Asmus New line? Lurtz 8 inch

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrankbaitJon

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just saw on BBTS that Asmus is coming up with an 8 inch line? They are showing Lurtz?

6654E8F7-ABB7-454B-BDAB-D48F64AAA91D.jpeg

1685A570-E1A3-4435-A968-238E972A72E8.jpeg

BE066C21-2115-4AAD-BA26-9A457DCC1A14.jpeg

Asmus said last night that they are working on the 1/6th Lurtz... but it did not sound promising to me. Sounds like they are still a long way from realizing any kind of prototype. All Asmus said is how hard it is to do.

The last time they said something was really hard to make was Gimli's beard, and that took 5 years to make.

Seems they must be doing seamless arms but I don't think it's necessary with this guy. Potentially file this into a similar category as the PERS eye system on Gandalf. I think considering the flesh tone and weathering possibilities you could get by reasonably well with arm joints showing. Especially when you consider potential damage to experimental seamless arms and this being the type of character that you would want freedom to pose at least somewhat dynamically.

Threezero has done a similar thing with their Demogorgon figure. Even in the promo pics the arms look unnatural when bent, the material wrinkles up and could be prone to damage. I went from probably buying that to probably passing.

I honestly don't think seamless arms are necessary for Lurtz. If you look at the texture on the costume, the skin is roughly textured and I think that would definitely translate better in hard plastic than rubber. Similar to the Hot Toys Drax figure.

Sure it would be nice if it could be done seamless so that the texture was there and it wouldn't fall to bits over time but let's be realistic, that won't happen.

Better spending the time on getting an amazing headsculpt (please don't use that 1/8th statue for it) and detailed armour. Lurtz.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I honestly don't think seamless arms are necessary for Lurtz. If you look at the texture on the costume, the skin is roughly textured and I think that would definitely translate better in hard plastic than rubber. Similar to the Hot Toys Drax figure.

Sure it would be nice if it could be done seamless so that the texture was there and it wouldn't fall to bits over time but let's be realistic, that won't happen.

Better spending the time on getting an amazing headsculpt (please don't use that 1/8th statue for it) and detailed armour. View attachment 513247

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The Hot Toys Drax looks absolutely awful imo. Exposed joints just take me out of the experience.

What 'experience' are you having with your figures?

And you are OK with molded hair -- that doesn't take you out of the experience -- but a cut-joint does?

How do you deal with wrist cut-joints if the character doesn't wear a watch, gloves or a gauntlet?

What 'experience' are you having with your figures?

And you are OK with molded hair -- that doesn't take you out of the experience -- but a cut-joint does?

How do you deal with wrist cut-joints if the character doesn't wear a watch, gloves or a gauntlet?

I want them to look as realistic as possible and thats what makes me enjoy them. Elbow joints, ab joints, knee joints can all be avoided. Rooted hair usually looks worse than sculpted hair, so yeah.

It's pretty much impossible to avoid wrist peg joints, so I can look by that, but pretty much every figure I own has them covered in some way anyway.

The only thing that made me buy Endor Leia was because she has that poncho to hide the elbow joints. Look at those Harley Quinn figures, exposed elbows, exposed knees, I just think it looks horrible.

I want them to look as realistic as possible and thats what makes me enjoy them. Elbow joints, ab joints, knee joints can all be avoided. Rooted hair usually looks worse than sculpted hair, so yeah.

It's pretty much impossible to avoid wrist peg joints, so I can look by that, but pretty much every figure I own has them covered in some way anyway.

The only thing that made me buy Endor Leia was because she has that poncho to hide the elbow joints. Look at those Harley Quinn figures, exposed elbows, exposed knees, I just think it looks horrible.

Granted it does not look real... but no 1/6th figure looks real. I mean, you are simply choosing which falsehoods to ignore. You accept wrist joints and plastic hair, but draw the line at elbows. OK. But others may be able to look past elbows too. Ever had your seamless elbows split yet? You will, and we'll see how much you like the cracked rubber as opposed to the cut joint.

Unless you plan to outstretch your Lurtz' arms in some kind of Rocky pose, then I think the cut joint at the elbow will be less annoying than you think. The shoulder is covered. The plastic hair you get will never be stringy in his face like it should -- that should bother you more.

I'm just saying, if Asmus is still complaining about making the seamless body then maybe a cut joint body will get us a Lurtz quicker.

Actually Harley and worldbox bodies look fine.

That's just like your opinion, man.

Granted it does not look real... but no 1/6th figure looks real. I mean, you are simply choosing which falsehoods to ignore. You accept wrist joints and plastic hair, but draw the line at elbows. OK. But others may be able to look past elbows too. Ever had your seamless elbows split yet? You will, and we'll see how much you like the cracked rubber as opposed to the cut joint.

Unless you plan to outstretch your Lurtz' arms in some kind of Rocky pose, then I think the cut joint at the elbow will be less annoying than you think. The shoulder is covered. The plastic hair you get will never be stringy in his face like it should -- that should bother you more.

I'm just saying, if Asmus is still complaining about making the seamless body then maybe a cut joint body will get us a Lurtz quicker.

"As realistic as possible". Some can be avoided, some can't, so I choose to ignore the ones that cant be.

I don't do dynamic poses anyway so not that worried about seamless elbows tearing.

I just don't like elbow joints, ab joints or knee joints. They look way worse and are far more noticable than a wrist peg to me.

If they do a seamless Lurtz, I'll buy it. If they do exposed joints, I'll pass. Either way I'll survive.

Well, whatever Asmus does with Lurtz, I hope its this year.

For me, its truly the last character I really want. There's some oddball choices that will never see the light of day that I'd buy -- like the Moria bugged-eyed Orc -- but with prices as they are I'm quite certain figures like that will be relegated to the 8 inch line.

You'll wait 5 years and you'll like it :lol.

It's a shame Star Ace is so crappy and does LOTR in an equally crappy scale or we could have a lot more figures.

That's just like your opinion, man.

:rotfl
Well. I'll tell you a secret... all comments here are somebody's opinion. And you may disagree about Gandalf, or bodies or whatever.

My point is that there is a way of doing better looking bodies with joints. Any 1/6 body is not realistic, as muscles will look different depending on a pose. The most realistic are statues (not always, of course, but depending on the skills of the artist).

I am fine with bodies that are movable and have joints. Or some bodies with a partial rubber cover. Full rubber bodies are still not perfect (except custom ones for 1000 usd).

Back