Asmus - Gandalf the White - Crown Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel bad for Asmus. After this fantastic release it should be cause for celebration for them. Only to yet again have to deal with collectors anger. Damned if they do, damned if they don’t. If i’ve learned anything from being in this hobby for so long it’s, you snooze you loose. After selling out the first time it should have been a wake up call to some.

Just to add. That they have Crown GTGs left over was probably a sign to them that they produced too many. Someone in that business like all business had to decide how many product to make without making too many and being left with inventory. They probably played it safe knowing their other Crown release hasn’t sold out yet.

Last edited:
Wow, I regularly look in on this every week or two, recently had a lot of real life demands so I didn’t check, and it’s sold out already? Haha, damn. Maybe there’ll be another batch eventually made available at Asmus or to Sideshow. Or it might push me to Queen Studios if they end up making one.

Last edited:
I feel bad for Asmus. After this fantastic release it should be cause for celebration for them. Only to yet again have to deal with collectors anger. Damned if they do, damned if they don’t. If i’ve learned anything from being in this hobby for so long it’s, you snooze you loose. After selling out the first time it should have been a wake up call to some.

Just to add. That they have Crown GTGs left over was probably a sign to them that they produced too many. Someone in that business like all business had to decide how many product to make without making too many and being left with inventory. They probably played it safe knowing their other Crown release hasn’t sold out yet.
I don't know if it's anger. In my case I have not been angry with them because it's my choice not to buy it at that price due to the import tariffs and the additional theft that Fedex does, but I think it is necessary to let Asmus know that many loyal buyers in Europe do not we can afford those prices due to their current policies. I like Asmus products, I would like to buy them as I have done so far with all their Middle Earth figures except Tauriel. I even have several copies of some of them because I make dioramas with them. I have stopped buying the exclusive versions from their website and have settled for the versions from retailers in Hong Kong, which are currently almost the only option to buy at the same price as the rest of you. It is not the same to buy the figure at $400 than at $600, at least for me. If later on a seller offers it at a more reasonable price, I will surely buy it, if not, nothing will happen. I don't think letting Asmus know how their policies affect some clients is Anger or an attack on them.

It is only sold out in Asmus store. People can still get it easily on Sideshow or BBTS.
Is the condition (price + shipping + tax) from Asmus directly so much better then from elsewhere? At lease not for me...
I bought GtG directly from Asmus and got hit by customs, too. No advantages with Asmus at all.

Last edited:
Some seller undervalue the doll value and pay custom in advance so you don't have to pay custom fees... Asmus doesn't do that anymore and innaddiction fedex overcharge custom fee brcause they absolve that. Unluckily sideshow has the same problem, so i prefer to buy directly from asmus at least i receive the item first.
Maybe Asmus could at least send an email to people who have purchased from tgeir shop before advertising the release and that it will be a very limited release

I think it's more to do with collectors not knowing that this would be a limited release. They sort of just announced that the figure was ready for shipment without preorder and made it seem like it's a general release that wouldn't sell out in a day. After all, like you said, GTG is still available till this day. They must have produced a very small number for this figure to sell out in 1-2 days. A heads up on that when it went up for sale would have helped people understand that and make a decision ahead of time if they wanted to place an order then or not.

It's like Hot Toys announcing a SDCC exclusive without actually letting anyone know that it's a 500 piece limited edition figure. I see where some people are coming from with wanting to have known ahead of time that this would be so limited from the start. Just a small thing that they can improve on with future releases.

I'm just stuck on whether or not this is a figure I really need in my collection. Gone are the days of just buying a figure because it looks good.

I'm just stuck on whether or not this is a figure I really need in my collection. Gone are the days of just buying a figure because it looks good.

Yup. I decided against doubling Gandalfs... I really prefer the shabby Grey look myself, so I have resigned myself long ago to just one Gandalf.

As I said, this Gandalf the White is Asmus' best offering to date and I am envious of those who will have him to display...

...But I have since changed my display requirements... AND I have decide to move toward more custom/high-end pieces where available.

I have a couple of Asmus's hobbits, but I somehow feel like having this GtW (as brilliant as it is) anywhere near them and a GtG would somehow detract from the overall vibe. With very limited space (I honestly keep most of my figures in a closet :ohbfrank:), I decided to cancel my order from SS and--even though the stock doesn't seem nearly as limited there--hope someone else who really wants him more has that chance.
Hate the FOMO and flip-flopping like this and can see why people much prefer the long PO windows.

Yeah that's pretty much where I've landed as well. It's a cool looking figure and I came very close to ordering this week, but it's just not a Gandalf I need badly enough to pay that $400. Especially when I got all these new Exo-6 Trek figures coming that I also need to find money and space for.

Today Exo-6 has put in order for immediate purchase Admiral Kirk from TMP...
Najiin Has told for months that this doll will be a very limited release ones, and have clearly indicated that this will be a that in all his faebook post. Immediatly after they open the order page i (having already bought directly from them) have received an email with the advertising and the direct link to the page itself... then they will only charge 25 usd for international shipping (not fedex) and undervalue the doll so we have only to pay very low custom fees...
i think that Asmus should consider to do the same for all the future release, and have to offer to his customer more shipping option so we can decide to try cheaper ones. Fedex import fees dealing is otrageous...
Anyways, aside for the fast sold out debacle i think it's a wonderfull figure and i can't wait to receive it and display it in my collection

Seems the "sell out" a few days ago gave people the proper FOMO to then order this when it became available again.

Besides that, this is still available like everywhere -- BBTS, Timewalker, AlterEgo, Sideshow...
Yup, got my pre-order in at BBTS. Like most, I didn’t realize this was so limited and was a ‘one run only’ figure.

TBH, I thought I’d be able to grab this set in Q1 next year. I was more focused on scoring the limited Admiral today. That Sold Out in under 5 hours!

He's still up at BBTS and elsewhere, but kudos to EXO and Asmus on these releases. Personally I've enjoyed this immediate shipment from the manufacturer with available 3rd party preorders.

Given how vigorously this has sold so far, once the retailers sell through their allotments, it wouldn't surprise me if they did another run in a few months. I mean, it's not a guarantee, of course, but there's no sense leaving money on the table.

Back