Art Appreciation - Pin-Up Style

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poison Ivy by moi
poison_ivy_by_grphyx1_ddxyrbi-fullview.jpg

I discover new artists on Japanese twitter and instagram. I really like some of the ones that draw in a retro-80s anime style.

This artist caught my attention with a drawing of a schoolgirl wearing Kaneda's jacket and riding his bike. Well, AKIRA is kinda my thing, so once I saw that, there was no going back.

The artist's name is Cotoh Tsumi.

AKIRA by Cotoh Tsumi original.jpg

I'd say the only real problem with her stuff is that she's a bit repetitive and seems to suffer from "same-face-itis."

Here's a series of portraits of five real like Japanese idols, but there's no way I could tell they're not supposed to be the same person. I still really like them, though.

Cotoh the Five in Color braid.jpg

Cotoh the Five in Color headband.jpg

Cotoh the Five in Color ponytail.jpg

Cotoh the Five in Color sad.jpg

Cotoh the Five in Color smile.jpg

She seems good at drawing technical stuff, too, but hey....maybe she traces it. Lots of professional artists trace stuff.

cotoh (12).jpg

I have tons more that I've saved from her twitter and insta, but I'll leave at this one...it's just awesome:

grafitti reprint.jpg

I discover new artists on Japanese twitter and instagram. I really like some of the ones that draw in a retro-80s anime style.

This artist caught my attention with a drawing of a schoolgirl wearing Kaneda's jacket and riding his bike. Well, AKIRA is kinda my thing, so once I saw that, there was no going back.

The artist's name is Cotoh Tsumi.

View attachment 544342

I'd say the only real problem with her stuff is that she's a bit repetitive and seems to suffer from "same-face-itis."

Here's a series of portraits of five real like Japanese idols, but there's no way I could tell they're not supposed to be the same person. I still really like them, though.

View attachment 544343
View attachment 544344
View attachment 544345
View attachment 544346
View attachment 544347

She seems good at drawing technical stuff, too, but hey....maybe she traces it. Lots of professional artists trace stuff.

View attachment 544348
I have tons more that I've saved from her twitter and insta, but I'll leave at this one...it's just awesome:

View attachment 544350

i wanna follow good artists on insta
can you give me names of the best ones?

I mostly follow Japanese artists....I follow Hisashi Eguchi, Misaki Tanaka, Cotoh Tsumi, my absolute favorite bobobobobob58 , Luca Tieri, Peter K. Chung, and of course the American artists Arthur Adams and Frank Miller. There's a fantastic rock concert poster artist named Arian Buhler I follow.

Sadly it seems Otomo Katsuhiro and Bruce Timm don't have their own art pages.

But check out some of these names and you'll find some crazy stuff...maybe some you'll like, maybe not...

Otomo's son Shohei Otomo does crazy illustrations with just ballpoint pen and paper. Real "traditional Japan meets punk/anarchy underground." It's fun stuff, too!

Back