Advice Needed - Where/How To Sell Off Collectibles?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucky Underbelly

Hoarding Since '70
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been collecting things for about 40 years. And once every decade or so, I usually go through a fairly substantial purge to thin out the physical and mental clutter and clear the decks.

Well, over the last ten or so years, my collection has once again far outgrown my available display space. So it's definitely getting to be that time again.

The trick this time, however, is that the stuff I've been collecting in recent years is a heck of a lot more expensive and valuable than the stuff I collected in my youth. Like a lot of us around these parts, I started small and cheap with action figures. But as the hobby has matured, so have my tastes. Today it's all Hot Toys figures, SS statues, PFs, etc.

Back in the day, when I wanted to purge action figures, I could just take a van-load to a comic shop and get pennies on the dollar ... or ... just throw the stuff away. I mean, they were just cheap, mass-produced plastic back then. Not expensive works of pop culture art like I collect now.

So now I'm faced with the daunting dilemma of having to carefully sell off a fairly expensive pile of nice stuff.

And this has got me tied up in anxious knots because I'm not quite sure how to proceed.

The way I see it, I could either become a Premium Member and sell here on the boards, or try my luck on eBay.

While I've bought plenty of things over the years on eBay, I've never sold anything there. And I've heard a LOT of nightmare stories about how eBay isn't so great for sellers. But I'm understandably nervous because a lot of these items are expensive and could fetch hundreds of dollars each. (It's one thing to get scammed on a $20 sale, but this stuff was substantially larger investment.)

What do you guys think? What would you say are the pluses and minuses of each approach? What should I look out for? What are the pitfalls in your experience? What's worked best for you? Are there other options I don't know about?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :duff

Yeah, I mean shy of Craigslist, I think those are your two best options. eBay has become VERY sketchy - and is definitely pro-buyer. As for protecting yourself as a seller - provide lots of pictures and cover yourself by including insurance and tracking for ALL orders. That's honestly the main thing you can do for eBay, in terms of 'protecting' yourself. And be open to communication in case things go 'south', eBay wants people who will play ball - the minute somebody 'clams up' or throws a tantrum, they've lost - I say this from experience. :lol

If you're American it's a no brainer.
I don't bother listing on here anymore, small European community, but happy to support the board.

If you're American it's a no brainer.
I don't bother listing on here anymore, small European community, but happy to support the board.

Ah. Very true.

Will all of this talk, I need to upgrade myself. I will one day. I love this place.

Excellent points. I was leaning that way. My concern, though, was that because this is a far smaller group (than eBay), I might have trouble selling things because folks likely already have a lot of the same stuff.

But I'm probably overthinking this. :lol

Excellent points. I was leaning that way. My concern, though, was that because this is a far smaller group, I might have trouble selling things because folks likely already have a lot of the same stuff.

But I'm probably overthinking this. :lol

No, I don't think you're overthinking at all. That's a legit point. I also think prices around here would have to be more competitive because you're selling within the community, BUT you're also avoiding eBay fees AND avoiding a huge chunk of shady characters out there. Personally, I would try your luck here first. If it doesn't sell, go to eBay.

I've got stuff on eBay at the moment .... this board only represents 0.1% of the collectors willing to buy.

I put my medicom amazing Spider-Man on the for sale boards here and had an offer for $110
My greedy ass thought I could get more on eBay as its a bigger market, boy I was wrong
Auction ended at $65. :(

Ebay will get you a lot more exposure, and sometimes international customers are willing to pay more especially if the exchange rate is in their favor and they don't have local access to what you're selling. As stated, this board is a very small percentage. There are a lot of ebay horror stories but the majority of people using that platform are not out to screw you. Just document everything well and be very clear, "no warranties, sold as is". If you've got a lot to stuff to off-load, I'd use both options. Sell what you can here then take what doesn't to ebay, just do some research on availability/pricing before you post your auctions.

I actually just sold all my Bowens (55), plus another 8-10 Hot Toys and I ended up using eBay, Facebook groups and another board.
I would say eBay has had the most amount of sales with Facebook groups being second.
With eBay I take pictures of the statue before I pack it, in the packing and then pictures of the item in it's shipping box. The boards and Facebook have a lot of tire-kickers and time wasters that flake out of just drop off the earth when it's time to pay.

Keep track of your prices and adjust for eBay/PayPal fees and make sure you know what you're spending on packing material because that can really add up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sell probably 90% on eBay vs here on the forums(and that includes cheaper prices on the boards too). I hate giving ebay the business, but they have the buyers.

6833_press01-001.jpg

You wouldnt happen to have one of these would you? I would try and sell here first and ebay second. Ive used Craigslist for years with no problems as well.

Excellent advice all around, gents. I think I'll be taking the two-pronged approach and sell in both places, making sure to obsessively photograph, document, track and insure everything.

(Man, locating and pulling all the boxes from storage, making sure all the bits and bobs are accounted for, photographing, and just organizing all of this generally is going to be a pile of work! Here's hoping it's worth it!)

Sorry, Furyan, don't have one of those. I think the liquidation will start with is my HT Nolan Batman stuff and a handful of random Sideshow Star Wars pieces. If things go well, I'll maybe see about selling off my childhood 1970s Kenner Star Wars figures ...

Thanks again to everybody who offered advice! It's much appreciated!

Ultimately, I just want the pieces I sell to go to good homes where collectors will have the space to appreciate them properly. And if the sale price helps me pay down some of my credit card bills, that'd be pretty swell, too!

Also ... any advice about international sales? I'm in the states, so selling/shipping/taxing here is pretty straight forward. What are the pitfalls there?

Should I limit sales to "US buyers only"?

Also ... any advice about international sales? I'm in the states, so selling/shipping/taxing here is pretty straight forward. What are the pitfalls there?

Pitfalls selling internationally are cost of shipping with tracking + insurance, and scammers. You can internationally ship economically but if you or your buyer want tracking you need to send it Registered and that's a big jump in cost. If you add insurance and signature confirmation you're looking at hefty totals depending on the size of the parcel you're shipping.

Just charge the full amount to the buyer. Be aware that with USPS, some countries don't allow you to insure packages so make sure that if you're selling to that country and you get paid as gift so you can't get ripped off by a shady buyer. Also, some countries in Asia don't allow certain types of things to be sold thorugh ebay; I think it's Singapore that doesn't allow "figurines" to be sold so if you want to sell there, statues get listed as figures.

Back