Asmus Toys: Legolas @ The Battle of Helm's Deep

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try heating up the neck with a hair blower and then pop the head back on.

I highly recommend that you heat up the neck and hands, before trying to remove them. You don't want to break a wrist pin when swapping out the hands.
Ok, thanks for the tip. I’ll give that a shot and report back. You think it should still work even with that little chip?

There's a couple of things you can do here.

The best option is FlyAndFight said about heating up things with pegs. You mentioned that you're new to this type of collecting and eventually there will come a time where you'll know how to "feel" when things are going in right, but sometimes even the most seasoned collectors need to heat up the plastic to make things connect/disconnect correctly.

Just be sure to not make anything hot, you just want to warm them up.

You can also try and use a pair a pliers or narrow scissors to properly align that connector piece in the body, and then carefully push the head down onto it and see if it stays in place. It doesn't look like that break is so bad that it shouldn't hold the peg but it's hard to tell in a picture.

You can also contact Sideshow customer service for a replacement. Say the head was loose and when you took it off to investigate, say you noticed the breakage. They'll most likely send you a replacement if you don't infer you might have caused it. They have good customer service, despite many of their other shortcomings.

Let us know how things work out.

There's a couple of things you can do here.

The best option is FlyAndFight said about heating up things with pegs. You mentioned that you're new to this type of collecting and eventually there will come a time where you'll know how to "feel" when things are going in right, but sometimes even the most seasoned collectors need to heat up the plastic to make things connect/disconnect correctly.

Just be sure to not make anything hot, you just want to warm them up.

You can also try and use a pair a pliers or narrow scissors to properly align that connector piece in the body, and then carefully push the head down onto it and see if it stays in place. It doesn't look like that break is so bad that it shouldn't hold the peg but it's hard to tell in a picture.

You can also contact Sideshow customer service for a replacement. Say the head was loose and when you took it off to investigate, say you noticed the breakage. They'll most likely send you a replacement if you don't infer you might have caused it. They have good customer service, despite many of their other shortcomings.

Let us know how things work out.
Thanks for the additional feedback! I heated the join and was able to slip it down into the socket. After letting it cool for a bit it doesn't just fall off. So that's good. I can pose it but it's very loose. If I lift up (not even pulling, just literally lifting the head up) it starts moving up like it's just going to come right off. So I still don't have much confidence in it but if this what I'm left with I suppose it's something I could live with. I'd just have to take extra care when posing him, I guess.

I am going to reach out to Sideshow though. Perhaps they would be willing to swap him for me like you said. Thank you again for all the help guys! I've got several more figures on the way and am super excited to get into 1/6 scale figure collecting! Now I'm just a little freaked out about the fragility of these things. :p I'll let you know how my Legolas saga turns out. Hope you all get yours safely and they look amazing!

The only thing I really hate about this figure is how exposed the wire in the hood is. Crazy hard to futz so the leaf pendant shows.

Finally got my Legolas today from Sideshow! I've been waiting for so long and was so excited to get this in hand. I'm a new collector and don't have many pieces yet. I got the diorama setup and was blown away! It's huge, weighty and beautiful! I put my Frodo up there and he looked so tiny. Haha! Then I pulled Legolas fresh from the box and put him on the stand with him. Looked good but I had to outfit him with his gear!

I gently popped off his head (just like I did for Frodo) to put his cloak on. Got that fitted and went to carefully put the head back on. I didn't want to damage him so I was careful. I've had experience with other socketed figures before so I didn't want to cause any issues. No go. Wouldn't socket. I took a closer look under a light and there seems to be a small crack in the "bowl/joint" it sockets into. Now I have a headless Legolas. Brand new. Super bummer.

Am I screwed? Any tips? I'm early into my collecting journey and this is a little discouraging. Thanks in advance for the help.
I’m not sure if that’s a crack in the socket joint or an intentional gap in the design which affords a bit of ‘give’ when popping the head on and off that joint to actually avoid any cracks.
I’d look on mine but really don’t want to disturb the pose I worked on.

Popping the head back on my Legolas took a tad more finesse than usual but if you can angle the socket piece as upright as possible first and then slowly press the neck ball joint into the hole while cupping the top of the head with your hand to apply controlled, directional pressure- it should go back in and you’ll feel that satisfying pop… unless there actually has been a break- in which case- sideshow will replace the part.

I’m not sure if that’s a crack in the socket joint or an intentional gap in the design which affords a bit of ‘give’ when popping the head on and off that joint to actually avoid any cracks.
I’d look on mine but really don’t want to disturb the pose I worked on.

Popping the head back on my Legolas took a tad more finesse than usual but if you can angle the socket piece as upright as possible first and then slowly press the neck ball joint into the hole while cupping the top of the head with your hand to apply controlled, directional pressure- it should go back in and you’ll feel that satisfying pop… unless there actually has been a break- in which case- sideshow will replace the part.
Yea, it might be helpful if others wouldn’t mind taking a look at the socket inside the neck for me. At first I thought it might be intended like you said. But the cut seemed too rough to me to be that way. But who knows.

Now that I've got the kids to bed I've had a little more time to look at this. It's definitely socketed into the ball joint now after the session with the blow dryer this afternoon. It's holding together. But it seems the piece in the neck is loose. Maybe this is just how these things are made and I'm new to this. Haha. I guess I could pose it and it would be ok and stay as long as no one messed with it. If i pull up the whole piece comes with it and moves around allowing you to really get a look at the socket and joint. I really have to shove the head down for it to look more natural. It can be a little wonky and floppy feeling when messing with it.

Here's a couple images and and video to show what I mean. Just curious if any one else's is behaving this way? Maybe this is just something I'm meant to expect from these sorts of figures? I do have a couple others and they don't exhibit this behavior. But they're also from different manufacturers.

Thanks again to everyone for your input!

Attachments

• IMG_4076.JPG
    IMG_4076.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4075.JPG
    IMG_4075.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 40
Now that I've got the kids to bed I've had a little more time to look at this. It's definitely socketed into the ball joint now after the session with the blow dryer this afternoon. It's holding together. But it seems the piece in the neck is loose. Maybe this is just how these things are made and I'm new to this. Haha. I guess I could pose it and it would be ok and stay as long as no one messed with it. If i pull up the whole piece comes with it and moves around allowing you to really get a look at the socket and joint. I really have to shove the head down for it to look more natural. It can be a little wonky and floppy feeling when messing with it.

Here's a couple images and and video to show what I mean. Just curious if any one else's is behaving this way? Maybe this is just something I'm meant to expect from these sorts of figures? I do have a couple others and they don't exhibit this behavior. But they're also from different manufacturers.

Thanks again to everyone for your input!

hi Poppapixiel,

The problem with your neck peg is that the socket is detached from the body ball joint.
The best way to reassemble it is to 1) remove the head off the neck peg 2) Plug the neck peg back to the body, you should hear a "POP" sound when it is in. Then it is solid to reattach the head

Last edited:
hi Poppapixiel,

The problem with your neck peg is that the socket is detached from the body ball joint.
The best way to reassemble it is to 1) remove the head off the neck peg 2) Use plug the neck peg back to the body, you should hear a "POP" sound when it is in. Then it is solid to reattach the head
YES! I understood what you meant and was immediately able to fix it! AH! I'm so happy! Asmus thank you so much for your help. Sorry for all my noob comments. I appreciate all of the posts and help here. I've been a lurker for a long time. If nothing else I'm glad to of had an excuse to make an account and start getting more active in the community. :D Thank you again! I'm so happy!

YES! I understood what you meant and was immediately able to fix it! AH! I'm so happy! Asmus thank you so much for your help. Sorry for all my noob comments. I appreciate all of the posts and help here. I've been a lurker for a long time. If nothing else I'm glad to of had an excuse to make an account and start getting more active in the community. :D Thank you again! I'm so happy!
any time! that's why are here

I figured after all of my drama I should at least post the pose I ended up with after messing around with the new figure tonight. Really happy with this figure and diorama. Can’t wait for Gandalf to arrive. Really hope I can add Gimli at some point. He’d look great with Legolas!
6F82B333-E21E-41CA-9C4C-DC34E7AE8CC3.jpeg

Thanks guys! Alright one more pose because I was worried about leaving the bow string drawn. Haha! Love this dude. Do you guys think we will get another Gimli release or will I have to find it second hand?
574F2723-F358-446F-BD2F-A730F7572E39.jpeg

Thanks guys! Alright one more pose because I was worried about leaving the bow string drawn. Haha! Love this dude. Do you guys think we will get another Gimli release or will I have to find it second hand?View attachment 556361
You can still find Gimli on Ebay from a few sellers from China and every now and then from US and Europe as well if you keep looking often.
Good Question if Asmus will release another batch of Gimli at all.
Originally they released 1500 in 2018 then 1 or 2 years later they released maybe about 100-200 or so but not sure since Asmus didnt say/comment/state it anywhere how many Figures they released from each Character.
( I would be quite interested in this to be honest, would be nice to know how many figures were made of each character by them).
But one thing for sure Gimli is by far the best one they made so far imo.

My only beef is it doesn't actually come with this left hand, just the right hand version of it.
51.7 kB
494×748

1642688947199.png

With the actual provided options, the only feasible option to hold the bow is the one with the looser grip that has the pointer finger extended (that doesn't look as good or work as well).

Other than that, I'm very happy with the figure. The likeness is a lot better in person.

My only beef is it doesn't actually come with this left hand, just the right hand version of it.
51.7 kB
494×748

View attachment 557188

With the actual provided options, the only feasible option to hold the bow is the one with the looser grip that has the pointer finger extended (that doesn't look as good or work as well).

Other than that, I'm very happy with the figure. The likeness is a lot better in person.
I’m glad I’m not nuts! I was looking for this hand as well when posing him with the bow! Odd to include it in the promo if it’s not included. Still loving this figure tho. I also agree on the likeness. Better from certain angles as well.

Back