Asmus Thorin 1/6 Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked the stitching on the furcoat and on the back, either it's not stitched entirely or it was made that way.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Is it correct to not be stitched at these 3 places (maybe for movement of the shoulders/arms) or not?

Last question, I am finding it difficult to insert the dwarf sword (Deathless) in its place.
Does it go all the way in?
Upon inserting it half way, it becomes more difficult to push it and at about 80%-90% percent I think it can't go any further.

I checked the stitching on the furcoat and on the back, either it's not stitched entirely or it was made that way.

View attachment 445590

View attachment 445591

View attachment 445593

Is it correct to not be stitched at these 3 places (maybe for movement of the shoulders/arms) or not?

Last question, I am finding it difficult to insert the dwarf sword (Deathless) in its place.
Does it go all the way in?
Upon inserting it half way, it becomes more difficult to push it and at about 80%-90% percent I think it can't go any further.

Hmm - I looked at one of my Thorins and it looks like while the fur was attached to the main part of the coat w. stitches, in back they folded the "fur" and trimmed and used fabric glue to shape the fur in back, so it would fold and lay flat. E.g. this is fine, as sometimes adding stitching to thick fabrics just causes a bulky seam or bump. So yes, in certain sections like over the shoulders and other places, there is no stitching.
The folding, trimming, and gluing is probably where those extra fibers came from. If your Thorin look like other various pictures, it's probably OK. Re your pics, to me that is what the back is supposed to look like, kind've w 2 folds of fur that were shaped and designed to lay flat against the back. (So Orcrist and the scabbard belt will lay nicely across the back).

One think ASMUS excels at, is 1/6 scale costuming. :)

Re the sword Deathless, yeah, on one of mine it's a tight fit. Hold the sheathe carefully - so you don't rip off belt. Warm up sheathe with blow dryer if you can.
Then wriggle the sword back and forth - it'll be tight - but with some warmth and persuasion the sword will go in, all the way. U can try gently pushing at the top of the sword, while holding the sheathe (like put Thorin down on a desk or someplace so you are not straining the straps, put a blow dryer on the sheathe for a bit, and push the sword in.)

Let us know how it goes! This stuff can be nerve-wracking for sure, and sometimes stuff does break, but most stuff can be fixed easily, and at times better than the original. ASMUS tho I think has done a good job with its costumes.

To receive a full figure new & unopened, especially licensed at that state is heartbreaking.
Even more when I 've been waiting for it many months after the mistake with the wrong figure being sent that happened.

Yes - really sorry that happened to you:(:(:(. I would remind the seller of that, too. Already one huge mistake so they should fix or send replacement as soon as possible, rush order:mad:. I'd be pretty upset! It's sad because this really is a great figure.:(

Hmm - I looked at one of my Thorins and it looks like while the fur was attached to the main part of the coat w. stitches, in back they folded the "fur" and trimmed and used fabric glue to shape the fur in back, so it would fold and lay flat. E.g. this is fine, as sometimes adding stitching to thick fabrics just causes a bulky seam or bump. So yes, in certain sections like over the shoulders and other places, there is no stitching.
The folding, trimming, and gluing is probably where those extra fibers came from. If your Thorin look like other various pictures, it's probably OK. Re your pics, to me that is what the back is supposed to look like, kind've w 2 folds of fur that were shaped and designed to lay flat against the back. (So Orcrist and the scabbard belt will lay nicely across the back).

One think ASMUS excels at, is 1/6 scale costuming. :)

Re the sword Deathless, yeah, on one of mine it's a tight fit. Hold the sheathe carefully - so you don't rip off belt. Warm up sheathe with blow dryer if you can.
Then wriggle the sword back and forth - it'll be tight - but with some warmth and persuasion the sword will go in, all the way. U can try gently pushing at the top of the sword, while holding the sheathe (like put Thorin down on a desk or someplace so you are not straining the straps, put a blow dryer on the sheathe for a bit, and push the sword in.)

Let us know how it goes! This stuff can be nerve-wracking for sure, and sometimes stuff does break, but most stuff can be fixed easily, and at times better than the original. ASMUS tho I think has done a good job with its costumes.

Yes - really sorry that happened to you:(:(:(. I would remind the seller of that, too. Already one huge mistake so they should fix or send replacement as soon as possible, rush order:mad:. I'd be pretty upset! It's sad because this really is a great figure.:(

I uploaded the new photos again.
Can you check the photos of his back and tell me if these 3 places should be glued or not?
Thnx.

I uploaded the new photos again.
Can you check the photos of his back and tell me if these 3 places should be glued or not?
Thnx.

No, not from looking mine over. Looks like fabric glue was used to form 2 pleats or "darts" to shape the fur in back. Leaving out stitching would keep the fabrics from pulling. Suspect the real movie coat didn't stitch the fur to the coat back either. Think u are fine there!

Besides the hands, Thorin should have dwarf sword Deathless, a strap for Orcrist, his pipe, Orcrist, scabbard, and the extra hands. I think the pipe was a pretty late addition as the fan community wanted it e.g. the AUJ song scene. I know I wanted it for this release, especially displaying Thorin without his cloak.
If this is a reputable retailer they should exchange or fix issue for you ASAP.

After reading Michael Crawford's review I found out that 2 more accessories are missing, a small instruction sheet but more importantly the key to Erebor.
Its a pity Asmus doesnt mention the key and the pipe on their website and we find out by accident.

As for the retailer, he suggested I contact Asmus, which I did.

I thought mine was missing, but I dug through the box and all the plastic and then got down on the floor with a flashlight and managed to find it. It's so small, so easy to lose.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

^ Great pic! :clap Thorin is such an awesome figure - Asmus are doing a cracking job with the Middle Earth lines. :rock

Yes, this figure is just A-M-A-Z-I-N-G ! :wink1: Congratulations Asmus for this remarkable work. :clap Now I will follow your next jobs with the greatest attention. :wink1:

Awesome pics!
But please, please, please, for the love of God, nobody quote that entire post!

Last edited:
Finally got both Thorin and Bilbo, both look so much better in person. I was especially anxious in getting Thorin, I found a great "crafter" on Etsy that created necklace size arkenstone pendants, reached to him and he created a smaller version, pretty close to movie accurate arkenstone IMO. Might be a tad too big, but I think combined it really completes the figure. Would have been good to get asmus to include one, but this is a good alternative. I'll link his store if any of you Hobbit freaks are interested (I think thats allowed)?...sorry for the crappy cell pics.

OutatimeProps (Etsy Store) - Sellers name is Patrick, really good communication. I would recommend contacting him if interested.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/OutatimeProps?ref=search_shop_redirect

Attachments

• 20190329_110535.jpg
    20190329_110535.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 217
  • 20190329_110516.jpg
    20190329_110516.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 20190329_142138.jpg
    20190329_142138.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 225
  • icm_fullxfull.194669811_11frvy50mg0g8occoo8w.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.194669811_11frvy50mg0g8occoo8w.jpg
    801.4 KB · Views: 218
Once you give the hair a little TLC, this figure is primo. One of Asmus' best and a truly lovely piece.

is there products that you use? I tried just adjusting it around but I can't seem to find a look like in the movie.

Back