Asmus - Gandalf the White - Crown Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of stock one day after announcement... This is ridiculous. If they didn´t offer to other sellers (don´t see why, since it was not announced as site exclusive), I do not see 100 customers buying it in less thatn 24 hours - unless they produced 10, which would be even more ridiculous considering that the more you produces the more reduced the costs are...
After the Arwen package/Ash debacle, Asmus has lost orientation. As a buyer of their TWO GTG among most of their LOTR figures, I don´t see them competing anymore with new companies (Inart included)
EDIT: and by the way, Asmus, if you are ever reading this - GTW was THE Grail figure I was waiting for years, now it seems that Inart will be my best option. Thanks for giving us loyal customers to react in time, no matter about time change...

Last edited:
Yeah it's very frustrating as I'd say the actual likeness of the GTG sculpt is very good but sadly let down by the eyes and the flat paint. I've got InArt's version on order but I definitely want to keep the Asmus version in the hope that the (long) forthcoming replacement heads will come with better eyes and paint!
Has Asmus made any comments about making another GTG head?

How is this out of stock already? That doesn’t seem possible. I wonder if they only put so much inventory up right now to manage the shipping volume and it’ll be back in stock in a few days.

I had intended to order one this morning, had a busy day yesterday and couldn’t get to it, so I’m a little disappointed to see this but I’m not worried, yet.

The skin colour and skirt look a much better colour in their packaging video this morning.

I kept laughing at that video.. Taking selfies of gandy the white whilst somone is on their hands and knees manically taping up boxes in the background ready to ship! 😂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221114_121200.jpg
    Screenshot_20221114_121200.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 0
How is this out of stock already? That doesn’t seem possible. I wonder if they only put so much inventory up right now to manage the shipping volume and it’ll be back in stock in a few days.

I had intended to order one this morning, had a busy day yesterday and couldn’t get to it, so I’m a little disappointed to see this but I’m not worried, yet.
Same as many here...
I hope it is just their new (questionable) strategy of sending a first batch to get (hopefully good) reviews to attract customers. If so (I hope) I can only wish that second batch won´t dissapoint in quality being different than first batch.
If this is however everything about GTW, I will say goodbye Asmus, this time for good.

It is kinda funny to read collectors being unhappy about Gandalf the White being sold out already but on the other hand, complain about having to pay NDR and wait a year or two for the figure release or how the final product is not as good as the prototype.

Asmus did a pretty awesome job with this Gandalf and I am very happy they sold more than anticipated. I am sure Asmus no longer wants to have figures sitting in stock as they did with Asmus Gandalf the Grey and if the Gandalf the White is going to be "limited" I will be even happier to own it. I am pretty sick of Hot Toys producing ten of thousands of units and then seeing all discounted after release.

It is kinda funny to read collectors being unhappy about Gandalf the White being sold out already but on the other hand, complain about having to pay NDR and wait a year or two for the figure release or how the final product is not as good as the prototype.
With all due respect, that’s absurd. It was in stock for 24 hours. People had no idea how much this would cost and once over $400 USD popped up with shipping, that’s not an easy number to come up with out of thin air going into the holidays.

Or, if you’re like me, maybe you just had a really busy Sunday and planned to order on Monday morning, only to wake up and it’s sold out. There’s a variety of reasons here that this isn’t a good look.

If this lasted a week or two, fine, you might have a point. But 24 hours? That’s actually crazy to be sold out that fast. How many people can sit on the internet all day and wait on a weekend?

This wasn’t a good take.

With all due respect, that’s absurd. It was in stock for 24 hours. People had no idea how much this would cost and once over $400 USD popped up with shipping, that’s not an easy number to come up with out of thin air going into the holidays.

Or, if you’re like me, maybe you just had a really busy Sunday and planned to order on Monday morning, only to wake up and it’s sold out. There’s a variety of reasons here that this isn’t a good look.

If this lasted a week or two, fine, you might have a point. But 24 hours? That’s actually crazy to be sold out that fast. How many people can sit on the internet all day and wait on a weekend?

This wasn’t a good take.
I get the frustration but this is nothing new to collecting. From sneakers to high-end statues like JND or the recent Captain America Stealth Suit version (sold out within hours or minutes).

We have been informed by Asmus, even here on the forums, that this will be a stock item without a preorder window. I hope no one expected 5000 units produced in the first batch. All we can do is now for Asmus to confirm more batches based on the demand.

I just don't think anyone should or could be angry at Asmus for selling out. I am quite happy the Gandalf is sold out. Too often I read in the groups and forums how Asmus is only producing crap and how awesome it is that InArt is here and Asmus will go out of business, so I am glad people are proven wrong.

Last edited:
I’m not angry at them, but so few were produced that something like this was in danger of selling out within a day, the production run size should have been communicated.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this comes out in batches. Also I believe they said other retailers would also carry it.
Only selected ones that carried the original Gandalf in 2019. Giant and OSK confirmed they will not carry Gandalf the White.

I’m not angry at them, but so few were produced that something like this was in danger of selling out within a day, the production run size should have been communicated.
I was talking more about general collectors (reading some of the Facebook groups), not you :)
Maybe even Asmus did not realize how huge the demand for Gandalf the White will be. I am pretty sure that demand for previous Asmus releases was not really that great so Asmus had no reason to overproduce this release and again risk him sitting in stock for months.

Asmus did a pretty awesome job with this Gandalf and I am very happy they sold more than anticipated. I am sure Asmus no longer wants to have figures sitting in stock as they did with Asmus Gandalf the Grey and if the Gandalf the White is going to be "limited" I will be even happier to own it. I am pretty sick of Hot Toys producing ten of thousands of units and then seeing all discounted after release.
With all due respect, there is a slightly difference between one or two years of NRD, and a 24 hours frame between announcing and selling out.
I understand you might be feeling today very furtunate to be one of the chosen ones, but it has nothing to do with a terrible marketing strategy (that marketing pics with the "Bakery Gandalf" didn´t help) and a very unfair treatment to loyal collectors (in my case, I have been purchasing from them since Witch-king was still on stock). To each his own.

With all due respect, there is a slightly difference between one or two years of NRD, and a 24 hours frame between announcing and selling out.
I understand you might be feeling today very furtunate to be one of the chosen ones, but it has nothing to do with a terrible marketing strategy (that marketing pics with the "Bakery Gandalf" didn´t help) and a very unfair treatment to loyal collectors (in my case, I have been purchasing from them since Witch-king was still on stock). To each his own.
You are right. 24 hours is indeed pretty quick (people on vacation, family trip, illness, etc.) so a week or two would be ideal.

Asmus for sure has to work on their business model and marketing. For instance, announce the exact time and day for the preorder and as you said, how many will be available. I believe there will be more batches coming so let's wait for Asmus to confirm here.

Because the figure has been sold out? The demand for this awesome release is huge. Most likely there will be more batches coming.
let's hope this is the case... if a release has such low production number i expext that this was clearly indicated on the order page... i have bouggt all Lotr Asmus doll minus mouth of Sauron... i even have the original gandalf the white... it'm very disappointed

Because the figure has been sold out? The demand for this awesome release is huge. Most likely there will be more batches coming.
By the way, I don´t believe that the demand for this figure is that huge, and in any case much less than for GTG. This is a typical case of what in economics is called "Artificial scarcity", in this case to create a future demand when (hopefully) a second batch comes. This is in my opinion a very ugly gesture towards us collectors who have always supported Asmus and have not even been informed of the limited preliminary offer.

Back