Are discounts making things worse?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goatchumby

Pizza Beast.
CF Supporter
Reaction score
We all know that Daily Deals are great for the patient collector. But I have seen dozens of my day one POs go onto massive discounts; sometimes no more than a week after arrival. If we're all waiting for the things to go on sale, what does that say about the rise in manufacturer pricing and continued demand for new statues/figures in general?

Has Daily Deals become the new release date? How has this affected your collecting habits?

9XO6Lr7.jpg

These ones were personal 😐

I'm still picking up the key pieces because in the end, $50 isn't worth the risk of that one figure being the next Yondu and they you're SOL. But for some of the more eccentric items, I'm inclined to wait and watch the social media traffic. The less I hear about a figure the less inclined I am to get it now. Surprise, finally got Ahsoka yesterday...but I waited.

All that to say I think this is short lived.

This is Sideshow (and others) clearing a LOT of backlog, or finding the means to at least. At the same time it's an excellent hook and sinker for someone who's been tiptoeing around the hobby, but not wanting to commit. If you look around the net, you'll see a lot more "finally got my first ever HT" (it rustles my jimmies when people use the word ever like that but I digress). And it usually is coming from one of the SS sales. We know this is addictive, so make some lost leaders out of the leftovers.

I suspect that once the last 3-4 years of figure stock rinses away, the daily deals will go back to the more bog-standard stuff that SS used to try clearance out.

But yeah, I still get hit once in a while with an "ouch, that's $50 I'll never get back" (Rex comes to mind).

The market reacts with a delay. Pre-pandemic figures were selling great especially thanks to Mando so they produced more to meet expected demand but said demand fell so retailers were stuck with overstock. Now they are putting stuff on clearance buyers will hold off pre-ordering expecting to pay less after release but the distributors are already going to order less and the manufacturers are gonna produce less, so said buyers will eventually find themselves missing out and will return to day 1 pre-orders due to fomo.

After a couple years the production numbers will increase again to meet renewed demand and things will balance out provided no major world events (such as expansion of war in europe or Avian Influenza triggering a new pandemic) get in the way

PO what you are certain you want to be safe :) anything else you are prob safe to wait on (at least for the next 1-2 years that is)

Discounts will make collectors think twice about ordering early, which may have a knock on effect of companies choosing to do less characters that might be risky for them, as they just want a guaranteed home run in terms of sales. It's natural that some people won't want to pay thr initial price so I don't think it has a positive effect on the market, as we get less new characters being made

Back