Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awful take, if people are happy with the final product then good for them but this in no way lives up to the protoype whatsoever. It looks like a completely different figure. Nobody got what they saw in those promo pics.

Yes prototypes are prototypes and the final product is subject to changes and dips in quality, but not to this extent.

You can like something and still admit it has faults.

I must agree.

Although I still like the figure, the prototype to production downgrade is not in relation for this one.
Also, Asmus has to improve their quality management. The figure arrived with a lose arm and foot. I had to fix them by myself first.

Awful take, if people are happy with the final product then good for them but this in no way lives up to the protoype whatsoever. It looks like a completely different figure. Nobody got what they saw in those promo pics.

Yes prototypes are prototypes and the final product is subject to changes and dips in quality, but not to this extent.

You can like something and still admit it has faults.
Yeah… I’m confused by the amount of people who are satisfied with a product that doesn’t work. The hat literally does not fit properly. It perches on the figures head and sits at an absurd angle. This isn’t a small issue - but good on Asmus for fixing it.

Then the people who freaked out because some of us said “Hey, we’d like the fix for this figure without buying another figure.”? It’s such a bizarre display of sycophantic, apologetic behavior over a broken product -particularly when the company recognizes that yes, the product IS broken and requires a fix.

The toy needed fixing. They’re fixing it. The company made a misstep by initially only offering the replacement with a purchase - even then I think they were trying to do the right thing - deliver without obvious extra cost. But for me and many others who do not want a second LOTR figure, asking for another purchase option isn’t “whining”. And it’s a childish take for people to assert that it is. We paid a lot of money. We want what we paid for. That is a reasonable request.

Luckily Asmus agreed and is giving us an option. This Gandalf IS an excellent toy - minus a few fixable issues. The company sees this and is trying to fix. Let those of us who want what we paid for let our voices be heard. Those of you content receiving something that does not resemble what you ordered? There is literally no reason for you to be in this conversation.

Last edited:
Hahah chris.. every single one of your posts is pure hate towards the Gandalf figure and anyone who is satisfied with it. We get that you're not happy with it. I figured we'd stop hearing about it after you sold him..

Do you know what a prototype is? Have you heard of waiting until the production model before making a purchase? Of course the prototype is subject to change and certain details are lost in production. What rock are you guys living under?

I am not trying to convince you its perfect. I don't like how the eyes came out, at all. Am I going to sit here and try to convince everyone Asmus's Gandalf is a travesty? No. Thats ridiculous, much like your never-ending rant.
Waiting for a production model or in-hand reviews on an item that can sell out during pre-orders isn’t a reasonable option.

To be fair, I agree 100% with Landry/Batsheva on giving feedback. We wouldn't have the fixes they've done without letting them know.

My point is communication with them is a 2 way street, and the general attitude and maturity level in which people are demanding these companies do things is going to do more harm than good in the end. They had some production/QC mistakes, and they're trying to correct them (more than I can say for most other companies). Endlessly bashing them on those same mistakes over and over is not helping the cause IMO.

*Landry - What you just said about the hat distribution is the exact point I was trying to make with you earlier. Their first attempt was to distribute without ANY cost, as they assumed people would be pissed if they asked us to cover shipping. The entire time they said they we're still open to options of how to get them to customers. Once they realized some people would pay shipping/packaging they started shipping them as such. It sounds more like a giant misunderstanding, and people making assumptions on both sides, rather than them actually refusing to ship you your hat.

I almost didn't buy Gandalf because of all the nasty reviews on here. I actually cancelled my order and lost the deposit. Once I saw the in-hand videos I changed my mind and re-ordered. I honestly don't know how we can have such starkly contrasted experiences with the figure. Obviously that's my own personal experience and everyone has their own expectations, but I'm having a hard time understanding how people can say the figure is so far from the proto that it's unacceptable.

I understand the frustration with the hat issue for those that got the early batches, the eyes weren't done right, and some staffs didn't have a hole drilled for the pipe (and a few other nitpicks) but going off peoples reactions and terrible cell phone picture comparisons you'd think they produced a completely different figure and we'd all been scammed. With the figure in-hand I can say my experience was the exact opposite. I'm sorry to hear you guys feel so deceived by this figure, but blanket statements that the figure deserves all the hate and that it was reduced in quality beyond being acceptable is exaggerated and gives newcomers a very skewed view of what to expect.

I'm confused. I've asked Asmus to include the hat with my DMC Dante pre-order.
They said there is no space in the box, so I have to pay extra separate $27 shipping to US California.

Weren't they supposed to include it for 'future' pre-orders? How come it doesn't work with 'past' pre-orders?

They said there is no space in the box, so I have to pay extra separate $27 shipping to US California.

Weren't they supposed to include it for 'future' pre-orders? How come it doesn't work with 'past' pre-orders?

Maybe because there is no space in the box?

To be fair, I agree 100% with Landry/Batsheva on giving feedback. We wouldn't have the fixes they've done without letting them know.

My point is communication with them is a 2 way street, and the general attitude and maturity level in which people are demanding these companies do things is going to do more harm than good in the end. They had some production/QC mistakes, and they're trying to correct them (more than I can say for most other companies). Endlessly bashing them on those same mistakes over and over is not helping the cause IMO.

*Landry - What you just said about the hat distribution is the exact point I was trying to make with you earlier. Their first attempt was to distribute without ANY cost, as they assumed people would be pissed if they asked us to cover shipping. The entire time they said they we're still open to options of how to get them to customers. Once they realized some people would pay shipping/packaging they started shipping them as such. It sounds more like a giant misunderstanding, and people making assumptions on both sides, rather than them actually refusing to ship you your hat.

I almost didn't buy Gandalf because of all the nasty reviews on here. I actually cancelled my order and lost the deposit. Once I saw the in-hand videos I changed my mind and re-ordered. I honestly don't know how we can have such starkly contrasted experiences with the figure. Obviously that's my own personal experience and everyone has their own expectations, but I'm having a hard time understanding how people can say the figure is so far from the proto that it's unacceptable.

I understand the frustration with the hat issue for those that got the early batches, the eyes weren't done right, and some staffs didn't have a hole drilled for the pipe (and a few other nitpicks) but going off peoples reactions and terrible cell phone picture comparisons you'd think they produced a completely different figure and we'd all been scammed. With the figure in-hand I can say my experience was the exact opposite. I'm sorry to hear you guys feel so deceived by this figure, but blanket statements that the figure deserves all the hate and that it was reduced in quality beyond being acceptable is exaggerated and gives newcomers a very skewed view of what to expect.
Yeah, I've started to feel less trusting of cell phone picks. They make the figures look like they were produced in 2006. And you're 1000% right on the issue on HOW we approach these companies if we expect a productive dialog.

To be clear - I think the Asmus Gandalf is an absolutely amazing - minus a few issues. The only one of those issues that is a problem for me is the hat - and I'm a stickler on the hat issue. I carved out my old Toybiz Gandalf hat so it would fit the figure, and did the same way back in 1989 with the Toybiz Joker. So I admit this one is a sticking point for me. Even then, I was on the fence with keeping the Asmus Gandalf because it really is exceptional. Then when the new hat announcement came... I just wanted to be able to buy it.

The eyes might be an issue? But as mentioned previously I'm colorblind, so they look just fine to me. And I'm missing the pipe/staff hole, but that's not a big enough deal from me to worry about.

Honestly, anyone one the fence with this figure still should seriously consider buying. I never imagined I'd see a Gandalf figure this high of quality.

So they gonna make a room for the hat in all future pre-order boxes?
Doesn't that mean they gonna make the boxes bigger and include the extra shipping in all prices?

Maybe the outer box for the DMC figure is only a bit bigger than the package. Maybe there is no room within the DMC figure package.
I don't know. Both possible.
But if they say so, I don't think they are lying.

For me this is ridiculous reason.
If they go with this reason, it's not about the customers getting the revised Gandalf hat, but more into pushing customers to PO their new upcoming stuffs.
That or you just have to pay for the shipping cost of the hat.

They should include the hat with every upcoming products, as they promised, including the past preorders that is not released yet.

Maybe the outer box for the DMC figure is only a bit bigger than the package. Maybe there is no room within the DMC figure package.
I don't know. Both possible.
But if they say so, I don't think they are lying.
I'm not saying they are lying about the space in the box. What I'm curious about is 'are they gonna make a space in the box for the future pre-orders just for the hat? - If not, they gonna give you the same excuse (as mine) and charge extra shipping for 'some' orders with smaller boxes with no space?
What are they thinking? This doesn't make sense at all.
For me this is ridiculous reason.
If they go with this reason, it's not about the customers getting the revised Gandalf hat, but more into pushing customers to PO their new upcoming stuffs.
That or you just have to pay for the shipping cost of the hat.

They should include the hat with every upcoming products, as they promised, including the past preorders that is not released yet.
Exactly my point. They didn't think through before announcing their plan.

I'm not saying they are lying about the space in the box. What I'm curious about is 'are they gonna make a space in the box for the future pre-orders just for the hat? - If not, they gonna give you the same excuse (as mine) and charge extra shipping for 'some' orders with smaller boxes with no space?
What are they thinking? This doesn't make sense at all.

Exactly my point. They didn't think through before announcing their plan.

I can only imagine that they are still figuring out the solution.
From all their posts, I think they just want to let us know that they want to do it, but don't know how yet.

They stated that some figures close to release would not have the hat because it was already too far along in production. So it probably depends on where Dante is at this point.

But wait, wasn't one of the options a hat with ANY store purchase between. X and Y date? So what if I were to hypothetically buy Dante during that window?

YES!
it also has a magnet in it but it works this time!
(wind blowing hard outside where I am making pics difficult)
might need to be sanded a bit and painted...
a.jpg

b.jpg

aaa.jpg

Back