ALL GHOST SHOWS THREAD!!!! (etc...)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried watching Project Fear, but they've become too loud, hyperactive and annoying.

Destination Fear put the focus on fear, so it didn't matter so much that they were faking it because the locations were creepy anyway. Project Fear is a retread of the old series, revisiting the same locations, but now Dakota, Chelsea, Tanner and Alex are off the leash, and off the rails.

I tried, but they were irritating from the first few minutes. I skipped forward through the episodes, but I don't have the patience for these scripted 'paranormal' shows any more.

Ouija Brothers and Ghosts on Trent are more to my liking now, and on the fringes, Ghost Theory, who sit between the former two and the glut of extreme fakery that make up most ghost shows.

It's actually satisfying when nothing definitively supernatural happens in an episode, because you know it's real. So when something does happen it has far more impact, because it could actually be genuine evidence.

Most viewers won't be satisfied with seeing nothing occur, because it's boring, so most channels make sure it happens. The first episode of Project Fear, before they've even gone inside Sweet Springs Sanitarium, someone knocks on the door from the inside. :rolleyes:

Well, they did learn their craft from the master of fakery, Zak Bagans.

Ghost shows, and numerous sites like Nuke's Top 5 or Caspersight which gather videos from various sources, have succeeded in creating a simulated reality for so many people. They see and want to see the supernatural everywhere. Even in regular urban exploration videos that have nothing to do with the paranormal there will be people in the comments pointing out "orbs" or "shadow figures".

The truly scary thing isn't ghosts, but that so many of the living have lost the ability for rational, independent thought, and are so willing to believe whatever the presenters show and say. The followers of certain channels exhibit cultish behaviour. They'll go to war to defend their idols: "There's no way _________ would fake content. You're just jealous of their success." etc, etc.

It's really a reaction to science. There's a good series of videos on Youtube made by a group of CGI/video professionals explaining the natural phenomena of digital cameras, and how things are faked in editing. I can't remember the channel name right now, but they explained things like "orbs", and low quality security cameras that can constantly capture a static background, but struggle to capture a person or animal as it passes towards the edge of the frame, making them appear to fade out like ghosts.

One of my favorite shows right now is the Proof is Out there on the History Channel because they actually try to explain and debunk some of these videos floating around on other shows like Paranormal Caught on Camera. The ‘experts’ are wanting to believe every video is real almost to a fault. The paranormal shows have gotten stale. I too enjoyed Destination Fear because it was different from the rest. More often than not, they aren’t going to capture evidence of something- and that’s OK. I’d rather learn more and see more of the locations than have the expectation of something happening. If something happens, great, but it shouldn’t be the norm. And I’d love for some real scientists to start experimenting and exploring the phenomenon seriously at a single location for a lengthy time rather than a day or two. The ghost boxes don’t do anything for me and the x box Kinect stuff is likely faulty readings at best. The secret of skinwalker ranch at least it trying to that. And this season they’ve been more focused on the triangle rather than trying to hit everything all at once. That seems to be working out much better.

Still, I look at these kinds of shows as more entertainment with maybe a hint of science and a dash of history thrown in. It seems we as a society are more open to the possibility of the paranormal more than ever despite having more understanding of our world than ever. That tells me there are still things out there we can’t explain. Why mainstream science seems so reluctant to study unexplained phenomena is really baffling since that is what science is supposed to be doing. If something breaks a law of physics then clearly our understanding is wrong and that should be investigated throughly to find out why rather than dismissed as being impossible. Wi Fi and cell phones might as well be magic to me, as they would to anyone even just 50 years ago. So who’s to say what is and what isn’t possible anymore?

Over the years my taste has definitely changed. I used to want to watch the shows like Ghost Adventures or the more serious YouTube channels. As I’m getting older, I’m starting to realize that I like comedy mixed in with my paranormal shows. I have to say Ghost Brothers and Ghost Files with Ryan and Shane (I’ve become a total Shaniac!) are my absolutely favorites. My girlfriend loves Nukes, so we watch those as well.

As it happens the channel I couldn't remember popped up in my feed just now: Corridor Crew.

This was one of their videos I watched some time ago:

Their debunking playlist:

Back