Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of time here is spent discussing one particular shot, but the latter half of the video covers several other workflows Weta figured out for the movie.

From a technical standpoint, this is nothing short of incredible. I wish the story were more interesting, but Weta has certainly nailed down the FX component. Their water sim (and apparently it's all one sim that can recreate a bunch of different behaviors) is unreal.

WETA effects are wetter!

Ah yes but what's this I see from the crow's nest.....

View attachment 622403

Wor-Gar the Way of ehh Wor—Gar.

The Way of Water is up!

Holy cow, this film ended up legging out at the projection I saw a couple weeks after release of around $2.2B. Now at $2,181,000,090 with three weeks to go.

It's not that great a movie but the world it creates and characters in it are definitely cool enough to get me invested to keep watching. It has to get better though. Like the stories and characters have to really hit me and make me care. Right now it's just sufficiently promising in that aspect.

It's not that great a movie but the world it creates and characters in it are definitely cool enough to get me invested to keep watching. It has to get better though.

Yes, it will be a huge ask to get all five in the all-time top 10. Yet somehow despite the divided opinions this one has again outperformed.

Cameron is a genius and an amazing storyteller.

It has to be said amid all the doom and gloom naysayers. I love both Avatar films, the second especially.

Russo bros be like

1676225776325.gif

How does a movie 13 years removed from the despised original with a zero sum pop-culture footprint arrive at the top 3 most successful movie of all time…..HOW!

I figured if 7 people on Collector Freaks deemed the sequel DOA that it was a guaranteed done deal lol
Has any director in history had two movies in the Top 3 Weekend Box Office at the same time??

1. Magic Mike's Last Dance
2. AWOW
3. Titanic

Has any director in history had two movies in the Top 3 Weekend Box Office at the same time??

1. Magic Mike's Last Dance
2. AWOW
3. Titanic
This is just a guess but you may have already named one. Soderbergh had Erin Brockovich and Traffic out around the same time didn’t he? Plus Spielberg with Jurassic Park and Schindlers List. Just massive guesses though lol.

This is just a guess but you may have already named one. Soderbergh had Erin Brockovich and Traffic out around the same time didn’t he? Plus Spielberg with Jurassic Park and Schindlers List. Just massive guesses though lol.
Erin Brockovich came out March 2000 and Traffic December 2000. No way was Erin Brockovich still in the Top 3 at Christmas, lol.

I was curious about JP and SL though so I just looked that one up, JP came out June 1993 and it looks like SL didn't get a wide release until January 1994 when JP was no longer in the Top 10 let alone Top 3.

Not complaining here, I was able to see T1 and T2 on the big screen thanks to re-releases.

T2 in 3D was incredible. The T-1000 rising out of the floor and the sword arm coming through the elevator door were so cool.

Last edited:
Surely at some point while CE3K was out, they re-released Jaws for a couple weeks... or when ESB released, they re-released Star Wars for a time? For a while there, Jaws and Star Wars seemed to always be re-released. Or during Raiders run, surely Jaws and/or Star Wars -- or both -- got a limited re-release?

Lucas will never be beat for releasing the most variants of a single movie (Star Wars) ever -- from VHS, Beta, Laser Disc, DVD, Blu-ray and all the various re-released upgrades and new packages.

Erin Brockovich came out March 2000 and Traffic December 2000. No way was Erin Brockovich still in the Top 3 at Christmas, lol.

I was curious about JP and SL though so I just looked that one up, JP came out June 1993 and it looks like SL didn't get a wide release until January 1994 when JP was no longer in the Top 10 let alone Top 3.
I wasn’t really serious but good box office mojo research anyway :)

Poltergeist and ET? You have to believe Spielberg actually directed Poltergeist to get that.
I still reckon Tobe Hooper really did direct (most of) that film. There’s enough supporting evidence, his other films, and people like the DP saying he did direct it. But that’s not to say Spielberg wasn’t standing right next to him and breathing down his neck every second of every day. I wish someone would public fund a documentary.

I still reckon Tobe Hooper really did direct (most of) that film. There’s enough supporting evidence, his other films, and people like the DP saying he did direct it. But that’s not to say Spielberg wasn’t standing right next to him and breathing down his neck every second of every day. I wish someone would public fund a documentary.

Yeah, I've seen other Tobe films... and going off that alone I'd say he didn't direct Poltergeist. Poltergeist has Spielberg's touch all over that film. And not just the dolly-in-pan-up shots or lens flares, but I mean everything from the acting style to the shot composition and choreography.

That's not to say Spielberg sat on set all day and night directing while Tobe brought him ice tea. But I believe Spielberg gave very thorough scene notes to Tobe and the DP and when it came time to edit, made sure his shots and style made the final assembly over anything else that may have been shot.

Back