Asmus Toys - Bard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great deal on Sideshow right now ... about $100 with free shipping!

I know the Hobbit movies aren't as beloved as the LOTR trilogy, but this is a really nice figure. Easily one of Asmus' best likenesses. Seriously thinking of picking up a second one at this price. Not sure what I would do with it, but that's a fantastic price.

Just jumped on it myself! I've been looking at getting him from BBTS for the reduced price, but now I'm glad I waited!

Great deal on Sideshow right now ... about $100 with free shipping!

I know the Hobbit movies aren't as beloved as the LOTR trilogy, but this is a really nice figure. Easily one of Asmus' best likenesses. Seriously thinking of picking up a second one at this price. Not sure what I would do with it, but that's a fantastic price.

Love the Hobbit movies. Always thought I'd get this Bard "sometime" but glad I checked the board AND Sideshow - SSC had "almost sold out" message. Just got my order in OMG.:panic: This is a great character and fig IMO!

Edit...and SSC has him waitlisted now...LOL I think I grabbed almost the last one.

Received him today, and he's currently posed dramatically leaping and reaching into his quiver (I'll try to post a pic tomorrow), though his bow is stored on his back and not in his hand because when I went to change out the left hand with a gripping one the wrist peg snapped! :( So now his hand is just held limply by his coat sleeve (which is fortunately long enough). Is there an easy way to replace it, or should I just glue it back together? (I'm very new to the sixth scale market: Bard is only my seventh figure, and my past six are all Asmus figures.) Any help would be very appreciated!

Received him today, and he's currently posed dramatically leaping and reaching into his quiver (I'll try to post a pic tomorrow), though his bow is stored on his back and not in his hand because when I went to change out the left hand with a gripping one the wrist peg snapped! :( So now his hand is just held limply by his coat sleeve (which is fortunately long enough). Is there an easy way to replace it, or should I just glue it back together? (I'm very new to the sixth scale market: Bard is only my seventh figure, and my past six are all Asmus figures.) Any help would be very appreciated!

Check out Michael Crawford's review on Bard! Think I remember reading Bard had this problem, and try emailing Asmus too. They may just send replacement parts for this known issue with this fig.

Check out Michael Crawford's review on Bard! Think I remember reading Bard had this problem, and try emailing Asmus too. They may just send replacement parts for this known issue with this fig.
I thought it was an issue with the forearms splitting (that if I remember correctly was fixed on the Sideshow version), not the wrist peg snapping. I could definitely be mistaken, however, so I'll still go check out the review again. Thanks!

I thought it was an issue with the forearms splitting (that if I remember correctly was fixed on the Sideshow version), not the wrist peg snapping. I could definitely be mistaken, however, so I'll still go check out the review again. Thanks!

That's true, but I seem to recall some *weirdness* about the pegs - but also ASMUS saying someplace that HT pegs would work. I am also into using hot water to warm stuff up before trying to switch out.

I love Bard, but it does seem re MC review his ankles are a bit weak. Going to try either strips of nylon or medical stretch tape, wrapped - LOL like support socks. Blown away by the fig tho - beautiful paint and costume.:love so happy I grabbed one at the last minute, way better than I expected.

That's true, but I seem to recall some *weirdness* about the pegs - but also ASMUS saying someplace that HT pegs would work. I am also into using hot water to warm stuff up before trying to switch out.

I love Bard, but it does seem re MC review his ankles are a bit weak. Going to try either strips of nylon or medical stretch tape, wrapped - LOL like support socks. Blown away by the fig tho - beautiful paint and costume.:love so happy I grabbed one at the last minute, way better than I expected.
Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall reading about being able to use HT pegs... was it in the Gandalf thread, maybe? Now I just have to find one of those. :lol I think I might glue the peg back together for a temporary fix, or maybe just try to wedge the gripping hand into his sleeve (the glove provides enough friction for the normal hand, but I don't know if the bow would give just that extra little bit of weight that would be too much for it). His ankles are a bit weak, but I noticed that my left one is tight, while the right is slightly loose (which works with the pose I have him in).

To end on a more positive note: I agree, this figure is fantastic! I have several other Asmus figures (Morgul Lord, Gothmog, Tauriel, Gandalf, Eowyn, Grishnakh, and now Bard), and Bard is easily in my top five, maybe top three (I haven't opened Grishnakh yet though). Gandalf is my number one for sure, but after him it's really hard to chose any one over the others. I was especially impressed with Bard's coat: the material is a perfect choice, and the optional quivers are a nice touch.

EDIT:
I just re-read the Michael Crawford review, and it seems he had the same issue as me (the wrist joint snapping), though he had to replace the entire forearm, and from what I saw of mine it looked like I could just swap out the wrist peg, and like I said earlier, I remember hearing that Sideshow's shipment would have updated forearms with removable pegs, but I can't seem to find the post/statement I'm thinking about. When I get a chance to I'll have to double-check (it was a bit of a bother to fit the gloved hand back into the sleeve, so I'm not excited to pull it back out just yet. :lol) if the peg can come out of the forearm.

Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall reading about being able to use HT pegs... was it in the Gandalf thread, maybe? Now I just have to find one of those. :lol I think I might glue the peg back together for a temporary fix, or maybe just try to wedge the gripping hand into his sleeve (the glove provides enough friction for the normal hand, but I don't know if the bow would give just that extra little bit of weight that would be too much for it). His ankles are a bit weak, but I noticed that my left one is tight, while the right is slightly loose (which works with the pose I have him in).

To end on a more positive note: I agree, this figure is fantastic! I have several other Asmus figures (Morgul Lord, Gothmog, Tauriel, Gandalf, Eowyn, Grishnakh, and now Bard), and Bard is easily in my top five, maybe top three (I haven't opened Grishnakh yet though). Gandalf is my number one for sure, but after him it's really hard to chose any one over the others. I was especially impressed with Bard's coat: the material is a perfect choice, and the optional quivers are a nice touch.

Noticed the coat material too! In pics thought it was too thick, like the fake fleece you see in *cheap* fake sheepskin slippers, and then in hand it's this perfect-to-scale nice quality faux suede and even the fleece lining is to-scale-. Am SO impressed, esp. when I instantly noticed the oversized buttons on a civvie outfit for a 1/6 Winter Soldier I was thinking about. And the arrows including the Black Arrow and the "dirt" on Bard's face. The eyes on mine are really well done, too.:clap

I am gonna source some spare pegs on E-bay or other, or rob an HT set:lol, and just try to be careful w. Bard. The smaller "jewelry" round-nose and needle nose pliers I have are useful (craft or bead store) and you can tape/pad the jaws - actually a lot of "jewelry" tools seem to be good when working with 1/6 figs and switching stuff out - like pulling a peg out.

I don't mind futzing a bit w. a great fig - heck, my HT Civil War Captain America is amazing but I still wanna take some time to see if I can gently loosen the too-tight wrist fabric of HIS costume, and just got some putty to help some weapons stay put that keep popping off some figs. Like someone posted, HT and other companies need to hire folks just to work w. the figures and test. But love Bard :cool:

I my opinion yes. I think it's one of their best likenesses plus you can probably find him for around $150. Depending on when he shipped you will want to be very careful switching hands because there was a peg issue. Mike has a pretty in depth review here https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-100915a.htm. I probably would have given it a 3 to 3.5 but that is my opinion.

I my opinion yes. I think it's one of their best likenesses plus you can probably find him for around $150. Depending on when he shipped you will want to be very careful switching hands because there was a peg issue. Mike has a pretty in depth review here https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-100915a.htm. I probably would have given it a 3 to 3.5 but that is my opinion.

I agree. I think it's their best sculpt. I had some wrist peg issues with mine and if you have any customizing skills, he could use a bit of weathering, but overall, I think he's one of their most successful figures.

It's available at BBTS for 146
Thanks for your opinion, I will check Mike's review

I agree. I think it's their best sculpt. I had some wrist peg issues with mine and if you have any customizing skills, he could use a bit of weathering, but overall, I think he's one of their most successful figures.

Okay , can I replace the wrist peg with hot toys one ?

I continue with some old stuff. Bard is done. I remade a new shirt from scratch with a more in scale fabric, painted the beard because it was not noticeable on mine, gave a heavy weathering, re tailored the coat, and of course haired it... Asmus made a good job with this one, it's a good base to work.
:)

No more pictures ? I can't post any pictures, and cannot see my ancient ones in other posts... :huh

Back