Asmus Toys Evil Dead 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you haven’t canceled your order of the luxury set?
Actually not yet, didnt recive the invoce yet.
Im thinking if i keep the base and some complements to do a custom and sell the rest or just cancel it.
Yep, im an evil dead fanboy...

I'd like to know the opinions of those who have no interest in this (ie, neutral)-- Do you think the figure looks good? By all means quote me because I'd love to hear them.

I've shown some pics to non-collecting friends just to hear what they think and 9/10 people said it looks like a toy, whereas I've shown Asmus's Devil May Cry 5 Dante and they were blown away. I've also shown it to 1/6 collectors who have no idea what Evil Dead is and some think it's look decent.
--

Generally speaking, people who have no knowledge and/or interest in "1:6 figures and the 1:6 hobby" don't necessarily understand the details and nuances that 1:6 collectors know when it comes to design and quality (among other things) resulting in the observations you stated.

Some maybe familiar with the character, etc., but it's not always the case (i.e., some collectors who don't know what EVIL DEAD is) considering the EVIL DEAD dates back to 1981 and the EVIL DEAD 2 dates back to 1987. Obvious there are 1:6 collectors born way after the films who are not aware of the pop culture aspect/influence of it.

Because for those who know about the character as 1:6 collectors and what's considered (generally speaking) exceptional/good quality and what's not good quality . . . we are cognizant of details, etc., but not to the casual/general collector.

Anybody who doesn't agree with your views is labelled an "Asmus loyalist". This is exactly the same polarizing black & white thinking that's becoming so rampant everywhere today, and apparently it applies to the figure community as well: "anybody who doesn't agree with me must be the most extreme opposite". I've seen many strawman arguments in here as well, talking about what these "loyalists" must say or do to reinforce your own position/opinion, while nobody has actually shown any of that behavior.

And while this shouldn't have to be said in the first place, apparently it's necessary, so: no, I'm no "Asmus loyalist". I own three of their figures, all of which I had to or am planning to customize heavily to get to my liking, and I don't have anything on pre-order from them. I also think this figure has been an absolute disaster of a release, from bad production to bad behavior from Asmus in how they are dealing with it, and it has hurt my opinion of them quite a lot.
For me, personally, I don't label just anyone who has different opinion with me, an asmus loyalist.
If you noticed my post, those I labeled asmus loyalist are only very small numbers of members that popped up in this thread just to complaint about people who's trying to discuss the matter about this figure and hoping for asmus to respond to it, and to a member who chased me just for saying that asmus is shady and unethical.
Now, we all know and see what asmus did. Is it not shady and unethical? and I know for sure they have been doing that since years. So that's why my mission here is not only for asmus to fix the product itself but the way they do things. Their conduct.
And at least what we have been doing here got the result, asmus is fixing what they can fix. It's just a matter of time to see whether they fixed their attitude and conduct.

Other than those small number of members, I don't put that label, even to those with different opinion with mine. The loyalist are those who, no matter what, still defend asmus blindly as if they have done NOTHING wrong. They are the members who called me an asmus hater, no matter what I said, even though I clearly posted my appreciation to their gesture of fixing the problem, and always opening the door for them to have a decent discussion.

But as others have said, if I were Asmus, I'd probably stay clear of this thread as well by now, because it's become toxic to the point where they can't seem to do right anymore.
I have to disagree with you here. They stay clear of this thread because people here found out that they lied right in this very thread, and they don't want to admit it when they are confronted. If they want to do the right thing, they can just admit all the lies, give a real, honest apology, acknowledge their past mistakes, and try to be an honest company going forward.. that would be all. That's what "doing the right thing" is, and that is what they are not doing.. instead, they disappeared completely from this thread, but keep showing up in another threads.

--

Such devotion/loyalty to the brand by a few IMHO is equivalent to a cult religious following.

They attack any who criticize them. They defend it overzealously by coming off as being better and holier/righteous than thou.

As I stated previously. I used to be a devout loyal follower of a brand. I learned the hard way. I let it go. Never again. This is why I have an aversion to such misplaced devotion to a brand, a retailer, a collector/customizer. Especially when it's clearly obvious they've done wrong and attempt to disregard it (i.e., "shady").

@batsheva | Because of you I've used the term "shady" more within the past week than I did within the past couple of years.
Well said, Delta.
You know better because you used to be one.

And LOL, I don't know what other word fits that kind of behavior.. if you know better words, you can let me know!

As I said, let's just wait for the new revised batch, and we'll see how they fix some things. Again, I personally appreciate this step by asmus. I hope they will also fix the whole production and designing process, and definitely fixing their QC dept and customer service. :)

I'm thinking WB AT011 or JX S01 would work well.
I just don't get why they wouldn't just use a body similar to the JX S01 and forego the switch out arms and that way they can keep the scratches. Makes no sense. It sounds like they didn't put a lot of thought into this release, and if they did it was bizarre reasoning. This was an easy solution. Instead they had this backward thinking of using a body for the proto, then deciding they didn't like it for the character, made a new body but decided the scratches didn't look good on it and left them off. Oh, and throwing in ugly rubber arms for the torn shirt because the arms they engineered for the Ash body didn't look right with it. What. The. ****. 😆

I just don't get why they wouldn't just use a body similar to the JX S01 and forego the switch out arms and that way they can keep the scratches. Makes no sense. It sounds like they didn't put a lot of thought into this release, and if they did it was bizarre reasoning. This was an easy solution. Instead they had this backward thinking of using a body for the proto, then deciding they didn't like it for the character, made a new body but decided the scratches didn't look good on it and left them off. Oh, and throwing in ugly rubber arms for the torn shirt because the arms they engineered for the Ash body didn't look right with it. What. The. ****. 😆
--

For simplicity, they admitted to cutting corners and here we are.

--

For simplicity, they admitted to cutting corners and here we are.
Their explanation was not obvious and backward. They said they couldn't sculpt the wounds onto the new torso ( which I think is a rubber sleeve over a hard body) and they thought painting them would just be cutting corners so THAT'S why they left them off. What?! 😆 I don't think I've ever heard such a an illogical explanation in this hobby from a mainstream company in my life. If that's the case then just forego the stupid switch out arms and use that money to make a hard muscle body with the wounds. It's pretty absurd, dude. 😆

Their explanation was not obvious and backward. They said they couldn't sculpt the wounds onto the new torso ( which I think is a rubber sleeve over a hard body) and they thought painting them would just be cutting corners so THAT'S why they left them off. What?! 😆 I don't think I've ever heard such a an illogical explanation in this hobby from a mainstream company in my life. If that's the case then just forego the stupid switch out arms and use that money to make a hard muscle body with the wounds. It's pretty absurd, dude. 😆
I remember they also said that the scratches on the prototype in the promo shots are painted too. So yes, I am confused as well why they didn't paint the scratches in the new body.

The scratches is also a good point to be asked to asmus, does the new revised batch have those?

--

No argument from me.

Indeed, pretty absurd to many/most. Probably justified for a few/some.

For transparency . . .

Yes.

I know I come off like a broken record, but . . .

I believe in being persistent as much as possible when it's about something I give a damn about.

Others may disagree, etc. and fine. Me being persistent is not dependent on the approval or disagreement with others who believe differently.

The body they used is solid plastic, I thought it was gonna be a rubber sleeve too.

Had planned to just trim it down at the waist to get the trousers to fit better but it'll take a dremel to make that work now.

I'd like to know the opinions of those who have no interest in this (ie, neutral)-- Do you think the figure looks good? By all means quote me because I'd love to hear them.

I've shown some pics to non-collecting friends just to hear what they think and 9/10 people said it looks like a toy, whereas I've shown Asmus's Devil May Cry 5 Dante and they were blown away. I've also shown it to 1/6 collectors who have no idea what Evil Dead is and some think it's look decent.
I have no interest in this as I no longer collect 1:6 figures and never planned to buy it. That being said, I have collected 1:6 horror figures in the past, and my collection has always been 99.9% horror ranging from $20-$5,000 pieces. I have the DX P1 Ash which for its faults still to me is the best Ash out there. In my opinion, no, this figure and it's accessories do not look good. It honestly looks like a scaled up NECA (not a shot at NECA as I have tons of their figures). That being said, I have seen noobs on horror pages seeing this figure and thinking it looks great, but whether or not that means they are willing to spend $350 of their money on it is another story.

The body they used is solid plastic, I thought it was gonna be a rubber sleeve too.

Had planned to just trim it down at the waist to get the trousers to fit better but it'll take a dremel to make that work now.
Ah, ok. Well, that kinda makes it worse than. The pants are another thing that was easy to get right. It looks like the change in body really mucked a lot of things up, but they really should have foreseen this stuff.

I ordered from Sideshow, so I'm hoping if they made any other improvements, aside from the Henrietta bust, that I won't miss out. Mine isn't meant to ship for another month, so I'm looking forward to seeing some unboxing vids. My biggest concern at this point is honestly just Ash's eyes.

Back