Barad-dur Giclee $100 off 10 left

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gambit said:
oh, I am not alone

I was thinking the same actually but no writing :monkey3

BTW, I am not sure if I can spend 400 $ for a giclee, need to make a set-up at my house first to see where I can hang it

Nah, there's at least two of us. I more often than not prefer Alan Lee to John Howe - not that they aren't both AMAZING - but I usually prefer the "softer" style of Lee, especially if it will be hanging in my home.

Of course his giclee costs (retails) $100 more. :monkey1

WetaWork said:
This really is one of my favorite things to come out of sideshow. Where else are you going to find such a high quality piece of art signed by Howe, Jackson and Taylor. I have it proudly displayed in my Home Theater room. It truly amazes me that it took this long to sell out. Congrats to those that recently picked it up. You are going to love it!!!

:ogat :orthanc

I agree with you DGC. I bought mine almost 2 years ago now, close to when you bought yours I think. It is still one of my favorite items, and one I never will part with.

I also have Rivendell and the two of them together are really impressive.

:clap

I really, REALLY love John Howe's work. I've got many books just dedicated to his work, but I just can't afford it now. I'm sad now.

Bodie The Cursed said:
A new can of worms! I have always admired Gandalf over Gwahir..

I had all three and to me this was the one that looked most 'classy'. Mainly because it didn't have the cheesy film strip. That being said, the only one I have left is the Barad-dur. Which is probably the nicest of the three because of the darkness of the print contrasting the white/creme mat/border.

Fritz said:
Mainly because it didn't have the cheesy film strip.

Funny, my wife would agree with that - she actually prefers the Gandalf print as well. I always liked the film strip, esp on the Barad-dur print.

LOTRFan said:
I always liked the film strip, esp on the Barad-dur print.

I do as well. It suppose to have been cut from PJ's personal film stock.

While I enjoy Lee's work, I'm not a big fan of the soft pastel/water color tones of the Rivendell print. I prefer Howe's use of the dark / bold colors that are perfectly suited for depicting a Barad-dur environment.

Last edited:
Received mine today. Wow! I really like it and am so glad I purchased it. Very nice presentation. I do like the film strip as well.

Though now I must get either Gandalf on Gwahir over Helm's Deep or Rivendell to compliment it...

Last edited:
Got mine also, it is gorgeous. The colors are striking and the film strip panel lights up. #266. Very happy with it.

If you guys never made it to one of the LOTR Exhibitions, you missed seeing the original! It is only a little larger than the Sideshow prints, but you would be amazed how accurate the colors of the Sideshow reproductions are to the original! It is as close as you can get to owning the original! And trust me, the other two are just as nice. There was another Howe original in the Exhibition (Gandalf approaching Bag End) that would have been a nice match for the Lee piece without the film strip. I think it was even rumored that it was supposed to be made but got cut. :monkey2

Some pics when I originally received mine:

DSC00862.jpg

DSC00863.jpg

DSC00868.jpg

DSC00870.jpg

DSC00871.jpg

DSC00872.jpg

Very cool pics :D Guess only thing different between pics should be # and film strip. Mine is #212. Here is the film strip:

baraddurprint.jpg

This is my fav print from sideshow, couldn't really understand why it took so long for 500 pieces to sell out. Spiff, my films are just like yours! But mine's #447, far from your #212.

p10203361gu3.jpg

p10203261vo3.jpg

p10000381bb0.jpg

p10203271tn2.jpg

Saw the photo frame at a shop went back home to check the measurements of the cert. It fits just nicely so went back to buy it. I like the look of it, compared to those normal frames that comes with a wooden frame around it. I also got some 3M tapes so it looks as though the cert frame is floating on the wall and not held up by any hooks/lines.

I envy all you guys with that. I LOVE John Howe/Ted Nasmith/Alan Lee, all those Tolkien artist. Hope you guys enjoy them. Now give me a Ted Nasmith Giclee, and I might just have to sell enough blood to get one.

Howdo all. So it's been 15 years since the last post regards the LOTR art prints here. Wonder if you will get a ping in your mailbox that someone has replied? :)

Anyhow, do people still have their original purchases? What are they worth now? any plans on selling?

Found this on John Howe's website for anyone who still has the Barad-dur print:

I was very happy with the way this came out, considering how hard it is to obtain a decent print, even when you are perched like some vigilant harpy on the printer's shoulder. Considering this was a transworld bit of collaboration - the printers in the U.S., me here, the original in Wellington, and naught but files and photoshop scripts to tie it all together, it worked out extremely well (and I'm not just saying that to flog more prints).
I even came up with a few words about the picture, but Sideshow wasn't able to fit them all in, so here they are:

Mordor is more than just a blighted landscape, it is an extension of Sauron's gangrened and avaricious soul. Every element of the land - the Dark Tower, Mount Doom, the Black Gates, Cirith Ungol, Minas Morgul, must manifest in some way the architecture of darkness and evil. The Gorgoroth itself is more than a parched plain, it is as if a storm-wracked sea suddenly solidified into stone, pitted and decayed but honed razor-sharp over time by the very negation of life the Dark Lord represents. Barad-dur's very foundations are anchored in the folly of Sauron, his wrath embodied in battlement piled on battlement, his power the mortar that holds stone to stone to impossible heights. The air itself is poisoned by his breath, and the livid sky is torn by the cries of his servants, the ground shakes with the iron shod tread of his armies. The land itself is in his image.
Can you put all this in one illustration? Of course not. And besides, film directors are all the same, they want you to combine close-up in a wide shot with three different dramas all in one. The image started off fairly simply. "It would be great to capture the vertiginous impossible nature of Barad-dur, but then of course a shot at the Red Eye wouldn't hurt would it, and while the background is still damp, how about squeezing in mount Doom? Oh yes, and a Nazgul or two would be nice while you're at it. And don't forget, lots of smoke, didn't I mention that the Ring had just fallen into the crack of Doom?" Directors...

(John Howe)

Back