Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. They are a lot more simplistic than I would have imagined. Have never really looked this close at eyes.

I have one of those magnifying glasses with light for modelling work. Maybe that'd be enough to repaint the Asmus considering they have the non standard "googly" eyes. Could leave the iris (arguably the most difficult to paint), just paint over the grey with off white and do some red veins with a thin bush.

In theory totally viable. Any pics of Gandalf with "white eyes" to know if it is in fact worth it and doesn't look weird ??
Yeah I was surprised as well. For all the attention that went to the hair, it seems the eyes were glanced over somewhat.
I use one of those magnifying headsets as well for painting, and am planning on doing a full repaint of the eyes.

Dude named Josh Roop posted this on FB. He painted the white of the eyes white. Some other minor paint touchups to the head sculpt but man, what a difference painting the whites of the eyes makes.

View attachment 578294
Eyes look better there alright. I think that the eye balls sitting too deep in the sockets is more of an issue though. As when under different lighting, and at different angles, the eyes appear too dark and sunken.

Eyes look better there alright. I think that the eye balls sitting too deep in the sockets is more of an issue though. As when under different lighting, and at different angles, the eyes appear too dark and sunken.

It makes me wonder how much of the sunken eyes effect is actually attributable to the whites of the eyeballs being colored gray though!

Would somebody please post a "how to" on removing the eyes?
I want to improve them on my figure, but have never worked on this type
of eye set up before.

I think someone posted a while back that making the eyes closer to the skull was not so easy.

Interested in thoughts from any "surgeon" here who has taken the eyeballs out ?

Felt inspired to repose my Gandalf and take a few more pics.

And I tried once again to make the hat work on him, but even after stretching it out and dusting it up a bit, I'm still not liking it much. I think mostly because of that super thick brim.

20220522_101552 (2).jpg

20220522_101803 (2).jpg

20220522_101330 (2).jpg

20220522_104401 (2).jpg

20220522_102828 (2).jpg

Last edited:
As much as I like the InArt prototype I think I’m going to save some money and go with the Asmus Gandalf eventually. It still seems like a good figure that I can probably work with to make look better.

As much as I like the InArt prototype I think I’m going to save some money and go with the Asmus Gandalf eventually. It still seems like a good figure that I can probably work with to make look better.
As good as the InArt prototype headsculpt is, I still think the Asmus has the better likeness. Looking at the 2nd + 3rd shots of Dave James, that's clearly Gandalf.

And I tried once again to make the hat work on him, but even after stretching it out and dusting it up a bit, I'm still not liking it much. I think mostly because of that super thick brim.

View attachment 578448

View attachment 578449

View attachment 578450

View attachment 578451
Still the best Gandalf out there! Truly astounding work. The InArt has some stiff competition with this.
You sculpted new eyes, right? I'm still wondering if I should do that instead of repainting the movable ones.
Also, how did you futz his robe and get those folds in the front towards his feet? Anything special, water treatment, ...? Thanks in advance!

View attachment 578448

View attachment 578456

View attachment 578449

View attachment 578450

View attachment 578451
You're inspiring me to also make a Moria step display base too Dave.

Looks great, and not mega hard to make. Just need to find the time. Maybe 3D print some Orc skulls or something to scatter around too. (I saw a Youtube video where a guy did something similar with Thanos I believe).

View attachment 578448

View attachment 578456

View attachment 578449

View attachment 578450

View attachment 578451
Great work! Love it.
The pic with the hat looks good but maybe it the peak of the hat that’s throwing it off.

Still the best Gandalf out there! Truly astounding work. The InArt has some stiff competition with this.
You sculpted new eyes, right? I'm still wondering if I should do that instead of repainting the movable ones.
Also, how did you futz his robe and get those folds in the front towards his feet? Anything special, water treatment, ...? Thanks in advance!
Thanks! Yeah sculpted new eyes over the existing sunken in ones. And just a water treatment for the robes to make them less flat in front.

Thanks! Yeah sculpted new eyes over the existing sunken in ones. And just a water treatment for the robes to make them less flat in front.
So did that also help the eyes fit into the sockets better ? Well maybe not sockets, but eye "slits" as viewed from the outside.

You're inspiring me to also make a Moria step display base too Dave.

Looks great, and not mega hard to make. Just need to find the time. Maybe 3D print some Orc skulls or something to scatter around too. (I saw a Youtube video where a guy did something similar with Thanos I believe).
Yup I just used some cheap air drying clay for the base. I wasn't going for a perfectly accurate diorama, just something that kinda captured the spirit of the place, based on this shot:

14_k.jpg

So did that also help the eyes fit into the sockets better ? Well maybe not sockets, but eye "slits" as viewed from the outside.
Well the only thing still original are the lower eyelids. I first superglued the rolling eyeballs in back to hold them in place, then added some new eyes in front, and then some new upper eyelids or eye folds over that.

Well the only thing still original are the lower eyelids. I first superglued the rolling eyeballs in back to hold them in place, then added some new eyes in front, and then some new upper eyelids or eye folds over that.
Woah, seriously !!

Any chance you could give us an unflattering close up on the eyes and eyelids ? How did you match the paint for the eye lids and face ?

Back