Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer the way the GTG head attaches - it’s much easier than the regular socket type. That being said: Asmus could have used the same GTW head for both versions and maybe saved money along the lines.

I do really like both GTG/ GTW figures that Asmus has put out and I hope they can continue making knockout pieces.

gtwg110.jpg

gtwg210.jpg

gtwg310.jpg

gtwg410.jpg

gtwg510.jpg

gtwg610.jpg

gtwg710.jpg

gtwg810.jpg

gtwg910.jpg

gtwg1010.jpg

gtwg1110.jpg

Ok, I took an GtW HS, added hair and dye, and now I'm happy with it !
Phenomenal!!!
Great work @Pizza

My Gandalf the Gray showed up this past week and I spent some time assembling him yesterday.

Ran into a few problems unfortunately, nothing major but frustrating.

The holes in the base I received were not doing a very good job of holding up the posts for the gate or the mailbox. Eventually I got the posts to stay, but the mailbox will not. I will probably end up gluing it in. At some point also either during assembly or prior to me opening the box one of the hinges on the mailbox door broke off. It stays closed, but am hoping I can just get a replacement.

Two of " nails " on the door that hold up the sign snapped off while I was trying to get Gandalf position on the stand. I was able to glue those back on but again I am hoping I can get a spare/replacement from Asmus somehow.

All that happened with me being careful, but not careful enough I guess.

As far the eyes go, I tried using the adjustment tool for those but gave up after a minute for fear of damaging something. The pins on the eyes seem to have a flat side on them, while the tool I received does not. It's just an open circle at the end that should engage the pins for the eyes. I'll take another look later on to double check that, but at that point I just had to put everything down and walk away.

I also just don't think there is enough room on the diorama base for the posts/gate/mailbox and Gandalf. The hole for the stand they included should have been placed further back..it was the messing around with trying to get him positioned that caused the pins for the sign on the gate to snap off. I ended up just using a waist stand on him with the base for that under the diorama base.

I like the figure though, I'm just surprised at how incredibly delicate these things can be.

My Gandalf the Gray showed up this past week and I spent some time assembling him yesterday.

Ran into a few problems unfortunately, nothing major but frustrating.

The holes in the base I received were not doing a very good job of holding up the posts for the gate or the mailbox. Eventually I got the posts to stay, but the mailbox will not. I will probably end up gluing it in. At some point also either during assembly or prior to me opening the box one of the hinges on the mailbox door broke off. It stays closed, but am hoping I can just get a replacement.

Two of " nails " on the door that hold up the sign snapped off while I was trying to get Gandalf position on the stand. I was able to glue those back on but again I am hoping I can get a spare/replacement from Asmus somehow.

All that happened with me being careful, but not careful enough I guess.

As far the eyes go, I tried using the adjustment tool for those but gave up after a minute for fear of damaging something. The pins on the eyes seem to have a flat side on them, while the tool I received does not. It's just an open circle at the end that should engage the pins for the eyes. I'll take another look later on to double check that, but at that point I just had to put everything down and walk away.

I also just don't think there is enough room on the diorama base for the posts/gate/mailbox and Gandalf. The hole for the stand they included should have been placed further back..it was the messing around with trying to get him positioned that caused the pins for the sign on the gate to snap off. I ended up just using a waist stand on him with the base for that under the diorama base.

I like the figure though, I'm just surprised at how incredibly delicate these things can be.
Indeed. I figured out early on to have a repair kit handy that has grown with time. Some things like tiny attachment pins and tiny parts to rifles, or tiny stud buttons I just assume are going to break at some point, or fall off.

I haven't heard anyone NOT having problems with the base and fence/mailbox, mainly the holes don't work and everything falls over. It's stuff that can be dealt with, but doesn't anyone test on the production line?

Congrats on getting him tho - with all the cutbacks I'm still happy with the quality, costume and accessories.

Received my Gandalf 2.0 this week from a friend and took him out into the woods. It is a great figure imo. Could need a more steady body to stand on his own better but otherwise i like him!
Just need the new hat from Asmus... :)

View attachment 628776

Very atmospheric photos but this one looks like Gandalf is about to surprise Frodo with a left hook. :wink1:

Excellent photos. May I ask you what gear did you use?
Hey gaiden, I am also doing photography stuff as a second job, so i do have some equip to work with. I used a Sony A7III and a Tamron 35-150 lens. But i think you could find a cheaper cam and lense and get good results. Finding good place and look for the light is important.

Thanks guys, glad you enjoy some outdoor pics too. I know many want to see the figure on the shelf for the best "real" view but some outdoor pics could be cool from time to time I think :)

Hey gaiden, I am also doing photography stuff as a second job, so i do have some equip to work with. I used a Sony A7III and a Tamron 35-150 lens. But i think you could find a cheaper cam and lense and get good results. Finding good place and look for the light is important.

Thanks guys, glad you enjoy some outdoor pics too. I know many want to see the figure on the shelf for the best "real" view but some outdoor pics could be cool from time to time I think :)
Thanks! I have a Nikon Z6II. That Tamron must be very good, sharpness of these pics is insane :)

Back