Advice for selling a few things?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

para50

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi
I don't really collect very much anymore. I have a few pieces that I always like to have displayed, but a few others that have been boxed up for years so I figure I should probably try to sell them. I'm not sure how to go about this though so was hoping for some advice.

I know I need a premium account on here to sell anything, which wouldn't be a problem, but I don't know if it would be worth it as I only have a few things to sell and don't have any seller feedback. I considered eBay but I'd be reluctant to sell anything of value on there. One of the things I'd like to try and get rid of is an Enterbay 1/4 Robocop, but it's incredibly flimsy. eBay is fully geared towards buyer protection, so if someone were to buy it and break it, eBay would just force me to refund them, which feels like too much of a risk for something so fragile. I'm not sure if there would be much of a market for collectibles in my area if I was to list on selling sites for collection only. I'm not sure what the best course of action might be for trying to sell a select few things as someone with no profile in the selling community. Would it be worth signing up to sell on here? Are people generally open about buying from new sellers? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

I’m facing a similar issue myself. I sold a couple of figures here some years back hassle-free, but I’d keep an eye on the commerce section to see what kind of activity there is nowadays.

I’m thinking of going down the Facebook marketplace/gumtree route. Listings are free and seems to me less risk from scammers (though maybe just as risky as eBay?).

Don?t be scared of selling on eBay. I am in the process of selling around 50 figures and have been selling and expect the majority to sell on eBay. I have really only had one bad experience in 6 years selling collectibles on there and really that was just being forced to do a return.

Check recent sold listings and then list as Buy It Now for similar price. Go into your account settings and enable some of the available buyer restrictions to weed out some of the sketchy buyers. This is key. Also, state that you do not offer returns, but be prepared that you will need to accept one in the rare instances a buyer demands it. I usually state in my listings that I do not accept buyers with less than a certain amount of feedback. If someone still buys and you cancel it, worst case is they leave negative feedback that you can just call eBay to get removed since it was already a stated policy in your listing that the buyer ignored. Take as many clear and detailed pictures as you can, limit to upload is 12. Pack as well as you can and always go for the signature confirmation for valuable items, I usually do it anything $150+

The biggest benefit of selling on eBay is that even with the seller fees and taxes the buyer also has to pay, you can still sell for better prices and more quickly because of the much wider audience. People on here and Facebook typically expect to get something at a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
:goodpost: Good advice, especially re: pics (you can get around paying for multiple pics by creating a single, image-rich document for your listing/item description).

...also eBay can be more attractive if you're not in a hurry and can take advantage of their 'no fees' offers. Last one I got in my inbox was to sell ten items for zero insertion or selling fees.

:goodpost: Good advice, especially re: pics (you can get around paying for multiple pics by creating a single, image-rich document for your listing/item description).

...also eBay can be more attractive if you're not in a hurry and can take advantage of their 'no fees' offers. Last one I got in my inbox was to sell ten items for zero insertion or selling fees.

Yup. Unfortunately I have not received a zero selling fees offer in over a year at this point so I think that they have been phasing those out along with the 10% off promos. It has probably been two years since I have seen a 10% off anything promo.

ebay can be a mixed bag, but generally people who seek out and buy collectibles on eBay are collectors themselves. I've only had mostly positive experiences.

As long as the item is as described and documented clearly, you should be fine. Just be sure to familiarize yourself with the changes they've made to the payment system, which now requires linking a bank account to receive payment instead of PayPal.

With such a wide array of items being sold catering to a multitude of demographics, customer types really vary from product type to product type.

ie. People who sell electronics like game consoles, smartphones, etc. generally should worry a bit more about being potentially scammed, and people who sell clothes are a bit more worried about having to handle complaints and returns.

But I've also had extremely positive experiences selling here, and there's still an active market. It wouldn't hurt to try to gauge interest for what you have on the forum as well.

You might try just posting in the figure thread that you're selling yours, and people will PM you.

I thought that was against the rules, but I've seen moderators do it, so ..... I guess not.

Hi
I don't really collect very much anymore. I have a few pieces that I always like to have displayed, but a few others that have been boxed up for years so I figure I should probably try to sell them. I'm not sure how to go about this though so was hoping for some advice.

I know I need a premium account on here to sell anything, which wouldn't be a problem, but I don't know if it would be worth it as I only have a few things to sell and don't have any seller feedback. I considered eBay but I'd be reluctant to sell anything of value on there. One of the things I'd like to try and get rid of is an Enterbay 1/4 Robocop, but it's incredibly flimsy. eBay is fully geared towards buyer protection, so if someone were to buy it and break it, eBay would just force me to refund them, which feels like too much of a risk for something so fragile. I'm not sure if there would be much of a market for collectibles in my area if I was to list on selling sites for collection only. I'm not sure what the best course of action might be for trying to sell a select few things as someone with no profile in the selling community. Would it be worth signing up to sell on here? Are people generally open about buying from new sellers? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

I would be curious to hear how your selling experience goes and which site you decided to sell on.

I have a few figures to sell myself but Ive heard horror stories about eBay.

The biggest knock against eBay in my book is that they cut into your overall profits. Otherwise the times I’ve sold there have gone smoothly.

Had a small hiccup and a bit of a scare with one figure because it took so long to be delivered due to the slowness of the USPS. The person who bought it filed a claim, but decided to close it since there really wasn’t anything I could do, and luckily it showed up shortly afterwards.

Since then I’ve switched to shipping via UPS. Seems more reliable and packages are easier to track. Plus it doesn’t really cost a lot more to ship via UPS Ground versus USPS Priority Mail from what I’ve experienced so far.

The biggest knock against eBay in my book is that they cut into your overall profits. Otherwise the times I?ve sold there have gone smoothly.

Had a small hiccup and a bit of a scare with one figure because it took so long to be delivered due to the slowness of the USPS. The person who bought it filed a claim, but decided to close it since there really wasn?t anything I could do, and luckily it showed up shortly afterwards.

Since then I?ve switched to shipping via UPS. Seems more reliable and packages are easier to track. Plus it doesn?t really cost a lot more to ship via UPS Ground versus USPS Priority Mail from what I?ve experienced so far.

True, but honestly you can list items for much higher there than here or on FB and still make out with pretty much the same end final value after fees.

My big issue with eBay these days is the mandatory switch over to their managed payments system, which means it is like a week before you get your sale revenue deposited into your bank. They were touting how it would actually be a little cheaper in the end for most sellers compared to the combo of their old fees plus the PayPal fee, but so far my experience has been that it is basically the same but now with the extra inconvenience of having to wait like a week for your payout as well. Massive, massive fail on their part.

My big issue with eBay these days is the mandatory switch over to their managed payments system, which means it is like a week before you get your sale revenue deposited into your bank. They were touting how it would actually be a little cheaper in the end for most sellers compared to the combo of their old fees plus the PayPal fee, but so far my experience has been that it is basically the same but now with the extra inconvenience of having to wait like a week for your payout as well. Massive, massive fail on their part.

You can switch to a daily payout. It's an option in the Settings.

I initiated a payout on Friday and it hit my bank account Monday evening.

You can switch to a daily payout. It's an option in the Settings.

I initiated a payout on Friday and it hit my bank account Monday evening.

Ya I have it set to daily payouts. Still takes a few days for buyer payment to complete processing then another 3-4 business days for it to hit my bank account after the payout is initiated. So about a week on most transactions for me so far.

If you are handy with arts and crafts, you can sell these through sites like Etsy, Artfire, Handmade at Amazon and Cargoh

I decided to sell a couple figures on eBay to give it a shot. So far it was ok.

There was a ?free listing? promo going but I ultimately ended up having to pay selling fees (~$50 for a month). PayPal also takes a cut, which was about $10 per sale. Both figures were sold at around $250-$280.

One thing I didnt like about it is I dont recall seeing that $50 end of month seller fee mentioned anywhere prior to listing. Im assuming its in the fine print.

A couple things I did like is how easy it was to list an item for sale and you can pay for shipping costs on the site at a discount.

I’ve never had any issues selling on eBay or mercari. Just as long as you are detailed with your listing, you should be good.

As the title says, I have a massive collection of The Simpsons memorabilia. Majority of it is all sealed in original packaging. I have a good amount of very early Simpsons gear as well as other things collected up until maybe 2004-05. I've since stopped collecting and have just held onto it all since then. So my question is what would be your alls recommendation for selling this collection? Would ebay be my best bet? Should I do it in lots? Such as boar game lots, action figures, early collectables? Or should I list everything individually on ebay? Or is there a better place for me to sell everything? Do you think it would be best to hold onto it for longer? I always said I wouldn't sell it until the show got cancelled, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Really need some money to pay off school debts. I doubt any of it is very valuable, since I don't think there's much of a market for Simpsons collectables. But I could be wrong and I have a large amount. Thanks for any input!

Back