Asmus Toys: Eowyn in Armor

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have an estimate how many rings are in that? I feel like you've had to keep track with how meticulous you've been through this.

Do you have an estimate how many rings are in that? I feel like you've had to keep track with how meticulous you've been through this.

I'll take an exact count when it's done. For now, I only did a rough estimate of the total ring count based on one square inch.
360 rings per square inch.
360 x 60 square inches = 21,600.

Jeez, how expensive is that stuff? I can't believe you'd put that much work into something and not have enough on-hand to finish the project. So if it sells before you complete the project, all that time spent doing tedious work is for nothing ?

Well keep up the good work Anhrapoid, I am enjoying it. I do not have Eowyn but your work and Neko's work in the LOTR section is pretty inspiring and I want to add more detail/weathering to my figures' costumes.

Anthrapoid, you us nothing. You came here and shared what you have created, which is awesome. You could be rich and still owe us nothing in regards to your source. Look forward to seeing your work.

Definitely, Eowyn looks good with some real chainmail...
I also shortened the legs, as Tank girl did, and repainted the hair. (just a very subbtle wash actually, to break the glossy synthetic aspect. It's not perfect but it's ok.)
:)

IMG_8123.JPG

IMG_8141.JPG

IMG_8142.JPG

IMG_8145.JPG

IMG_8166.JPG

IMG_8172.JPG

Wow that looks great Neko. So you used some sort of mesh or tulle?

Yes, I read this advice in the MOS thread. I bought one chainmail mesh purse on e-bay, and I was lucky enough to find one that had perfect proportions.

s-l1600 (8).jpg

Looks very nice, Neko. When I first decided to replace the crappy 'simulated' chainmail, I looked on eBay at those same mesh purses. Unfortunately, all the ones I found had rings that were a bit too large. I'm happy to see you found one with smaller rings for correct scale.

Maybe I can help inspire you to go ALL THE WAY in replacing/upgrading the whole costume, after I get my final pics posted. Even just making a new cloak made a huge improvement on my Eowyn, and then mysterious, unseen forces took over from there... (otherwise known as OCD)

As my chainmail shirt nears completion, I'm now cutting patterns to make new leather boots for her. One of the big problems with this figure is that her ankles aren't bendable, so she can only stand upright and flat-footed. With custom-made, soft leather boots, (and added feet inside them) I'll be able to pose her in a fighting stance with knees and ankles bent.
Anyway, keep up the great work!

Thanks !
Yes, it's metal. It's silver in fact. And since it's metal you can immerge it in some "blue water" to get the right amont of oxydation and match the oxydation of the chainmail of the movies. Do not forget to rince the chainmail with a lot of water once the oxydation is ok to stop the process or it will continue the next days and your work will be ruined.
Anthrapoid, I received MOS a few days ago, so I checked e-bay to find some chainmail. It was my first attempt to get some. I was super lucky to find this one, and it looked so good I ended doing a chainmail for Eowyn and not for the horse of MOS... Now, I still need some chainmail for MOS and for the upcoming Eomer but it seems the other mesh purses have to big rings...
And you're right I'm still not completely satisfied with her. The body proportions are still wrong, and I have to find a way to pose the hair better. You're right also about the small neck, but I have no solution to this problem... !
Concerning the boots, I heated them with a mini blowpipe in order to bend them. Can't wait to see your work and I guess I will get back at her also.

Anthrapoid, I received MOS a few days ago, so I checked e-bay to find some chainmail. It was my first attempt to get some. I was super lucky to find this one, and it looked so good I ended doing a chainmail for Eowyn and not for the horse of MOS... Now, I still need some chainmail for MOS and for the upcoming Eomer but it seems the other mesh purses have to big rings...
And you're right I'm still not completely satisfied with her. The body proportions are still wrong, and I have to find a way to pose the hair better. You're right also about the small neck, but I have no solution to this problem... !
Concerning the boots, I heated them with a mini blowpipe in order to bend them. Can't wait to see your work and I guess I will get back at her also.
Even though I have said before that my steel chain is accurate in size and shape, the REAL prop armor was a mixture of steel rows with bronze rows. I couldn't reproduce this because I could only find steel chain. The good news is you can only see it in VERY close-up production photos. That's why the chainmail looks steely in some shots, and sort of 'brassy' in other shots; it's both. If you look closely at the photo below, notice that the rings that arch upward look bronze, while the alternate rows look like dull grey steel. This type of mixed weave was common in the middle ages, because steel was so much more expensive than bronze; I'm really surprized that WETA did this, since it could never really be noticed on screen.
eowyn-takeheartmerry.jpg

That said, a lot of color variation can be added with thin paint washes to make an 'averaged' tone between the two metals.

Factoid: There were at least two full sets of armor made for Eowyn. One is used only in promotional photos. With that suit, the chainmail looks clean and shiny, and the leathers look like a deep, dark purple-brown color, freshly oiled and polished. (see below)
Eowyn-eowyn-2383520-1024-948.jpg

The other suit of armor was the screen-used version. (see below) That chainmail appears to be weathered, and the leathers look much lighter, not oiled, and very scratched and worn. This is the version I'm going for.
Screenshot_2018-07-14 (170) Eowyn meets the Witch King of Angmar - YouTube - Copy.jpg

Now that you have shortened the legs, I strongly urge you to also ADD some length to the upper arms; about 3/16 inch. I replaced the stock micro-hands with 'Red Sonja' hands I bought on ebay- much better in every respect, and the pegs work as-is.

About the pencil-neck......... The current ideas I'm considering include 1) inserting some type of hard, tapering hollow cylinder that stretches and fills-out the rubber neck a bit, 2) finding a different rubber neck (maybe from a male body) and surgically replace the entire neck, cutting it so it tucks under the costume neckline. Maybe option 2 is better, because then I can try to match the neck and head skin colors better at the same time.

Last edited:
Wow !!! And I thought I was watchful to detail ! I never saw that there was steel and brass on the chainmail ! You're absolutely right about the tiny hands, I looked for Red Sonja gloves on e-bay when I saw your picture but they are not findable anymore. About the body proportion you're right also, I think I will re-work on Eowyn when I have time. She deserves it.
Thanks !!

Wow !!! And I thought I was watchful to detail ! I never saw that there was steel and brass on the chainmail ! You're absolutely right about the tiny hands, I looked for Red Sonja gloves on e-bay when I saw your picture but they are not findable anymore. About the body proportion you're right also, I think I will re-work on Eowyn when I have time. She deserves it.
Thanks !!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Phicen-Hot...399266?hash=item3facd23e22:g:wdEAAOSwwIZZzqFg

They currently have 6 full sets available, 8 different hands included per set. ($22 plus ship)
You'll need to trim the extra 'leather' off at the wrist, (easy) and sand the embossed emblem off the back of each hand. (also easy.) The set is very nice for Eowyn. Plenty of options for the sword, the shield, relaxed, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks !! I saw them, but didn't realize it was this set. Cut off the extra leather is no problem, thank you for the link !

Back