Asmus - Gandalf the White - Crown Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just opened mine. No doubt about it, it’s their best set yet. There have been a couple remarks here and on FB that are a little negative. I honestly don’t know how you can’t like this set. The paint is great. The sculpt to me is spot on. The multi layered outfit looks great. Shadowfax is wonderful. All at a great price. People pay customizers 350 bucks or more just to root hair and this is rooted wonderfully. The only problem is that I know they can do an Aragorn this good and we haven’t gotten yet.

Just opened mine. No doubt about it, it’s their best set yet. There have been a couple remarks here and on FB that are a little negative. I honestly don’t know how you can’t like this set. The paint is great. The sculpt to me is spot on. The multi layered outfit looks great. Shadowfax is wonderful. All at a great price. People pay customizers 350 bucks or more just to root hair and this is rooted wonderfully. The only problem is that I know they can do an Aragorn this good and we haven’t gotten yet.

This is a conundrum for me. Asmus can obviouisly do great work like this, Gimli, Thorin and Elrond but there's a risk they might not be able to beat InArt's less than perfect Aragorn in future.

InArt's release is gonna be north of $500 if their GtG is anything to go by but it could be years before we see a better 1/6 representation. Hopefully InArt can improve their sculpt before release but if Asmus can fast track an Aragorn on par with their GtW then I'm in. A few months ago I didn't believe it was possible but here we are.

Now do not compare GtG with this GtW release. The white has a lot more going on for it than the grey, and the stock for the grey will remain - it is way worse in terms of HS - the eyes and the bad skin color/paint app/complexion along with the price to go with it just bring it down. So to me, there is no wonder it will remain like that. I like GtG the most and see it as the definitive Gandalf, however, if I did not have him and saw the GtW, then comparing the prices for both, I would have PO GtW and be done with it. Now, I can only hope for an updated HS for him so I can replace the pale, demonic eye looking sculpt.

So, for those who have received GTW from Asmus, did you get a shipping notification from them?
I just received a text from FedEx that I have a package coming tomorrow that weighs 14.6 lbs; is that the weight of this set?
If so, I’m astonished, as I ordered Tuesday morning.

So, for those who have received GTW from Asmus, did you get a shipping notification from them?
I just received a text from FedEx that I have a package coming tomorrow that weighs 14.6 lbs; is that the weight of this set?
If so, I’m astonished, as I ordered Tuesday morning.
Yes, I got a shipping notification. And I think it got here (to SoCal) in 3 days.

I know the shipping charge was steep, but given how fast the figures have been delivered, I'd say that makes the sting go down a bit. At least it wasn't expensive shipping and then still 30+ days for it to arrive.

Last edited:
Arrived to Texas today. Great figure really enjoy it. Definitely recommend steaming the outer robe to get wrinkles out. Also, I know Narya wasn’t included because the licensor but I ended up printing one, I think it looks great! Maybe one day we’ll get diecast Narya

Attachments

• 24BD8F3E-C2AC-4DC1-8F1F-8E3816FDECAF.jpeg
    24BD8F3E-C2AC-4DC1-8F1F-8E3816FDECAF.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • CF713CA5-E209-4D9F-9D89-0A06CE3D23A8.jpeg
    CF713CA5-E209-4D9F-9D89-0A06CE3D23A8.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Arrived to Texas today. Great figure really enjoy it. Definitely recommend steaming the outer robe to get wrinkles out. Also, I know Narya wasn’t included because the licensor but I ended up printing one, I think it looks great! Maybe one day we’ll get diecast Narya

Nice!

(If you felt like printing some more of those, I'm sure a few of us would be happy to purchase a couple ...)

Thanks yeah I can see about printing up a build plate! Trying to find a good pipe file to maybe make a small accessory pack! Just note these are fairly fragile so if anyone gets them just be very careful placing and removing.

Awesome! Congrats on getting the set. Figure looks great! Nice work on the ring too. :clap

I’d agree it’s Asmus best figure. It’s not perfect (what figure is?) but there’s no glaring issue and it’s hard not to get excited about owning it when you see him on Shadowfax ready to fight the witch king. There’s nothing I immediately want to change except that I’ve ironed the lapel of the outer robe since taking these photos, it worked perfectly by the way.
Wow! On Shadowfax he looks amazing - ok NOW I’m getting PO envy. Already got InArt Gandalf on PO, not sure I have the space for this too 😭

Was preorder even possible for this initial batch? Or if there was, did those preorders instantly sell out? Because usually preorders are used (? I assume) to gauge how many figures to make, etc. This seems so weird how this was done. Sorry I’m late to the party here. Can someone kindly explain it to me?

This sucks because for several months now, since around August, I’ve been looking for a figure to buy for Christmas (I literally wrap the box and put it under the tree, lol) and this would have been ideal! But because after watching this thread over the last year I wasn’t seeing the standard preorder for it as we headed into the fall, I assumed it wouldn’t release until at least Q1 2023. I snoozed on it for like 1-2 weeks and this happens.

Damn! No bueno Asmus! I mean at the end of the day it’s just a 1/6 figure, so this is about as ‘first world problem‘ as it gets. But seriously from a PR vantage with customers, it’s poor form! This is not standard operating procedure for releasing a figure, for Asmus anyway.

Last edited:
Was preorder even possible for this initial batch? Or if there was, did those preorders instantly sell out? Because usually preorders are used (? I assume) to gauge how many figures to make, etc. This seems so weird how this was done. Sorry I’m late to the party here. Can someone kindly explain it to me?
No preorders.
Due to all the negativity they received with some of their releases, they chose to change their procedure.
Now, all new releases will be offered for sale once they are ready to ship; no preorders.
This is not standard operating procedure for releasing a figure, for Asmus anyway.
It is now.

Got mine today, Asmus really are fast. That's two orders now from them that have reached me in the UK within two days of shipping.

Absolutely love the set and would gladly cancel my Inart GTG if Asmus are releasing a separate GTG head with this sculpt.

Got mine today, Asmus really are fast. That's two orders now from them that have reached me in the UK within two days of shipping.

Absolutely love the set and would gladly cancel my Inart GTG if Asmus are releasing a separate GTG head with this sculpt.
When did you order yours? I'm also in the UK and ordered mine first thing on Monday morning but not had any shipping notice yet...

Back