden, you have shame,” she said, laughing. “I mean, we know the story! It’s in some books people have heard of.”

.....The best way to incorporate this tragic arc into a joke-dense comedy, Gerwig decided, was to heighten the dissonance. “I wanted Margot and Ryan to play it as if they were in a drama on some level,” she told me. .....Mattel insists that its films aren’t designed to boost toy sales, but the corporate synergy is undeniable. Major Matt Mason action figures resurfaced at last year’s Comic-Con, and He-Man has returned to toy stores. After Kaluuya’s “Barney” was announced, Mattel—which had inherited the rights to the purple dinosaur in an acquisition but had never produced any related toys—relaunched the brand. At a recent investor presentation, plans were unveiled for a Barney “animated preschool series,” which would be “followed by film, music, apparel, and, of course, a new line of toys.”

After “Barbie,” Mattel Is Raiding Its Entire Toy Box

Custom. You will need a Phicen or similar body to do justice to the concept. Various heads will probably pop up soon.

Yep it seems a high(er) end licensed 1/6 Margo Robbie Barbie is not likely, still curious to see about any 3P figures and kits. I think Mattel’s dolls would provide some useful parts for kitbashes/customs too :lol

Back