Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s how my Gandalf’s head looked out of the box-
81516CE0-2EB6-4FEB-ADF0-1CB63B62929F.jpeg

A right mess.
But a bit of stroking with a wet toothbrush later and I achieved the greasy, Moria-styled, straggly look I was aiming for
BC1BD02F-0A86-450C-ADF9-815636227261.jpeg

Honestly, the only thing I think that could be improved on the figure is the poorly executed hat and the overly sunken eyes. Light has to be hitting Gandalf quite horizontally so as not to fully cast the eyes in shadow.

The diorama is a great concept but the stand part could be better positioned and the whole thing a little less cramped. My letterbox fell at the slightest vibration and the handle snapped off so I glued that back on and then glued the while thing into its port which should have been more of a snap-in design.

Also, I don’t think I’ve seen the numerous spelling and grammatical errors on the inner box cover mentioned here.
Asmus, I’m sure many here would be happy to go over these in the future to correct any mistakes. It’s a very picky thing but diminishes the Crown Series’ status as the peak of 1:6 potential. Everything should be refined to the highest possible standard and a few typos really clash with the fervent dedication to attention-to-detail the line strives to achieve.
821C15C1-D106-4A07-AF80-57938548AE27.jpeg

I must also agree with the sentiment that basic phone-photography will never capture what you will see in person. I had mostly felt that the Crown Series was merely going to be essentially standard figures with a bit of extra hair but this really is a step above and I would recommend it to any figure collector. The movable eyes can be a brilliant addition but a sitting millimetre or two too deep is the difference between shocking realism and a disjointed mask-like appearance to the face. I would like Asmus to stick with this approach and totally nail it by the time we get Crown Saruman. That wizard needs to give some sinister stares.

To think that a decade ago I never would have considered collecting 1/6 and thought fabric clothing and rooted hair was ridiculous.
This. Is. The. Future!

Anyways, here he is positioned, at long last, with the rest of the Fellowship.
072FFBE6-3D69-4627-A96F-81441ECF6732.jpeg

67003032-CEDA-45F9-951F-5F770D22FF68.jpeg

My head and beard looked similar out of the box. Forced me go straight to some water which made it way better. May not have even done that if it had looked a bit better. Glad it came like that in hindsight to obtain the better styling.

A bit of water on the fingers (or toothbrush) does wonders for those who haven't tried it. You can't mess it up, it dies perfectly.

That headshot looks like a movie still! Best futz I’ve seen well done! Pleeeeeease asmus let those of us who bought your the first Gandalf and can’t afford another Gandalf be able to get this head soon!

That headshot looks like a movie still! Best futz I’ve seen well done! Pleeeeeease asmus let those of us who bought your the first Gandalf and can’t afford another Gandalf be able to get this head soon!
I pre-ordered this Gandalf as soon as it was up for PO but as I’m in Canada, I still haven’t received the invoice due to the Covid situation. I can relate to the anticipation!

My Gandalf arrvied in Germany since last week and has been in process by authority.

Surprisingly, I found out this morning that, according to tracking service, the shippment has been returned to sender.

The reason has not been specified.

Has anybody experienced similiar issue? What could have happened?

My Gandalf arrvied in Germany since last week and has been in process by authority.

Surprisingly, I found out this morning that, according to tracking service, the shippment has been returned to sender.

The reason has not been specified.

Has anybody experienced similiar issue? What could have happened?
Who did you order from ?

From Asmus directly.
OK I got mine from a Chinese seller. Maybe they didn't fill in the paperwork correctly ??

Could also be some incorrect message with the delivery status. I've seen some weird stuff on the tracking ap I use from time to time.

Have you tried Track17 website or Ap ? Particularly good for packages coming from Asia.

@Hoody999 thanks for the help mate.
Track17 also tells me the same thing.
I think something went wrong with the parcel...
I already contacted Asmus and hope they can sort this out for me...

Just got mine, I ordered it from bigbadtoystore.com I haven't cracked it open yet but did any of you receive a separate baggie outside of the shipping box with the pipe in it?
I found it at the bottom of the box.

Just got mine, I ordered it from bigbadtoystore.com I haven't cracked it open yet but did any of you receive a separate baggie outside of the shipping box with the pipe in it?
I found it at the bottom of the box.
In some early batches, we had sent pipes to our distributers for attached on the product which lacks the pipe inside. Thank you for your understanding.

Here’s how my Gandalf’s head looked out of the box-
View attachment 530624
A right mess.
But a bit of stroking with a wet toothbrush later and I achieved the greasy, Moria-styled, straggly look I was aiming for
View attachment 530625

Honestly, the only thing I think that could be improved on the figure is the poorly executed hat and the overly sunken eyes. Light has to be hitting Gandalf quite horizontally so as not to fully cast the eyes in shadow.

The diorama is a great concept but the stand part could be better positioned and the whole thing a little less cramped. My letterbox fell at the slightest vibration and the handle snapped off so I glued that back on and then glued the while thing into its port which should have been more of a snap-in design.

Also, I don’t think I’ve seen the numerous spelling and grammatical errors on the inner box cover mentioned here.
Asmus, I’m sure many here would be happy to go over these in the future to correct any mistakes. It’s a very picky thing but diminishes the Crown Series’ status as the peak of 1:6 potential. Everything should be refined to the highest possible standard and a few typos really clash with the fervent dedication to attention-to-detail the line strives to achieve.
View attachment 530626

I must also agree with the sentiment that basic phone-photography will never capture what you will see in person. I had mostly felt that the Crown Series was merely going to be essentially standard figures with a bit of extra hair but this really is a step above and I would recommend it to any figure collector. The movable eyes can be a brilliant addition but a sitting millimetre or two too deep is the difference between shocking realism and a disjointed mask-like appearance to the face. I would like Asmus to stick with this approach and totally nail it by the time we get Crown Saruman. That wizard needs to give some sinister stares.

To think that a decade ago I never would have considered collecting 1/6 and thought fabric clothing and rooted hair was ridiculous.
This. Is. The. Future!

Anyways, here he is positioned, at long last, with the rest of the Fellowship.
View attachment 530629
View attachment 530630
Those eyes look much better than any of the other pics, I wonder if they updated the pain applications? Could just be lightning though.

Anyone able to confirm?

Got my Gangalf yesterday. Overall I love him. In some way I met my expectations and in others it exceeded like the outfit. I'm not sure what I was expecting there but it turned out better than I felt it would. I still think the proto sculpt is a fair bit better, but I'm used to the that thought after seeing pics for months. I think the eyes are too sunken in - and oof that hat. Even after taking off the bit of fabric and the inner stuffing it's hard to get looking right. Love the paint on the head and hand, along with the nicely done gestures. And dat book! I didn't know it was that well done with printed word in it, etc.The hair is very fine. They used good material and it's easy to work with and looks realistic. The stand is great but those plants have fish tank written all over them. The outfit is nicely detailed and tailored and isn't overly stiff so it works great with a little water treatment.

Attachments

• 20210730_090403.jpg
    20210730_090403.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 20210730_090419.jpg
    20210730_090419.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 20210730_090449.jpg
    20210730_090449.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 20210730_090501.jpg
    20210730_090501.jpg