Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried to get the hat right but I don't know. I still find it confounding what they did with it. What was the thought process?? Anyway...

20210906_073741.jpg
20210906_073942.jpg
20210906_074112.jpg
20210906_074548.jpg

I have had it for awhile. It looks pretty decent on the shelf but it was in large part a disappointment. The base is unusable. The staff and the pipe don't work as intended. The moving eyes are a failure and the sculpt doesn't look nearly as good as the proto. The hat is a total fail and I wanted to have him wearing it. The hair looks pretty decent but a little sparse in a couple areas and the mustache is very amateurish looking up close.

A $350 figure shouldn't have all these problems. But if you want a decent looking Gandalf this is it.
Thanks, I appreciate the honest assessment.

^^^
Agreed.
Take the round patch off, stuff the interior with some foil and cotton to shape it, and stretch the brim a bit and it looks just fine.

"I've stretched mine as much as I dare and fine can't sit nowhere near that low."

Did you wet it really good before stretching?
The fabric is quite tough and stretches a lot more when wet.

Any update on the sculpt only?
Curious as well.

By the way, in regards to all of the photos of Crown Gandalf, the eyes are key. Put them in some shadow and they look fantastic. Have light showing directly into them, and not so much. No denying that the hair and beard elevate this figure, when futzed correctly.

Thanks, I think so as well (less foo manchu).
It was really easy to do- more scary thinking about doing it than difficult.

Great shot, yy! Love the pose. Looks like you've stuck Ian McKellen in a giant display case! :wink1:

Great pic yy0925! :clap Congrats on getting him, he looks great.
Thank you guys! Tried to add his personality to the pose. Worked out quite nicely. Really great work from Asmus. Can't take my eyes off him!

Now show us Golum Asmus!

Finally got my Gandalf.
Really, best headsculpt in my entire collection...

View attachment 538034
Fantastic picture and pose!

I've also come to appreciate the variants that we've seen when it comes to the hair and beard. I do still prefer the darker gray more curly type of beard but I'm loving the look as seen above with the whiter, fluffier, cotton like look of the beard too. Same goes with the combed/slick backed look of the hair. Gandalf looks fantastic here.

Last edited:
Back