Asmus - Gandalf the White - Crown Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No preorders.
Due to all the negativity they received with some of their releases, they chose to change their procedure.
Now, all new releases will be offered for sale once they are ready to ship; no preorders.

It is now.

Thank you kindly!

When did you order yours? I'm also in the UK and ordered mine first thing on Monday morning but not had any shipping notice yet...
I ordered within a few hours of it becoming available the first time. Can't remember exactly what day that was, to be honest. Took them a few days to ship it, but once sent it was incredibly fast.

Edit: ordered on the 13th.

I ordered within a few hours of it becoming available the first time. Can't remember exactly what day that was, to be honest. Took them a few days to ship it, but once sent it was incredibly fast.

Edit: ordered on the 13th.
Cheers! Hopefully mine is almost ready to go then :)

Ok so did more futzing this morning and wanted to add some additional thoughts.

Shadowfax’s mane is a bit odd to be completely honest. I own two other 1/6 horses by mr. Z and the way the mane comes out of the neck on those feels very natural. Here it’s almost like they really want you to style the mane with a center part which I’ve never seen that on a horse, and because of that laying it to one side shows the “tracks” of hair. It’s not a deal breaker but certainly off.

The staff is definitely too short and I’d say maybe a touch too small in the detail at the top, I have the 1/1 scale replica by UC and I need to measure it but I feel like it could be about 1/2-.75” taller. Also the staff doesn’t have the proper shape on the flat facing, or maybe it does and the details are just too soft.

The sword straps and belt are insanely well done. The first two grey figures were done with a weird plasticy material/ pleather but this feels much closer to what sideshow did on their older Gandalf which imo is the best belt out there for 1/6, but this release really takes a huge step forward in the metal details on the belt. They’re actually a metallic type paint unlike the grey plastic on the last crown figure.

Glamdiring is also much improved. The hobbit Glamdiring was fantastic but didn’t have the runes where the crown has the runes but was more chrome than gunmetal and overall had some weird casting marks on mine. The new white has the color of the hobbit sword with the runes, though oddly the gem in the hilt is still unpainted. With the sword belt be careful as the holes for the sheath are VERY tight. I almost felt like I was going to rip them.

The hair I styled with some water and a q tip and I think it came out pretty good! The beard is kind of hard to style because it’s so short but to be honest don’t think it needs a ton of styling like the gray version. also really weird but this one has a neck joint instead of the magnet. Tbh I kind of liked the magnet

Asmus has really outdone themselves here, and I think Inart now has to really buckle down and work hard on their Grey version which imo is missing ALOT atm.

I shot a quick unboxing last night, shameless plug but I do have some macro shots of some of these things I mentioned if y’all want to check them out.

Attachments

• B4C1C2E5-D4CF-4C8C-887C-6605CAF8283F.jpeg
    B4C1C2E5-D4CF-4C8C-887C-6605CAF8283F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • CFA49ACF-04D3-4AE5-9064-BA1B336251F8.jpeg
    CFA49ACF-04D3-4AE5-9064-BA1B336251F8.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I know I wrote it before, but how likely is it that we get a 3rd party staff?

I might even look around if someone would do a commission for one.

I’m trying to print one but the lattice work is so thin at the top and it’s a very delicate.
May try and combine these in tinkercad to see
If I can eliminate the need for a seam in the middle. I’d say I’m about 30% sure this could work at the moment lol

Attachments

• 6F807C65-8F15-4385-A7D4-208FB9344AE6.jpeg
    6F807C65-8F15-4385-A7D4-208FB9344AE6.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 81E43C06-ECFF-4AF9-AC52-AF890B2A5A43.jpeg
    81E43C06-ECFF-4AF9-AC52-AF890B2A5A43.jpeg
    661.9 KB · Views: 0
Ok so did more futzing this morning and wanted to add some additional thoughts.

Shadowfax’s mane is a bit odd to be completely honest. I own two other 1/6 horses by mr. Z and the way the mane comes out of the neck on those feels very natural. Here it’s almost like they really want you to style the mane with a center part which I’ve never seen that on a horse, and because of that laying it to one side shows the “tracks” of hair. It’s not a deal breaker but certainly off.

The staff is definitely too short and I’d say maybe a touch too small in the detail at the top, I have the 1/1 scale replica by UC and I need to measure it but I feel like it could be about 1/2-.75” taller. Also the staff doesn’t have the proper shape on the flat facing, or maybe it does and the details are just too soft.

The sword straps and belt are insanely well done. The first two grey figures were done with a weird plasticy material/ pleather but this feels much closer to what sideshow did on their older Gandalf which imo is the best belt out there for 1/6, but this release really takes a huge step forward in the metal details on the belt. They’re actually a metallic type paint unlike the grey plastic on the last crown figure.

Glamdiring is also much improved. The hobbit Glamdiring was fantastic but didn’t have the runes where the crown has the runes but was more chrome than gunmetal and overall had some weird casting marks on mine. The new white has the color of the hobbit sword with the runes, though oddly the gem in the hilt is still unpainted. With the sword belt be careful as the holes for the sheath are VERY tight. I almost felt like I was going to rip them.

The hair I styled with some water and a q tip and I think it came out pretty good! The beard is kind of hard to style because it’s so short but to be honest don’t think it needs a ton of styling like the gray version. also really weird but this one has a neck joint instead of the magnet. Tbh I kind of liked the magnet

Asmus has really outdone themselves here, and I think Inart now has to really buckle down and work hard on their Grey version which imo is missing ALOT atm.

I shot a quick unboxing last night, shameless plug but I do have some macro shots of some of these things I mentioned if y’all want to check them out.

Shame about how tan he looks. If he was lighter in complexation he'd be damn near perfect. Still debating if I need him or not. 🤔

Well, the limited release made me jump on that one at BBTS, for reasons of FOMO mostly because now I'm going to have 3 Gandalf? Lol

Shame about how tan he looks. If he was lighter in complexation he'd be damn near perfect. Still debating if I need him or not. 🤔
I feel like my photos make it look a touch darker than he is in reality, my shelf lighting is also not super great.

I've got the figure as well. It's not as dark as most photos have shown. By comparison, I'd say he's just a *slight* bit darker. The reason why I think it appears that way in most of the photos is lighting + the insane amount of detail on the sculpt. Here's a good photo from Reddit for comparison. (It was taken on an iPhone).

IMG_2091.jpeg

I’m trying to print one but the lattice work is so thin at the top and it’s a very delicate.
May try and combine these in tinkercad to see
If I can eliminate the need for a seam in the middle. I’d say I’m about 30% sure this could work at the moment lol
Why is that split to begin with? I think printing it ready to accept a wooden dowel would be the best solution. I would love to make and offer improved ones but I have too much backlog to think about that right now.

Idk, in my shelf his skin tone looks about halfway between Luke Skywalker and Moff Gideon. He looks okay by himself but very dark compared to most other white figures. Age spots or having skin flushed from battle could make him seem a bit darker of complexion compared to other white characters but I think, compared to most 1/6 figures, he is a bit too dark.

Man, he's starting to look good now the futzers are getting to work. £350-£375 good. I still can't bring myself to pay the £465 it would cost me to own him though. Probably gonna need to pull an all nighter to have a hope of snagging a damaged box one from Asmus on their black Friday sale.

As my spirit animal says-
1668798491478.png

Why is that split to begin with? I think printing it ready to accept a wooden dowel would be the best solution. I would love to make and offer improved ones but I have too much backlog to think about that right now.
These are just the files I’ve found online, probably for height reasons as the full prop has to be almost 7’ tall. Printing them as one piece now shoutout to tinkercad lol. The taller is less accurate but a dowl could just slot in

Attachments

• 885BDE8C-53C1-4A5C-A0CA-C70B66AC47AF.jpeg
    885BDE8C-53C1-4A5C-A0CA-C70B66AC47AF.jpeg
    663.6 KB · Views: 0
These are just the files I’ve found online, probably for height reasons as the full prop has to be almost 7’ tall. Printing them as one piece now shoutout to tinkercad lol. The taller is less accurate but a dowl could just slot in
I know Gandalf the Greys staff has a metal rod in it, the split might be to cover that? Or we might be talking about something completely different.

Arrived to Texas today. Great figure really enjoy it. Definitely recommend steaming the outer robe to get wrinkles out. Also, I know Narya wasn’t included because the licensor but I ended up printing one, I think it looks great! Maybe one day we’ll get diecast Narya
Would you be taking orders for one of those rings? 😂

Back