Asmus Thorin 1/6 Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though the Hobbit movies aren't my favorite of the series, this is my favorite figure that Asmus has put out. Fan-effing-tastic.

Interestingly I was never a fan of the Hobbit movies and randomly had a marathon viewing of all 3 extended editions with my wife two weeks ago and found them to be so good on a second viewing that my love of LOTR has been rekindled. I have now begun to collect the Asmus figures. Thorin is my intended first figure from the Hobbit line.

Interestingly I was never a fan of the Hobbit movies and randomly had a marathon viewing of all 3 extended editions with my wife two weeks ago and found them to be so good on a second viewing that my love of LOTR has been rekindled. I have now begun to collect the Asmus figures. Thorin is my intended first figure from the Hobbit line.

Same here, on first viewing I just enjoyed it but never really loved it, but I rewatched it this quarantine and I actually love it now that I hope Asmus does more from this line.

is there products that you use? I tried just adjusting it around but I can't seem to find a look like in the movie.

I just used some water and stroked any poofiness down with a finger. Maybe heat would help. There's probably other stuff like a clear light hair gel.

I never futzed too much as I like the wild look. One day I will have time and guts to try to deal with mohair to get the silkier look.

My fav Middle Earth character and one of ASMUS' best releases; love the Hobbit movies!

Interesting this thread popped back up. My kids and I have been rewatching the Hobbit movies so I busted out and reposed my Bilbo and Thorin. Thorin is a spectacular figure, I agree movies can't hold a candle to LOTR, but I love the designs of the dwarves and I would absolutely buy all of them if made. Hoping we get more. Atleast Dwalin and Balin. Well, would need Ori Nori and Dori too....And Oin and Gloin....okay all of them. I need all the dwarves Asmus....

I finally ordered Thorin and he arrived yesterday. This evening I worked on setting him up for display and I have to say that he has been the toughest figure to get set up properly. While the Orcirst sheath was a pain to set up, I had the most frustration with his hair. Oh my, that hair...

The plastic wrap protecting his head appeared to have been placed incorrectly. When I removed it, the hair poofed out as if he had been struck by lightning. The hair also did not have any drop of the thickening agent used by other Asmus LOTR figures to keep the hair in place. I did my best to flatten it out but it still doesn't look like the online pics of the figure.

The rubber material of the sheath has 3 buttons that are supposed to snap into 3 holes on the belt. I did my best to get them to stay buttoned but only was able to get one to stay in place, just as long as I don't even look at it. Was seriously tempted to just super-glue the thing together. if it comes undone again, I'll go that route.

Aside from the issues above, the figure is quite impressive and I'm glad to add him to the collection. The outfit is extremely well done. The head sculpt captures Richard Armitage's Thorin very well. The weapons are fantastic with metal blades and intricate detailing. His pipe and key are well done, as well.

In closing, the figure is fantastic but the mess with the hair really put a damper on my enjoyment in setting up and placing on display.

Thorin 1.jpg

I finally ordered Thorin and he arrived yesterday. This evening I worked on setting him up for display and I have to say that he has been the toughest figure to get set up properly. While the Orcirst sheath was a pain to set up, I had the most frustration with his hair. Oh my, that hair...

The plastic wrap protecting his head appeared to have been placed incorrectly. When I removed it, the hair poofed out as if he had been struck by lightning. The hair also did not have any drop of the thickening agent used by other Asmus LOTR figures to keep the hair in place. I did my best to flatten it out but it still doesn't look like the online pics of the figure.

The rubber material of the sheath has 3 buttons that are supposed to snap into 3 holes on the belt. I did my best to get them to stay buttoned but only was able to get one to stay in place, just as long as I don't even look at it. Was seriously tempted to just super-glue the thing together. if it comes undone again, I'll go that route.

Aside from the issues above, the figure is quite impressive and I'm glad to add him to the collection. The outfit is extremely well done. The head sculpt captures Richard Armitage's Thorin very well. The weapons are fantastic with metal blades and intricate detailing. His pipe and key are well done, as well.

In closing, the figure is fantastic but the mess with the hair really put a damper on my enjoyment in setting up and placing on display.

Sorry u had less fun with him - he looks great!

Suppose I had the same issues but was too *insanely happy* over the stellar job ASMUS did with my fav Middle Earth character:cool:. Possibly ASMUS didn't wanna gel the hair - maybe - coz folks would get a fig like Thranduil in and promptly wash all that doll wax? out. I know I did, and and some other collectors.

I just stroked Thorin's hair down on top with water. Stroking with a warmed screwdriver or butter knife might do the same - figure the hair is probably polyester or nylon, so some warmth should work. Mostly was happy he had a good wig - thought Thranduil was a BIT sparse. Thorin's hair seems to relax after some dampening. Great hair was such a Thorin *thing* personally was just happy Thorin and Gimli have lots of hair (and great sculpts). Used pointed tweezers for the scabbard belt, tho a lot of time I don't use it (er, I have more than one Thorin - like coat-less more casual display option like with pipe).

Beautiful display of Thorin and Bilbo!:clap

My Thorin?s hair looked fairly decent out of the box, but my wife who has been enjoying a marathon of the Middle Earth Extended Editions with me leapt at the chance to style Thorin?s hair so with her skills it went from good to screen accurate GREAT pretty quickly and I got to enjoy date night being setting up action figures with my wife which is a collector?s fantasy that I will never complain about.

Would you say that the belts and attachments (?) are too fragile? I saw this issue with Boromir and his leather strap for his dagger.

I did not have any issues with either...but I generally set them up, find a quick museum pose, and then enjoy them that way...not sure if my experience would have been different if I had played with it a bit more.

Had the same issue with the scabbard belt. Hate that kind of closure. I've wrestled with them for HOURS on other figures in the past. (Though I don't think there are any other Asmus figures that use that method.) So when I saw it on that belt, I didn't even bother fighting with it. I immediately got out the hot glue and just used a tiny dot to secure it.

Worked great. I figure, if I ever need to take it off, I can just peel it back apart without causing any damage.

Bummer about the hair, though. I got pretty lucky with mine.

Such a great figure.

Thanks for the updates, guys. I'll definitely give the warm water treatment a try. Definitely can't hurt.

Great idea on the spot of hot glue for the scabbard belt, Bucky. So far the one button appears to be holding. But if it ever comes undone, I'll definitely follow your lead.

By the way, don't get me wrong. The figure itself is fantastic. I just had the two issues (hair and belt) which dampened the setup excitement. Seeing it now on display, I'm definitely glad he's part of the collection.

Flipping amazing. Is that your own work, or another user's?

I am so tempted to have some of my figures re-haired.

Figure is mine. And Artist do it for me. his name Jovl Tang

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Back