Anyone else not really like the ‘Like’ button?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

FlyAndFight

©Fly, All rights reserved
CF Supporter
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Reaction score
Okay, I knew I'd find it 😆👍

I just liked that post just now...

I really need to check this part of the forum more regularly. I've missed out on some good stuff.

As for the "like" button, it's definitely a time and space saver. As previously mentioned, no need to quote a funny post and type :lol :lol :lol . Or a post that you agree with and type, "I agree".

I do wish we had a "Dislike" button. Call it a "Boo Button". There are some posts here and there worth the negative vibes... :lecture

GordonGekko

Super Freak
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Reaction score
Label me a troublemaker if you choose, but one can’t help but notice that the participation level on the forums has been on a pretty steady down slope over the past few years.

Age cutoff.

Technically speaking, the probable average age range for a regular poster here is not a "digital native" There's a good chance many here did not have a cell phone in high school, much less smart phone. Maybe not even a pager. (Remember those....)

This is a "traditional forum" so it's really a relic of the initial form of communication when widespread internet was accessible to the average person. Back in 2002, traditional forums were the norm. For many here, that pathway to communicate on the internet was normalized. For younger people ( I'd say the cutoff is probably age 35, so anyone younger than 35 right now) , there's a decent chance all they know is smart phones, tiny screens and apps. How people are consuming media has changed. Most of us remember when you went to a video store to rent a VHS, and you had to hope the movie you wanted, if it was new hot release, would be in stock. Lots of times, it wasn't in stock. You could wait 2-3-4 months before getting your hands on a VHS copy to rent of a movie you wanted to see. That type of "patience" is incomprehensible to young people today.

If participation level is dying off, it's because this form of community and communication is a relic.

Another issue is gaming has changed. I'm not a gamer, but video games have become like interactive movies. They are incredibly immersive. I did play Dishonored a few years back, a rare foray for me into a more modern game, and the writing, music, score, detail, craft and script were all top notch and like a feature film. Or a prestige TV series. I think our hobby has lost many people into the gaming culture. Because, let's face it, games can be interesting, and dealing with people mostly sucks most of the time.

The other thing is when the internet was new, you had all kinds of people online because it was new. As time wore on, now you have mostly people who use online as a proxy for other forms of socialization. Once you get out of college, life can be brutal and lonely. When you are young, things keep changing organically because it's part of the process. But once you are out in the working world, everything becomes very repetitive. You don't meet new hot chicks and new possibilities every time the school semester changes. Now you are just another grunt in a cubicle and running the same routine.

You start losing time. If you get into a relationship, or a marriage or have kids, then there's very little time for a hobby like this.

So yes, this is a dying hobby. And yes, this a dying medium to discuss this hobby or any hobby. Every hobby or it's sub niche has a life cycle. We've all been fortunate in that the timing was just right to hit a Golden Age of Collecting. I'd say this hobby is past the 75 percent mark for it's life cycle. And that's OK.

The "Like" button probably is not the culprit here. The "Pareto Principle" applies here. A small number of people will drive the majority of the conversation. If a hobby is lucky, those people are dynamic and have something interesting to say. If the hobby is unlucky, then it's mostly a group waiting for someone else to entertain them.

Something I've always agreed with in terms of approach from Ronin Six over at the OSW, is that he'd tell people sometimes - "If you don't like what you are seeing now, start some new threads talking about the things you do find interest in and are passionate about." I've always found that to be the most practical approach in these kind of situations.

The last 20-25 percent of our hobby life cycle can still be great. If we want it to be. I encourage you and anyone else here who would like to see more content you favor, to promote and create that content yourself. Be the change you want to see in the world. Be the change you want to see in our hobby. Be the change you want to see in this community.

I am beyond grateful that I got to experience this "Golden Age" in our hobby. If you love the toys, nothing else matters. I try to focus on that. I encourage everyone else to do the same.