Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just received my GTG today. Here’s a pic of him right out of the box. No futzing. I really think it looks more amazing in person than some pictures can show it. I am glad I got one!

Noted issues:
The magnet inside the hat was glued upright on the inside/ facing the back side of the hat which made the hat sit sideways on his head.
The staff doesn’t have the hole for the pipe (unless I’m really not seeing it at all).
That said, the gate sits really well on the base but I haven’t added the mailbox yet.

Attachments

• A9E8D842-B771-43B6-B255-5EF675101C89.jpeg
    A9E8D842-B771-43B6-B255-5EF675101C89.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
@TheFiend is that stock?
Pretty much. I only styled the hair.

^^ Great photos! :clap
Thanks!
Just got mine today, and unfortunately seems I got a bad head. The moustache has no any hair and looks pretty poor when comparing with other photos here...View attachment 535991
I see what you're saying about the mustache but honestly once you styled the hair and beard I don't think many people will even notice.

Just received my GTG today. Here’s a pic of him right out of the box. No futzing. I really think it looks more amazing in person than some pictures can show it. I am glad I got one!

Noted issues:
The magnet inside the hat was glued upright on the inside/ facing the back side of the hat which made the hat sit sideways on his head.
The staff doesn’t have the hole for the pipe (unless I’m really not seeing it at all).
That said, the gate sits really well on the base but I haven’t added the mailbox yet.
He looks fantastic:clap and I continue to wait for mine from SSC; had to drown my grief by picking up figs from the ASMUS carnival ;)

He looks fantastic:clap and I continue to wait for mine from SSC; had to drown my grief by picking up figs from the ASMUS carnival ;)
Crown GTG is a fantastic piece. I think you will be very happy with it! I can’t wait for their crown Gandalf the white next.

that’s the way to do it. Hope they all arrive soon!

Hmmm… I‘ve been considering this figure for a while, but have only just had a read through recent comments. It seems that there are quite a few issues for what should be a premium figure. The hair seems to be hit and miss, the eyes, those plastic plants - and the fact the hat looks so bad is really disappointing. Makes me feel like I’d be taking a gamble ordering one.

Hmmm… I‘ve been considering this figure for a while, but have only just had a read through recent comments. It seems that there are quite a few issues for what should be a premium figure. The hair seems to be hit and miss, the eyes, those plastic plants - and the fact the hat looks so bad is really disappointing. Makes me feel like I’d be taking a gamble ordering one.
The majority of comments are pretty positive. The majority of pictures posted are awesome. If you have doubts on it this far in then by all means don’t get it.

Does anybody have both, this Crown version, and the first version?
How do the clothes compare between the two, is there any improvement?
Or is it just the head?

Does anybody have both, this Crown version, and the first version?
How do the clothes compare between the two, is there any improvement?
Or is it just the head?
I have both and i've noticed that even the accessories look more detailed (staffs are more detailed and the sword hilt, his bag too) The clothes have differences with finishes and the boots are a darker colour. I think Asmus said awhile back that they were using different material for the crown gandalf, if i am not mistaken.

I haven’t checked this thread much as I haven’t been able to open and display my Gandalf until my second curio cabinet shows up, which is god knows when with furniture these days.

Very surprised to see those replacement heads are still an issue. Really thought Asmus would have made good on those by now.

I think we’ll eventually get those replacement Gandalf heads; right after the Frodo replacement heads, the non-floppy replacement Nazgul bodies (still waiting on my 5, Asmus), the rest of the Build-An-Orc pieces, and whatever else they have promised to “replace”, either free of charge or otherwise (I realize the GTG head will cost $$).
I love LOTR, and I love Asmus’ line (I own all of their LOTR & HOBBIT releases), but I know better than to hold my breath waiting for them to fulfill those items. I’m likewise getting skeptical about the free Anduril, but I hope I’m wrong.

I have had it for awhile. It looks pretty decent on the shelf but it was in large part a disappointment. The base is unusable. The staff and the pipe don't work as intended. The moving eyes are a failure and the sculpt doesn't look nearly as good as the proto. The hat is a total fail and I wanted to have him wearing it. The hair looks pretty decent but a little sparse in a couple areas and the mustache is very amateurish looking up close.

A $350 figure shouldn't have all these problems. But if you want a decent looking Gandalf this is it.

^
Even with all those complaint, I still think it's an amazing figure. Under certain lighting conditions, Gandalf just looks so lifelike. The hair and beard is the best I've seen in an action figure.

Back